Motion Sickness

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Alright, quick question.

I get motion sickness, and this is a major concern for me. I want to enter the EMS field, but I realize that it could be problematic if I get sick while attending a patient in the back of an ambulance.

I used to get motion sickness worse than I do now, so it might be something I grow out of (19 years as of now).

But if it is not, is there any way that I could overcome motion sickness, or "train" myself to not get it? I realize that there are medications, but I would only want to use those as an absolute last resort.

I did a search, but I don't really recall seeing anything about "training."

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to start training myself (if it is possible) as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Eric

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
ginger is a good home remedy. there are many medications, most of them falling in the Anticholinergic antiemetics class. i used to give the ginger to one of my dogs who got motion sickness. Also I believe being in a bigger vehicle may help. I get car sick if i am riding passenger in friend's cars that are small, but I feel much better in larger cars such as an SUV. I have never had any problem wth motion sickness in an ambulance. the last part is personal experience only.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
the last part is personal experience only.

So would it be possible to get over motion sickness by just putting myself in situations where I would get it, until I get used to those situations? Such as trying to read while I am in the car?

EDIT: Come to think of it, I read the quoted part of your post wrong <_<. But the question still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I don;t think so. Motion sickness comes from your senses getting mixed up. Your eyes see solid objects, but you're moving in a way that doesn't make sense to your brain. What you see and feel as a solid object is moving around unnaturally based on what your other senses are telling you. This confusion makes you feel queasy. So, yes, it's mental, but it's not something you can mentally rewire.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness while in a bus was during my internship. Riding around being the box troll for 12 hours takes it's toll on my stomach. Didn't bother me when I had a pt, cause then I had something else to concentrate on

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I find I sometimes get queasy when writing a PCR in the back of the rig when were on a slightly rolling road. Every now and again it just pops up.

When I feel it coming on I immediately stop writing and start doing something else. Talking to the pt, take another set of vitals...wherever.

I have never puked in the back of the rig. :)

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Would it be possible to just take Dramamine (the non-drowsy kind)? Or would that be frowned upon by management?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
You can try to take Dramamine or Benadryl... both are antihistamines and histamine plays a part in nausea and vomiting... take them before hand and learn how they make you feel... some they make tired others not so much.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You can try to take Dramamine or Benadryl... both are antihistamines and histamine plays a part in nausea and vomiting... take them before hand and learn how they make you feel... some they make tired others not so much.

But it won't be a problem with an employer?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't see why it would... its an over the counter medication... no different than if you took a cold medicine. As long as it doesnt make you tired or affect your performance its none of their concern as long as its a legal substance.

No different than people who take daily prescribed meds for a problem.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Here ya go....

"Motion and body position are sensed through the vestibular apparatus. Motion sickness, such as car sickness and seasickness, are mediated through the vestibular apparatus, as are inner-ear diseases, such as Meniere's disease. The vestibular apparatus may once have served as a sensor for certain neurotoxins (such as alcohol) that can produce disequilibrium. Stimulation of the vestibular apparatus by alcohol may provide a survival advantage in keeping our species from, literally, drinking ourselves to death. Stimulus of the vestibular apparatus is mediated largely through histamine and acetylcholine receptors."

Antihistamines usually work well for motion sickness for this reason... they block histamine. Give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Medichopeful,

This is not medical advice and of course, I am no Doc. My family Physician (an M.D.) is a homeopath. I tried a homeopathic remedy called Nux (nux vomica 30x) to combat a bad case of motion sickness when I first did 3rd rides more than 15 years ago. Nux worked just fine for me. After the first week or so, I seldom needed it.

5 x sl globules 4 times the day before a ride. Use it the same number of times on the day you ride and a couple of times a day thereafter for a week...stop for a week and do this again. After that it should be an as needed thing now and then. It is okay to use nux every 15 minutes until symptoms subside for acute motion sickness. My preference is the Hyland brand. Boiron is my second choice. Good luck.

Porky1

Forum Probie
Several years ago I had a partner that got motion sickness frequently. If I could keep him from looking out the back it didn't affect him as bad. He stayed busy in the back often such as getting a more thorough history, repeat vital signs, all the right things. Once or twice he shared the emesis basin with the patient but rarely. I rode in the back often and let him drive. He always drove to the scene. Meds like benadryl didn't work for him because it made him sleepy. I don't really have any definitive answers but try some of the things my partner used to do. You can work through any problem if you want it bad enough.

medic417

The Truth Provider

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
I have issues with motion sickness as well. It doesn't effect me when I'm doing patient care. I'm too busy thinking about the care that I'm providing to think about it.

I would suggest that you try to find a job where you have short transport times and stay away from IFT services.

Hockey

Quackers
A sip of whiskey always does the trick ;)

In all seriousness, I have only got sick from the rocking in the biggggggg old ambulance we used to have. And we were going in circles down a hill covered in ice. Other then that I've been one of the lucky few ;)

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I would suggest that you try to find a job where you have short transport times and stay away from IFT services.

I am aiming for Boston EMS, so the transport times shouldn't be that long.

I will probably just end up taking non-drowsy Dramamine. That should solve the problem.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Just shoot yourself up on the Metoclopramide kicking around in the back of the ambulance...course to make it look legit on the books you'd have to take some morphine as well....works for me :rolleyes:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I am aiming for Boston EMS, so the transport times shouldn't be that long.

I will probably just end up taking non-drowsy Dramamine. That should solve the problem.

Before using a drug try the altoids or other ginger mint. Some also do good with the atomic jaw breakers which also help kill sense of smell.

Hockey

Quackers
Contact your Doctor. Talked with a buddy of mine and they gave him some medication that he takes.