Medics upset over Long Beach pilot deployment plan

samiam

Amazing Member
Yea I don't really get this. Seems to be really undermining the capabilities of the emt"s also dont most systems have one emt one paramedic? Seems like it is a good idea to spread the skill around. Its not like they are tossing the emt a hose and telling him to go put out a fire. There needs to be ems on scene of a fire and most places that is not fd ems.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Perhaps it's time CA, LACo in particular, to let EMT's do what they trained to do! The super limited scope out here, no wonder they worry about EMT's being 'let loose.'

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps it's time CA, LACo in particular, to let EMT's do what they trained to do! The super limited scope out here, no wonder they worry about EMT's being 'let loose.'
We can't have that! That means higher wages and more respect! we have to stick to the standards of 1978 Johnny & Roy.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Heres something to consider. Long Beach used bowers ambulance for a really long time up until 1998 or so for everything until fire took over. Santa Monica the same thing private medic and an emt. Bakersfield does this to this day. 1 emt 1 paramedic and they are not fire fighters. It freakin works! Imagine that! LOL

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Heres something to consider. Long Beach used bowers ambulance for a really long time up until 1998 or so for everything until fire took over. Santa Monica the same thing private medic and an emt. Bakersfield does this to this day. 1 emt 1 paramedic and they are not fire fighters. It freakin works! Imagine that! LOL

Actually Santa Monica uses private BLS ambulance with Paramedic Engine companies that are in charge of the calls

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah ok, I must've misread, thought you meant nowadays...
I'm just trying to show its been done, is being done and is manageable. The public in LA and its county though are so misinformed about emt's to the point that you are just an ambulance driver private medics are not real paramedics. If your wearing banana pants and full turn out gear to every call and drive a big red truck your a real emt or paramedic.lol

atropine

Forum Captain
So this pilot program will probably work out just fine and open the flood gates to 1-1 here in LA Co. time for changes, I think I will call it quits next year 16 years in, but change is good. This works everywhere else and it should just work just fine here.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Firefighters say such calls illustrate how sworn firefighter paramedics are being tied up with nonlife-threatening situations that could be handled by civilian EMTs under an experimental new staffing model. The Long Beach Firefighters Association said the change could potentially lead to slower response times for more critical calls requiring a highly trained medic.

The firefighters association said its chief concern is that when an ambulance is called out to a critical situation, a paramedic will arrive with a civilian EMT, who is less expensive but also receives less training.

Mad respect for Fire Medics, really. But there is an ET tube up someone's *** here. ie, "sworn vs civilian" and an SI Pt being a "non-life threatening situation".

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
This county really needs to not handcuff departments in these hard financial times. Allow all these assessment engines/trucks to transport and give them a full drug box.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
This county really needs to not handcuff departments in these hard financial times. Allow all these assessment engines/trucks to transport and give them a full drug box.
Only problem is that's money. I don't get why big red has to show up to every call? Most calls me and my partner are able to handle vs 8 fireman standing around doing nothing.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Only problem is that's money. I don't get why big red has to show up to every call? Most calls me and my partner are able to handle vs 8 fireman standing around doing nothing.
I know it's a money thing. I'm saying what's the point of having medics on assessment engines and trucks when they can't transport. If the patient is ALS then they call a dual medic unit. This now ties up two resources. If we can get to just one medic for transports then we add more als transport capability.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Please tell me you're kidding. How do you propose that a non-transport capable unit like a ladder, engine, quint, or squad transport? Buy something huge and ridiculous like a Braun Patriot? Because that will cost much more money than they're losing by not transporting. Besides, it's been well shown that most urban areas 911 is not a large money maker. Most for-profit agencies make their money on transfers.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Or FD could just send ambulances to ambulance calls rather than a huge truck that gets crap for gas mileage and end up with thousands of unneeded miles which jacks up the cost of maintenance and premature replacement.

Also...for what most fire medics make they need to cut the whining out.

Edited to redact the last paragraph so as to not create the butt-hurt...