Meeting at the volly...........

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
And the days of waiting 20 + minutes and never getting anyone are long gone. The times I have called for friends or family etc. it was never more than ten.
since when? Back in 2000, I waited almost an hour for an ambulance in midtown manhattan for a chest pain call. these high quality individuals picked up a drunk from the ground and took him to the hospital, instead of going up in the elevator to the 27th floor of a commercial highrise. and I am sure that it isn't the only time something like that happens.
AND, admit it, it seems odd they promote themselves by saying they would be the only EMS for the neighborhood if another mass casualty like 911 happened, but they also make a point that on 911, they sent all their ambulances out to the wtc.....
they would probably be the first. they would definitely be the first if they were actually dispatched by FDNY dispatch, but that's another story.

You judged them based on your limited knowledge of their operation, their personality, and what you saw. Considering how quick you are to judge them, I stand by my statement that with an attitude like yours, they could not accept you and still function just as well.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
That was Manhatten, aside from Hatzolah, which is arguably better equipped and staffed then fdny (I almost feel compelled to convert to judiasm...) and CPMU, there is no vollies in Manhatten.

But as I said, these people disparaged another vollie....

I made no assumption about their clinical capabilities so please do not read into my post or make assumptions.

I believe in volunteering, I just wish there were not so many people with odd behavior and a compulsion to tell war stories and brag....that is all.

Of course paid services have issues also.

And as I said, logically, the local vollie should stay in the neighborhood that supports them during a mass casualty. At least the buses. Just my 2 cents, as yours may differ.

zmedic

Forum Captain
In any system there are going to be those outlying response times. Sometimes there is a spike in calls. Sometimes it's a structural problem like heavy midtown traffic, doesn't matter if you're FDNY or a volley, 5pm on 45th street and you're not moving. So I think it's a little silly to make a blanket statement based on n=1 experience of "volleys are needed for XYZ reason."

Also there used to be "Central Park Medical Unit" that was volley, think they mainly worked weekends.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Jamaica Estates Volunteer Ambulance, Forest Hills VAC, Glendale VAC, Glen Oaks VAC, Queens Village VAC, Corona CAC (used to be Volly word on the street was they went paid, and ALS)

Basically volly in NYC is a crapshoot. They listen to the scanner and depending on who is CC they either just buff jobs that are def gonna pay (MVC) or anything they hear remotely close (even outside of coverage area). I can say in 10 weeks of service there were nights that I did no calls and nights I did 4+ calls. Some of my better stories come from those calls though. It was an interesting experience, but the system needs alot of work. All of the VACs (except Rockaway which is a totally different story) are 911 participating, but none actually sign on to get assignments since they pick and choose their calls

My memory fails me, which VAC is 94H? I joined 94J (MVVAC) briefly back in 2002 after getting my EMT, and I was disillusioned. I probably would have had a much better experience with GOVAC or Corona VAC.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I guess I missed the point. Are you trying to say that the organization is made up of human beings who are different than you?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yes, I remember now. 94H is the Whitestone vollies. I used to see them on occasion when I worked 52X.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Isn't there also Bed-Stuy Vollies?

Anyway - OP: You either sign on and give it a chance, and who knows, maybe you'll start drinking the kool-aid, and in 2 years, some other n00b will come along and make fun of you for how you appear the first time they meet you in a meeting.

Give it a shot... or don't. Your call.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
94H = Jamaica Estates

My bad, at least I had the Queens East frequency correct. :p

I probably ran a few jobs with your bus when I worked 53 Young, the 89 being at Winchester/Union Tpke.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Well you had a 50% chance on the freq

I dont remember ever running into 52X but we didnt so many ALS calls. 46Y is in Brooklyn?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Well you had a 50% chance on the freq

I dont remember ever running into 52X but we didnt so many ALS calls. 46Y is in Brooklyn?

The 89 was originally on 108 st near to the LIE on the Forest Hills side. When I worked it from 2005-2007, it was at National/Roosevelt, near 103 st. It's now on Queens Blvd near the old St. John's hospital, neat 57 ave and QB, typically in the White Castle parking lot. That was the old 46X 89. They were a St. John's unit, but they lost their jobs when the hospital closed.

You may have also seen 53D, 53G, 53J, 53I, and 54G, since they're all Queens East units. We basically had everything above Linden Blvd and west of Francis Lewis, to the Nassau county border. Our 46 units cover Forest Hills, Elmhurst, Corona, and can go into Middle Village, Jackson Heights, Astoria, even Ridgewood, Flushing, or LIC on occasion. Both 46Y and 46E ran up to Rikers on a regular basis.

Sasha

Forum Chief
My, you are judgemental.

It must be nice to be the most perfect in the room surrounded by all this incompetence due to clothing and style choices, weight and spittle, and the desire to help while being beautiful, on your vacation.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Thats right, I didnt run into Queens west units alot. We had alot more contact with the Mary Immaulate units. One of our members was actually a medic on 50V. I have to say though it was sad to loose you guys. I always thought that those busses were very professional and had a higher standard than FDNY (but I probably just see the same bad providers over and over)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
tattoo-doctor.jpg

was looking for something completely unrelated, saw this thread, and remembered this picture... great example of judging a person based solely on their appearance.