Medstar Fort Worth, Texas

wully_31

Forum Probie
Paramedic looking for a new job. Does anyone know much about Medstar in Fort Worth, Texas. Either Good or Bad will help me out. There website looks nice from the surface but id like to know more before I move 850 miles. I see there pay is not to bad for private Services. If anyone works or worked there or anyone who knows much about them please help me out before I apply for such a big life changer. Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Paramedic looking for a new job. Does anyone know much about Medstar in Fort Worth, Texas. Either Good or Bad will help me out. There website looks nice from the surface but id like to know more before I move 850 miles. I see there pay is not to bad for private Services. If anyone works or worked there or anyone who knows much about them please help me out before I apply for such a big life changer. Thanks.
I've been looking at them too and from what I hear they're not bad. I too would appreciate some comments from people who know more about the service though

atropine

Forum Captain
All I cans say is system status, if you like waiting at a corner it's cool I guess.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
They aren't technically a private service. They're more akin to a public utility model. The operations aspect, ie management, billing and so on, are contracted to private parties, but the agency itself is not private. They are the sole 911 provider for most of Tarrant County, which is mainly Fort Worth, and a bunch of the contract cities.

Their protocols are up to snuff, they have CPAP, field termination, and RSI. They actually have several levels of Paramedic, and each level has a slightly expanded scope. They have also started a Community / Advanced Care Paramedic program.

They are VERY busy... a 12hour truck gets between 8-16 calls a shift, on average. They use SSM, so unless you're one of the couple 24 hours trucks, you'll be posting in what little downtime you have. Their trucks are Medic/Basic, with a couple of Medic/Intermediate, and Medic/Medic.

From my ride time with them as an EMT and Medic student, and knowing people who work / worked for them, they are a good agency. They have a moderate turnover just because of how busy they are, and people are more wanting to get on with the local FDs, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad.

They are one of my top 3 agencies to get on with, but part of their hiring process is the "Strongly Agree / Strongly Disagree" type test on their website, and apparently I suck at that test and am labeled as crazy every time I take it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Linuss,

This is what I sent Wully in a P.M.

I have done rideouts & all their tests and interview process. Medstar is a veryyyyy FAST paced service. Best of the best. I was not hired, because I am a rookie ad they said I did not have enough experience. The pay.... Isn't as good as Careflite (Dallas)... And it is rumored that they 'rape' their medics/ EMT s. Average about 15-20 calls in a 12 hour shift. Hospitals are close. They are very strict, hard to get on. I am still trying, Medstar is my dream agency, that will mold me to the best medic I can be.

Medstar, it is rumored that Medstar 'rapes' their medics.. simply because they work so much, 12 hour shifts,, Non stop.. Go Go Go.. and the pay is decent, but probably not where they should be. I know of a few Medics that have left.. Get burnt out. They see a wide variety of things and their so close to the hospitals.. I believe they are the 13th largest EMS agency in the nation.

Careflite is a Ground and Air Service, they deal with more rural areas.. They do handle Dallas county, Johnson co (Where I work which is just south of Fort worth) and Hill County (which is just south of me.) We fly ALOT. Their pay is higher than Medstar, but doesn't get as many calls... Plus they pay you extra for the years of experience you have.
Any other questions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Pretty much. CareFlite tends to do mainly HEMS and IFTs in the Metroplex, and only has a few dedicated 911 trucks, like in Johnson county and out in Segoville, east of Dallas. They don't do nearly as much 911 as MedStar, and tend to want medics work in the IFT side for a bit before they send them to 911, though not always.

Yet another agency who labeled me "crazy" after their "Strong Agree/ Disagree" test <_<

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I am. I mean statistically I should have accidently been declared normal by now.

Well...normal for someone in EMS.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Someone in EMS and 'normal'... should never ever ever be in the same sentence..

Still not surprised. LOL

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Sounds like Texas has alot of Jobs or EMT/Medics? sometimes i wish i lived in texas

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Sure! A lot of jobs for EMT/Medics...... if your looking for IFT, as far as 911- take a number :wacko:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Sure! A lot of jobs for EMT/Medics...... if your looking for IFT, as far as 911- take a number :wacko:

Here in CA you have to take a number for IFT's

and 911? forget it unless your best friends with the owners

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
and 911? forget it unless your best friends with the owners

Hmmm, we have a few larger services... and the buddy system doesn't work so well.. I know- I tried it. :(s

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds like Texas has alot of Jobs or EMT/Medics? sometimes i wish i lived in texas

More jobs for people like me who aren't basics and aren't medics than Colorado does too :p

Hopefully will by applying to Medstar and Acadian tomorrow when I talk to them over the phone first

atropine

Forum Captain
God its always Californians that use that saying. I don't think I've ever heard it used in any other state in the Union.

Do you go any other state in the unoion, all in good fun I know they use it at Parris island. Really, though wha wants to give up the beach for SSM, and low pay? just asking.

medic farva

Forum Ride Along
Hey Wully! I must start by asking what part of the great state of Iowa you hail from. I'm from southeast Iowa and started my tenure with Medstar in September 2008. The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect the views of Medstar or its affiliates. That being said, busy is an understatement. I work 12 hour weekends and it's usually non stop all day. We might get 10minutes to stop and grab lunch, maybe. Good experience to be had. Know your pediatrics through and through. Aggressive protocols. Most of what others have posted is right on. System status mgmt.... get your unit and hit the streets. Phillips mrx heartstart monitors. Getting all the fords switched over to chevys which is nice. Relocation assistance paid out over a set schedule of time, not all at once. Quarterly ce put on by medical control. OK pay and benefits. 48 hour work week in either 12 or 16 hour shifts. No more 24 hour units. Any other questions let me know!

OP
OP
W

wully_31

Forum Probie
Hey farva ya im from cedar rapids,ia. i actually applied to medstar and also emsa in Oklahoma and actually have not heard from medstar but got an interview for emsa in august which i heard they are a very good and big service to they do 911 in tulsa and oklahoma city and i guess pay is good there. thanks for replying if you can tell me anymore about them let me know thanks so much. I was gonna apply to Sunstar in Florida but florida is so damn expensive to live in but good company there to.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
So, DeathSta......errrrmmmmm.........MedStar does ground 911 in E TX, eh? Out here they only do critical cre IFT and HEMS. Both IFT and scene response.