Men's Health Magazine wants EMS stories

VentMedic

Forum Chief
This is a rather different call for news stories in a men's health magazine that has readers in the EMS profession.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/artic...item=b56a9bd5d6228110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Tell Us Your EMS Horror Story
We want to hear about rescues gone wrong

Have you waited -- and waited -- for an ambulance to arrive? Anything more than 9 minutes is too long, according to recommended standards.

Have you -- or someone you know -- had less than stellar care from an Emergency Medical Technician or paramedic when they did arrive?

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/homepage.do

dschambers3

Forum Probie
WOW! I am really disappointed in them for wanting to write an article like that. Yeah there have been bad EMS calls, but come on that is a slap in the face. I have a subscription to that magazine too. Shame.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Meh, I saw "what ever" to rubbish like that. Sure, with the amount of morons working in EMS [management, dispatch, patient care, and other wise] there are bound to be horror stories. No field is perfect and no field should be above reproach. Personally, I'd rather save my energy for things that count, like keeping the fire department out of EMS.

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
Wow...that's rather disrespectful. Whether you're a complete moron or the most intelligent, slickest EMT on the face of the planet, you deserve respect. EMTs take the job that many physically and mentally couldn't even dream of doing. Thumbs down.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I left a comment, (PJK) in regards that the Editors may want to really think this one out in lieu that the majority of the demographics of EMS is males between the ages of 20-35 (their reader demographics) and I am advising JEMS so they possibly can link for more comments.

Poor judgement since many readers are firefighters and medics.

R/r 911

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
However, if it is written well with quality references to education standards, differences in training proficiencies and vehicle safety, it just might be a worth while article.

If they go into too much detail about the 48 different certifications in the U.S. and the Medic mills, there will be some questions.

Lights and sirens used by BLS transport companies because they are double booked and need the trucks to routine destinations could also be examined.

The lack of training proficiencies and skills/knowledge competencies could also be scrutinized.

While there is a lot of good articles written, we haven't cleaned up our house even though we knew the day would come when the public might get a closer look at our deficiencies.

Hopefully there will be stellar examples of the profession also in the article.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
its going to be like every other story written by the media, a scaremongering article that will sell some copies of the magazine. Most subscribers will read the story and forget about it.

NJWhacker

Forum Probie
I say everyone write to the editor and let them know how wrong and disrespectful this article is. If we pass this around to fellow members of squads and other EMT/Medics Im sure we could fill their inbox.

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
That is really disappointing....wouldn't think a magazine of that caliber would be calling for submissions bashing such an important public service.

:(

-Matt