Medstar Fort Worth, Texas

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Linuss,

This is what I sent Wully in a P.M.

I have done rideouts & all their tests and interview process. Medstar is a veryyyyy FAST paced service. Best of the best. I was not hired, because I am a rookie ad they said I did not have enough experience. The pay.... Isn't as good as Careflite (Dallas)... And it is rumored that they 'rape' their medics/ EMT s. Average about 15-20 calls in a 12 hour shift. Hospitals are close. They are very strict, hard to get on. I am still trying, Medstar is my dream agency, that will mold me to the best medic I can be.

Medstar, it is rumored that Medstar 'rapes' their medics.. simply because they work so much, 12 hour shifts,, Non stop.. Go Go Go.. and the pay is decent, but probably not where they should be. I know of a few Medics that have left.. Get burnt out. They see a wide variety of things and their so close to the hospitals.. I believe they are the 13th largest EMS agency in the nation.

Careflite is a Ground and Air Service, they deal with more rural areas.. They do handle Dallas county, Johnson co (Where I work which is just south of Fort worth) and Hill County (which is just south of me.) We fly ALOT. Their pay is higher than Medstar, but doesn't get as many calls... Plus they pay you extra for the years of experience you have.
Any other questions?

I was wondering how much Medstar and Careflite start new medics at per hour

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I was wondering how much Medstar and Careflite start new medics at per hour

Medstar has secondary medics (who act as intermediates in the field) and Lead medics, who are the primary medics in the field. I have a friend that is a lead medic and he said the pay is about a dollar difference.

This is the pay that is listed on Medstars website. Like most services, it is based on experience.

Secondary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $13.40 - $18.98
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $36,233 - $51,322

Lead Secondary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $14.06 - $20.41
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $38,018 - $55,188

Primary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $15.18 - $22.04
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $41,046 - $59,596

Fox800

Forum Captain
Feel free to check out Austin, always looking for good medics. Good pay/benefits, and there's been a hiring process every 3-4 months.

www.atcems.org

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Feel free to check out Austin, always looking for good medics. Good pay/benefits, and there's been a hiring process every 3-4 months.

www.atcems.org

I like the PAT,pretty good for a non fire based EMS agency. It should be the model that all companies use to ensure thier people are in top shape. I wonder if they lose alot of candidates at that point in the process.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wully and farva... different Medstar people. This thread is for MedStar in Ft Worth, which is not related to any other medstar.

I'd love to get on with ATCEMS, but alas I'm a new medic and know how competitive it is...

8jimi8

CFRN
Are you gonna wait until you are 45?

Dude. Pull up your pants and put an App in.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wully and farva... different Medstar people. This thread is for MedStar in Ft Worth, which is not related to any other medstar.

I'd love to get on with ATCEMS, but alas I'm a new medic and know how competitive it is...

Sally don't wear pants.:rolleyes:

:p

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Medstar has secondary medics (who act as intermediates in the field) and Lead medics, who are the primary medics in the field. I have a friend that is a lead medic and he said the pay is about a dollar difference.

This is the pay that is listed on Medstars website. Like most services, it is based on experience.

Secondary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $13.40 - $18.98
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $36,233 - $51,322

Lead Secondary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $14.06 - $20.41
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $38,018 - $55,188

Primary Paramedic:

* Hourly: $15.18 - $22.04
* Annual (based on 48 hours per week): $41,046 - $59,596

thanks for the help, I guess with no experiance, all the low numbers apply

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Something worth noting for you folks considering relocating...

The cost of living in Texas is significantly less than most other states. Jobs that normally pay 70K or so starting in Cali and other high cost of living states normally start around 50K here. If you live within your means on 50K in the D/FW metroplex, I think you can enjoy a decent way of life.

Also, Texas has no state income tax, so you take home a little more.

Linuss, whether you think you are a viable candidate or not, it never hurts to go through a hiring process. It is good experience for when you ARE a viable candidate, and it looks good to see that you came back to apply again...shows you are serious. I am putting in for the August ATCEMS test in hopes I will get picked up for an academy at the end of my contract here. Me end goal would be STAR Flight.

Anyway, that's my opinion on it...hope to see you there!

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Something worth noting for you folks considering relocating...

The cost of living in Texas is significantly less than most other states. Jobs that normally pay 70K or so starting in Cali and other high cost of living states normally start around 50K here. If you live within your means on 50K in the D/FW metroplex, I think you can enjoy a decent way of life.

Also, Texas has no state income tax, so you take home a little more.

Linuss, whether you think you are a viable candidate or not, it never hurts to go through a hiring process. It is good experience for when you ARE a viable candidate, and it looks good to see that you came back to apply again...shows you are serious. I am putting in for the August ATCEMS test in hopes I will get picked up for an academy at the end of my contract here. Me end goal would be STAR Flight.

Anyway, that's my opinion on it...hope to see you there!

Thanks for the info. That's why I've been asking around. Sadly, a private paramedic in southern california makes the same amount as you would in Texas, but the cost of living is a lot higher. Only way to survive in southern cali is to be an FF/PM with 70k+ base salery plus overtime or work an ungodly amount of overtime at a private ambulance. Also, at this time, even getting a private paramedic job at AMR is not possible, even little IFT medic companies are filled up, that no one would consider working for 3-4 years ago.

I wish I knew about Medstar, and these other companies before I applied to Acadian in SE texas, they pretty much offered me a job (pending getting my texas paramedic card), but I'm holding out a little bit to see if medicwest in vegas will hire me, or I get a job as FF/Pm in Arizona.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

I DO have my app in, I just need to do the other 2/3 of the process, which is get my own background check and my own driving record from the troopers.