Meeting with the TBI

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Hey all I was just informed that I have to meet with the TBI over a shooting I worked back in Sept. My pt was the shooter and 2 ended up dead. Has anyone else ran into this and what exactly is going to take place? The pt was drunk and making passes at me(to put it nicely) That was the first thing TBI wanted to know about when they got me on the phone. Does anyone know what they will expect of me? Do i have to go to court and testify or what....I really don't want any part of the whole mess, this guy was not a very nice pt. he was very threatening to everyone involved and 2 are already dead. Any one give any advice? :(

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by kyleybug@Jan 11 2005, 06:06 AM
Hey all I was just informed that I have to meet with the TBI over a shooting I worked back in Sept. My pt was the shooter and 2 ended up dead. Has anyone else ran into this and what exactly is going to take place? The pt was drunk and making passes at me(to put it nicely) That was the first thing TBI wanted to know about when they got me on the phone. Does anyone know what they will expect of me? Do i have to go to court and testify or what....I really don't want any part of the whole mess, this guy was not a very nice pt. he was very threatening to everyone involved and 2 are already dead. Any one give any advice? :(
I would have to say plan on many days in court.. you had contact with the shooter you spoke to him he spoke to you... you to spent time together .. while he was being treated...you were able to smell him (ETOH).. the lawyers will ask you everything you can thing off.. what when were how... ....what did he say how did he say it.. was he loking at you when he spoke.. were was he looking... whay wasn't he looking at you.... enjoy :)...
as along as you are doing this kind of stuff.. you will see had hear more than most people will ever see and hear.. and there will be many times when the court will have to decide what reallly went on.. and you are part of that

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Just be truthful and relax. It might be a good idea to jot down everything you remember now, before you go in there and they start asking you questions - it can get very confusing. That's what I did when I was in a similar situation. It helped me feel sure that I really told the truth and that I really told the story how it happend - not how the DA or anyone else suggested it happened.

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
I was afraid of that :angry: This guy already interups my sleep with the nightmares of the things he said to me and the things that he said to others. I can still see that bloody sneer of his as clear as day. I really had hoped that the whole scene and the fact that he admitted to shooting the 2 and the witnesses on scene would have been enough to leave me out of it, this man is a very whacked out individual, he shot these men over a dog. Well that is what he said anyways, I have a feeling it had more to it than that but I never did find out all of the story, I really just wanted to leave everything including him at the ER and be done with it. I guess I can forget that :(

rescuecpt

Maybe you won't have to testify in the end, you never know. If he confessed then hopefully he'll plead guilty and they can skip straight to sentencing...

Just share your concerns with the DA, and tell him you don't feel safe - it's really difficult for them to compel you to testify - so maybe they can offer you some sort of protection in exchange.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Having been in law enforcement... I have the sneaking suspicion that (s)he is taking an insanity plea. I would get comfortable and prepare for a long drawn out trial. But relax, talk to the DA and REQUEST protection. Since it is a murder investigation, and you ARE involved, weather you like it not, you need to be covered.

Expect your PCR to be pulled as well as both you and your partner(s) testimonies to be taken.

Most of all, let us know how things go. We all have your back.

Right Guys?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 11 2005, 10:07 PM

Right Guys?
Hells yea!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Expect your PCR to be pulled as well as both you and your partner(s) testimonies to be taken.
also, re-evaluate your PCR - MAKE DAMN SURE your butt is covered. If you left something glaring out, possibly talk with your chief about adding an ammendment

Jon

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
I pulled the PCR myself as soon as I heard TBI was trying to get ahold of me. I am an EMT-IV and my partner was a medic so he had the responsibility of writing the PCR. It is to say the least very minimal. I read it and it is so vauge, it states that our pt was combative and threatening but it gave no details as to how he was combative or how he was threatening. I about fell over when I read it. My partner that day is the best narrative writer and he left out a lot of the things that took palce. I haven't had a chance to review it with him as he is not a full time medic and I haven't seen him. He may very well write the PCRs that way on purpose I am not sure but it was very uninforming. It just stated that pt was at gun point upon our arrival and he was unable to obtain a full set of vitals due to combativeness and threats. It left out a bunch of facts like we had to hurry and get the hell out of there before we could finish due to the scene becoming unsafe(DOA's friend showed up at the back of our truck and tried to get in) He left out that whole part, I am not sure if I should mention anything he left out or not, will it get him into trouble if I do? I am so new to all of this, I am really not sure of anything at this point. :blink:

rescuecpt

Having been in law enforcement... I have the sneaking suspicion that (s)he is taking an insanity plea. I would get comfortable and prepare for a long drawn out trial. But relax, talk to the DA and REQUEST protection. Since it is a murder investigation, and you ARE involved, weather you like it not, you need to be covered.

