Medics upset over Long Beach pilot deployment plan

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Or FD could just send ambulances to ambulance calls rather than a huge truck that gets crap for gas mileage and end up with thousands of unneeded miles which jacks up the cost of maintenance and premature replacement.

Also...for what most fire medics make they need to cut the whining out.

Edited to redact the last paragraph so as to not create the butt-hurt...
Because they are fireman dang it! Banana pants demands respect.[emoji1]

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Please tell me you're kidding. How do you propose that a non-transport capable unit like a ladder, engine, quint, or squad transport? Buy something huge and ridiculous like a Braun Patriot? Because that will cost much more money than they're losing by not transporting. Besides, it's been well shown that most urban areas 911 is not a large money maker. Most for-profit agencies make their money on transfers.
Patients in the ladder buckets. Duh...

No, for long beach if they don't have a RA available, then they dispatch the BLS unit along with the engine/truck and that medic now turns that unit into an ALS rig.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Patients in the ladder buckets. Duh...

No, for long beach if they don't have a RA available, then they dispatch the BLS unit along with the engine/truck and that medic now turns that unit into an ALS rig.
Why not just dump ems and go back to private service? One medic and one emt? Do smart dispatching and sipher calls. TC gets a rescue and big red. Drunk, diabetic emergency gets a rescue..... MI gets a rescue. Meanwhile big reds at home and everyone doesn't have to leave the recliner.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Because they are fireman dang it! Banana pants demands respect.[emoji1]

Hahaha you got to it before I edited it.

Was it in this thread that someone said we should start calling it EMS-based Fire rather than Fire-based EMS?

I like that idea lol. The IAFF would probably have an MI and pop an aneurysm at the same time, while also having steam come out of their ears.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Was it in this thread that someone said we should start calling it EMS-based Fire rather than Fire-based EMS?

I like that idea lol. The IAFF would probably have an MI and pop an aneurysm at the same time, while also having steam come out of their ears.

You say that like it's a bad thing lol

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief

Now, now, sleeping, eating, reclining for over $70k a year is hard work! You gotta put out a dumpster fire every once in a while and puting on all that turn out gear for a medical call works up a sweat!

Private medics and emts street posting, running the call and decon is nothing compared to what a fireman has to go through! The fireman strugges! Thank god for the IAFF!

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Now, now, sleeping, eating, reclining for over $70k a year is hard work! You gotta put out a dumpster fire every once in a while and puting on all that turn out gear for a medical call works up a sweat!

Private medics and emts street posting, running the call and decon is nothing compared to what a fireman has to go through! The fireman strugges! Thank god for the IAFF!
Why pay fire that when you can pay an emt 10 an hour or a medic 13 an hour!

I know rehashing the fire ems vs private ems will go no where, but let's pose a question. What's an adequate salary for a paramedic? 30k a year? 50? What?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I know rehashing the fire ems vs private ems will go no where, but let's pose a question. What's an adequate salary for a paramedic? 30k a year? 50? What?
A lot of that is wholly dependant on cost of living in the area. I make 48k in Texas which is great even with my commute and me living in NM. But that wouldn't go nearly as far in LA or NYC. Plus with the glut of providers and the barriers to entry being so low, why should they pay us anymore? They're people lining up for someone to quit so they can take that low paying job. Not to mention in some places people do it for free!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief

Depends.lol. if hes got the IAFF skys the limit. If hes private depends on your employer. Average so. Cal wage is 34k plus and that number is a 40hour work week.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I base at 50k with no state taxes only federal and while I live comfortably I don't feel like I'm paid enough especially when the county fire medics, cities are ILS, make like 80k and run maybe half the calls we do in a 12 in a 48 at all but one of their stations.

I understand the concept of having to be dual certified and I respect it. I'm not necessarily saying the salaries should be equal but there shouldn't be such a dramatic difference.

And sorry I wasn't gonna say anything but 30k a year as a medic? Is that a joke? Our Intermediates start at like 32-33k/year.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant

They are paramedics, right? So is 70k a year a fair salary for a paramedic that also has to fight the occasional fire?

Now I totally agree with the issue that an inadequate amount of a fire/medic's training is spent on ems. That's for sure something that has to change. Maybe we can have the IAFF address that.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I base at 50k with no state taxes only federal and while I live comfortably I don't feel like I'm paid enough especially when the county fire medics, cities are ILS, make like 80k and run maybe half the calls we do in a 12 in a 48 at all but one of their stations.

I understand the concept of having to be dual certified and I respect it. I'm not necessarily saying the salaries should be equal but there shouldn't be such a dramatic difference.

And sorry I wasn't gonna say anything but 30k a year as a medic? Is that a joke? Our Intermediates start at like 32-33k/year.
Thats the solid truth. Some make under that. Alot of basics make $9.00hour and our state minimum wage just went to $9.00! No employer raised it above that either. EMT vs flipping burgers at in n out for $12 hour with benefits. It's not worth it and nobody is saying a thing!

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Thats the solid truth. Some make under that. Alot of basics make $9.00hour and our state minimum wage just went to $9.00! No employer raised it above that either. EMT vs flipping burgers at in n out for $12 hour with benefits. It's not worth it and nobody is saying a thing!
While I was at a major So Cal provider I was only making 20k a year if I didn't work overtime.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of that is wholly dependant on cost of living in the area. I make 48k in Texas which is great even with my commute and me living in NM. But that wouldn't go nearly as far in LA or NYC. Plus with the glut of providers and the barriers to entry being so low, why should they pay us anymore? They're people lining up for someone to quit so they can take that low paying job. Not to mention in some places people do it for free!
I was just talking about what an adequate southern California salary is. I know I could move anywhere else in the country and make more, but I kind of like seeing my family. I'm very much a work to live type person and not a work to live.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Alright I'll stop *****ing...our cost of living is right at the national average. My 3 bed 2 bath house on .3 acres in a decent neighborhood is 1375/month.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Alright I'll stop *****ing...our cost of living is right at the national average. My 3 bed 2 bath house on .3 acres in a decent neighborhood is 1375/month.
Haha thats cheap!
At $1238 thats total for a 40 hour work week for a basic after tax per month. A common studio goes for $900 that leaves you with $338 now increase that by .30 cents for a year raise lol welcome to the sad reality.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's pretty sad, I make more than double that monthly on disability. Granted I'm stuck in my house by myself right now since I kicked my old housemate out so I get the full rent plus utilities and don't have much left after that.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
That's pretty sad, I make more than double that monthly on disability. Granted I'm stuck in my house by myself right now since I kicked my old housemate out so I get the full rent plus utilities and don't have much left after that.
Try raising a kid on that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member