More Medics Who Don't Assess

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Baltimore Paramedics Investigated for Treatment

RICHARD IRWIN
The Baltimore Sun

The city Fire Department is investigating the emergency medical treatment medics gave a man shot by a police officer responding to a burglary at a Northwest Baltimore grocery store early Saturday.

The medics had pronounced the man dead at the scene, but he is alive at an area hospital. His name was not released.

Chief Kevin Cartwright, a Fire Department spokesman, said an internal probe is being conducted by Fire Department officials. He declined to identify the medics.

About 4:30 a.m. Saturday, Northwestern District police responding to a burglary at Shon's Food Market in the 4700 block of Garrison Blvd. in West Arlington encountered a man inside the store who lunged at the officers with what appeared to be a knife, police said. One officer fired at least one shot from his .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic handgun, hitting the man in the head. The weapon the man carried turned out to be a screwdriver.
How many times is it gonna take for Paramedics to realize the obvious isnt always the obvious...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Wow someone is going to loose their cert over this one.... Not good at all

surub

Forum Crew Member
That's unfortunate

EMS49393

Forum Captain
The same medic unit. I wonder how they felt when they returned for this man they pronounced dead?

BCFD has very few actual paramedics that work in the medic units. For years they had this FPA (firefighter paramedic apprentice) program where they put people through the intermediate class in the academy. I understand the last couple of classes had very few of them actually pass and be placed on the medic unit. The company I work for hold a paramedic class in six months. Both of these programs put out the very worst providers. They have the same feeling that most urban systems have, quantity over quality. After all, you never use any of that anatomy/physiology stuff anyway. :rolleyes:

I came to work for my company two years ago, and in two years four of their medic mill medics have lost their certifications. They turn out an average of 8 medics a year. Eight medics, and after a year only six of them are able to maintain their certification. That's pitiful.

Several years ago another BCFD medic lost his certification for abandoning a patient in the ER waiting room. The patient died a short time after transport. He never transferred care, and no one even knew the woman was there because she couldn't physically take herself up to the desk and check in. I knew the guy personally, and he was a crap medic that could have cared less about patients, so it was to patient benefit that he is no longer in the business.

<Insert need for increased education standards speech here>

TRowe

Forum Probie
How is this even possible? What could the excuse be? I guess they just assumed he was dead. Oh well. I guess next time they will take the 15 seconds to check for a pulse. Not that hard.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Did they change title to Paramedic because the news title was originally EMT?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Did they change title to Paramedic because the news title was originally EMT?

Don't pretend this hasn't happened to paramedics too.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't pretend this hasn't happened to paramedics too.

Oh I'm not remember San Antonio. Just seems odd that the title changed.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Seems our poster may have changed it. Why the change?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-emts0803,0,2844825.story

EMTs investigated after man mistakenly pronounced dead

By Richard Irwin and Brent Jones

Baltimore Sun reporters

2:17 PM EDT, August 3, 2009

The city Fire Department is investigating the emergency medical treatment medics gave a man shot by a police officer responding to a burglary at a Northwest Baltimore grocery store early Saturday

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
How is this even possible? What could the excuse be? I guess they just assumed he was dead. Oh well. I guess next time they will take the 15 seconds to check for a pulse. Not that hard.

If there is a next time.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Seems our poster may have changed it. Why the change?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-emts0803,0,2844825.story

EMTs investigated after man mistakenly pronounced dead

By Richard Irwin and Brent Jones

Baltimore Sun reporters

2:17 PM EDT, August 3, 2009

The city Fire Department is investigating the emergency medical treatment medics gave a man shot by a police officer responding to a burglary at a Northwest Baltimore grocery store early Saturday

Some people use "Medics" to describe all manner of emergency medical persons. Eh, don't harp on it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The article uses EMT and Medic interchangeably. Does BCFD use BLS providers for their ambulances?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my lecturers in first year liked to tell a little story to illustrate the foolishness of assumptions.

He and his partner were called to a car accident. Unconciouss female slumped over steering wheel and the car was fairly seriously damaged. His partner approaches the woman, recoils back and returns to my lecturer and says, "Don't bother, she's a mess, covered in blood and her heads in bits". My lecturer approaches to check her properly, and finds that she is actually covered in the tomatoes and diced vegetables that had been lying on the seat behind her before she collided with the telephone pole.

This was all very funny until he drove his point home: Because of her conscious state and her position, she couldn't and wasn't breathing. She quite probably would have died had they not performed a proper assessment in addition to their initial impressions, and simply appropriately positioned her airway. Luckily, she only ended up with a nasty bump on the head, thanks to nothing more than proper assessment.

medic417

The Truth Provider
The article uses EMT and Medic interchangeably. Does BCFD use BLS providers for their ambulances?

Yes but OP appears to have changed title, why? I have no problem understanding the public calls us all ambulance drivers, emt's, medics, Paramedics regardless of what we really are. Just wondering why the title got changed to be posted here?

I hope this city did not allow EMT's to determine death. Surely they actually were Paramedics, though apparently not very well educated ones since they missed life.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS49393

Forum Captain
They were probably intermediates which, in Maryland, are ALS providers. They can do nearly everything we can do only they have to consult for most advanced procedures.

I just happen to have my protocol book here at work with me and I'll present you with the Presumed Dead On Arrival protocol:

1. Purpose: This protocol is designed to assist the provider with the presumption of death in the prehospital setting.

2. Indications: Presumption of death in the field (without initiation of resuscitation) should be considered only in the following instances:
a. Decapitation
b. Decomposition
c. Rigor mortis
d. Pulseless, apneic patient in a multiple casualty situation where system resources are required for stabilization of living patients
e. Pulseless, apneic patient with injury not compatible with life (with the exception of an obviously pregnant female where resuscitation attempts should be initiated and the patient transported to the nearest appropriate facility)

I'm going to skip ahead to number 4.
4. Precautions
c. Do not attempt to guess future outcomes based on the appearance of the patient (e.g., shotgun blast to the face of suicide victim). Failure to act because of mistaken notions of outcome will resutl in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Did they violate protocol? That's the million dollar question.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
We've had a few similar cases in CT. I will try to research the outcome of the individuals that treated the pts.

OP
OP
ResTech

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I didn't change the title.. that was copied directly from emsresponder.com.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I didn't change the title.. that was copied directly from emsresponder.com.

So emsresponder is the guilty party. Get a rope.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Although highly doubtful that there would have been NO ALS on that scene, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. BCFD does have this thing called a "critical alert" where they put a couple of van type ambulances in service with some highly p***ed off EMT's they pull off of fire trucks. It might be a fire fighter that had a pint of Ben & Jerry's waiting for him that determined the guy was dead. It probably wasn't, but just sayin'... It could have been.