Right Guys?
Of course. I may be a "little blonde" according to Luno, but I can be tough when I need to protect someone. ;)

rescuecpt

Originally posted by kyleybug@Jan 12 2005, 05:47 AM
I pulled the PCR myself as soon as I heard TBI was trying to get ahold of me. I am an EMT-IV and my partner was a medic so he had the responsibility of writing the PCR. It is to say the least very minimal. I read it and it is so vauge, it states that our pt was combative and threatening but it gave no details as to how he was combative or how he was threatening. I about fell over when I read it. My partner that day is the best narrative writer and he left out a lot of the things that took palce. I haven't had a chance to review it with him as he is not a full time medic and I haven't seen him. He may very well write the PCRs that way on purpose I am not sure but it was very uninforming. It just stated that pt was at gun point upon our arrival and he was unable to obtain a full set of vitals due to combativeness and threats. It left out a bunch of facts like we had to hurry and get the hell out of there before we could finish due to the scene becoming unsafe(DOA's friend showed up at the back of our truck and tried to get in) He left out that whole part, I am not sure if I should mention anything he left out or not, will it get him into trouble if I do? I am so new to all of this, I am really not sure of anything at this point. :blink:
I would think that he wouldn't get in trouble for the types of things you said he left out - now if he left out details about patient care, that would be trouble-worthy. If he's an experienced medic and usually a detailed narrative writer, I would think he had a good reason for not being descriptive - most likely he suspected this would happen and maybe from past experience knows it's better to not write situational information on the PCR because that becomes an official report and maybe later could be used against the crew? Also, if in the long term the guy is not convicted and the PCR somehow gets leaked, the crew could get in trouble for writing libelous things. I dunno, it's a crazy world out there.

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Well I met with the TBI tonight. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to answer all of their questions and to get my statement written and signed. It wasn't too bad just a bunch of mental straining to try to remember everything that took place back in Sept. I still remember most everything in general but the small details like word for word what the guy said to me was hard to remember. He was so drunk and whacked out on other stuff that I really didn't pay that close attetion to his exact words not to mention the fact that he was bleeding quite a bit from the bullet hole in his head. I was more concerned with that at the moment. He did get out of line with me and tried to get all touchy feely with me but I stopped most of that by holding his hands. He was not a very clean person to say it nicely and i didn't want all the blood on me which later proved to be very wise as there was HIV and Hep C involved also.
I am glad that it is over for now. TBI said it would be about 2 years before it goes to trial, yep 2 years of which they will be keeping mister personality behind bars for. I made sure to ask if he would stay behind bars and also requested to be informed if he ever got released before trial. I know he will be getting at the least 2 life sentences, that is what the TBI said they wanted at the very least. He deserves that, I don't think putting someone to death is as bad as life without parole, then they have time to suffer as they should. I know, cold hearted as it sounds that is just how I feel about it. Thank you all for all of the advice, I really was alittle worried about it since I had never been in this kind of situation before and would hope to not be in it agin but it sort of goes with the job I guess, I know next time I will make my own notes on the same day of the event so I will know for sure what took place and not have to try and remember like I have this time. Thanks again all, this is a really great bunch here and I really am glad that i have you all :rolleyes:

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 11 2005, 08:07 PM

Right Guys?
You betcha!

I've said this before, but I'll bring it up again...this is the reason I keep a log of every call I go on, and the more serious the call, the more thorough the notes. Factual though, just what I did in the way of patient care. I don't put down anyone else's actions, and I don't put down anything about the PT that doesn't relate to the care provided.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
I know this is anonymous forum,

but please also be careful of what you say here. There may be a point where you will be asked if you have discussed any part of this case. You will have to let them know that you have, and what the circumstances were.

Court and the judicial process are not fun for anyone - but you will learn a world of lessons. I have had to appear in court for my job. My policy is when asked questions - if i did not write it it didn't happen. I have had to explain that my department runs so many calls that i cannot remember details without them having been written. Its a fact!

Please be careful - and by all means protect yourself. Remember, you come first.

Good Luck.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Margaritaville@Jan 15 2005, 09:51 AM
I know this is anonymous forum,

but please also be careful of what you say here. There may be a point where you will be asked if you have discussed any part of this case. You will have to let them know that you have, and what the circumstances were.
We don't know the name and location of the incident, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
rescuecapt,

I know - but I am just giving a reminder. Better safe than sorry. And like I stated before - if asked, yes this subject has now been discussed.

I also have a law enforcement background. Thanks for the input.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Margaritaville@Jan 15 2005, 03:05 PM
rescuecapt,

I know - but I am just giving a reminder. Better safe than sorry. And like I stated before - if asked, yes this subject has now been discussed.

Hahaha, I'm probably going to jail then. No one told me not to talk about a case I *might* be involved in... I think everyone on this forum knows about it. Oops.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Jan 16 2005, 08:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Jan 16 2005, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Margaritaville@Jan 15 2005, 03:05 PM
rescuecapt,

Hahaha, I'm probably going to jail then. No one told me not to talk about a case I *might* be involved in... I think everyone on this forum knows about it. Oops. [/b][/quote]
That wouldn't be the case that brought you to this forum, would it? ;)

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ffemt8978+Jan 17 2005, 12:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Jan 17 2005, 12:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jan 16 2005, 08:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Margaritaville
@Jan 15 2005, 03:05 PM
rescuecapt,

Hahaha, I'm probably going to jail then. No one told me not to talk about a case I *might* be involved in... I think everyone on this forum knows about it. Oops.
That wouldn't be the case that brought you to this forum, would it? ;) [/b][/quote]
Maybe....

The DA didn't imagine the guy wouldn't take the plea, now they're scrambling to put a trial together and I've suddenly been told I'm going to be interviewed by a detective and DA and may be called to testify.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
No, it is not the reason I am on this forum. (I originally came here to see how other departments ran i.e. 1st , 2nd and 3rd service, but I'll start that thread later)

You all are quite funny. I have a "friend" (paramedic) who had thier tail handed to them in court. Its a cruddy feeling. They bring up the oddest details. Its just something you never forget!!

Be safe,

B)