Julio Velazquez

Forum Ride Along
So I have been looking into paramedic programs and was wondering who has recently gone through Moreno Valleys paramedic program, I had a few questions about it.

What do they consider prehospital hours?

Are they still having you do marchs, pt, and community service hours?

Where are their clinical sites/how many shifts are done?

Who do they ride along with for internship/ how many shifts ?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Any of the RivCo peeps on here may have some insight, not that I can say I recall them going there but perhaps @CALEMT and/ or @DesertMedic66 have some of the recent skinny.

I went to the "other" RivCo paramedic school sometime ago, and trained a handful full of RCC guys when they came to where I am now. Apparently it isn't even called RCC anymore:rolleyes:.

I know Dr. Nollete is somewhat known throughout the EMS community fairly well, 10 gallon hat and all, but that's about all I got. Oh, and they used to (still might?) break their internship into half Cal Fire ALS engine time/ half AMR ambulance time.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Any of the RivCo peeps on here may have some insight, not that I can say I recall them going there but perhaps @CALEMT and/ or @DesertMedic66 have some of the recent skinny.

I went to the "other" RivCo paramedic school sometime ago, and trained a handful full of RCC guys when they came to where I am now. Apparently it isn't even called RCC anymore:rolleyes:.

I know Dr. Nollete is somewhat known throughout the EMS community fairly well, 10 gallon hat and all, but that's about all I got. Oh, and they used to (still might?) break their internship into half Cal Fire ALS engine time/ half AMR ambulance time.
It's now Riverside City College. No more PT no more marches from what ive been told. You do have a second option across the freeway that has raving reviews, Crafton Hills College. I beleive they do like vent monkey said half and half. Definitely way cheaper than NCTI Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's now Riverside City College. No more PT no more marches from what ive been told. You do have a second option across the freeway that has raving reviews, Crafton Hills College. I beleive they do like vent monkey said half and half. Definitely way cheaper than NCTI Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
RCCo_O?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Okay so you're in luck kid (always wanted to use that line!) I JUST went through the "orientation" for them back in August. Unfortunately I didn't get in (52 people and only 30 spots). I've had several friends go through the program and with my experiences with it I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. Okay and here we go:

What do they consider prehospital hours?

Generally anything thats outside the hospital setting. Hence the name prehospital. Generally they're looking for ambulance time. You can get by the application/ orientation phase with BLS experience and out of county experience (i.e. you work in ICEMA, OC, LACo). 911 experience in REMS (riverside co) is preference but not required.

Are they still having you do marchs, pt, and community service hours?

As far as I understand they don't do pt anymore. Marches to the extent of my knowledge is a negative ghostrider. They will stand in "formation" to raise and lower the flag at 0800 every morning with the fire academy. Community service hours they still do. I forgot just how much it was but its nothing to bad. You can't just buy toys for kids anymore and have that count for community service. They actually want you out there doing community service.

Where are their clinical sites/how many shifts are done?

You do hospital rotations primarily in the Riverside area. You need X amount of hours per "area" (i.e. OB, burn, trauma) maybe my good pal Desertmedic can shed more light on this subject. Your actual field time on a rig is 40 shifts. 20 on a fire engine and 20 on a ambulance. Generally the medic students will ride out at a Riverside County fire station for the engine shifts. The ambulance shifts will generally go to the AMR divisions in the county: Riverside, Hemet, and Palm Springs.

Who do they ride along with for internship/ how many shifts ?

See the above post for that answer, got a little ahead of myself.

Anyway apps are accepted year round I believe. Theres only 1 class that starts in September. In the meantime if you have your A/P with labs I would suggest applying to Crafton Hills College for their medic program. Those apps open up around March I believe. Don't hold out on just one school. I applied at RCC and didn't get in due to the amount of applicants. So I applied to Crafton, tested, and was accepted into their medic program starting in January. Both are good schools, don't hold out. If you have any further questions you can PM me if you so desire.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Woooops I had a brain fart! It's still called MVC lol a better county not only for having so many paramedic school options but better protocols as well.
As of now way more progressive (by California standards--->insert grain of salt) than Kern County undoubtedly, but protocol-wise, they were pretty beast when I was going through p-school.

I could have sworn it has a more "technical college" name now. The current AMR RivCo ops manager went there. He was one of our paramedic instructors, and spoke highly of RCC.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Each program requires a different amount of internship hours. I did not go to RCC so I don't have information that is 100% accurate. From what I have heard they still stand at attention for the flag every morning, uniform inspections every day, for graduation you have to buy a class A uniform.

I can only give valid information for Crafton Hills College as that is the program I went to and am still involved with.

CALEMT

Feel free to ask me any questions on crafton's process. I'm sure my good pal Desertmedic will also be more than willing to answer any questions you have.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Feel free to ask me any questions on crafton's process. I'm sure my good pal Desertmedic will also be more than willing to answer any questions you have.
Crafton Hills? I remember those guys. I used to steal their tubes during my internship at RCH.

CALEMT

Crafton Hills? I remember those guys. I used to steal their tubes during my internship at RCH.

Lol I'm going to be a savage during my internship. Nowhere will be safe, I'll be snatching errbodys tubes.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Lol I'm going to be a savage during my internship. Nowhere will be safe, I'll be snatching errbodys tubes.
If the Stilson's are still EM doctors there, senior is cool AF, junior was an *******.

CALEMT

If the Stilson's are still EM doctors there, senior is cool AF, junior was an *******.

I'm hoping to intern at DRMC closer drive for me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Luckily I was the only medic student at my clinical ED site. I played rock, paper, scissors with the ED resident for tubes.