Millitary Time... Watch

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not an over exaggeration. I constantly have to subtract for military time. If I'm given a time in the PM that is military (1800, 2000, etc) I have to subtract to figure out what time that is in the 12 hour system.

LOL, guess I am just "fluent" in military time.

Should take all of 2 days to master it, but anyways...get your watch!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
LOL, guess I am just "fluent" in military time.

Should take all of 2 days to master it, but anyways...get your watch!

I only use it at work and I don't work that often haha.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Military time: It is used all over the world though not much here in North America. I have heard a lot of people have trouble translating the time when listed in military time – or a 24 clock – in their heads. This is something I have never had difficulty with ever since I figured out a little trick a bunch of years ago. Today I am going to share it with you:

All I do is take away 2 from any number listed in military time (above 12) and drop the first number.

Examples:

1300 becomes 1 because 13-2=11. Drop the first 1 and you are left with a 1.
2100 becomes 9 because 21-2=19. Drop the first number from 19, the 1, and you are left with a 9.

I have tried to explain this to other people and they look at me like I’m crazy. To me, this makes perfect sense and I hope it does for you too.

Quoted from: http://levynewsnetwork.wordpress.co...e-my-trick-to-easily-translate-it-in-my-head/

To me the translation just occurs automatic, but that is after 8 yrs. in the Military. Now running the ships bells to tell time takes a bit more explanation... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
You work tomorrow at 2000. "Ooh :censored::censored::censored::censored: I don't know military time. Uhhh 20-12 is 8 so I work at 8 tomorrow night".

null_zpsda9e9671.gif

It was just a question, calm down.