Medication Inventory

FF863

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

Recently, my small midwestern fire/EMS department transitioned from a regional drug bag exchange system with the local hospitals to a system where we supply and stock our own medications for our ALS medic units. We do not have a one-for-one agreement with local hospitals and do not restock our medications there, meaning we have to maintain our own inventory.

Having been tasked with the inventory maintenance, medication checks, and medication ordering, is there anyone who supplies their meds in a similar manner that would be wiling to share how you keep track of your inventory, how and who checks the drug boxes on the medic units, how often, etc.? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
FF863, if you PM me your email address, I'll send you an article about inventory management in EMS. It probably won't answer all your questions, but it'll be a good place to start.

OP
OP
F

FF863

Forum Ride Along
Sorry for the stupid question...I actually love tech, but can't seem to find out how to PM on this site (I'm a new user). Could you by chance just post the link if you have it?

Thanks for the reply!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry for the stupid question...I actually love tech, but can't seem to find out how to PM on this site (I'm a new user). Could you by chance just post the link if you have it?

Thanks for the reply!

Here you go.

Attachments

• Enough Stuff.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 191

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
drug boxes are checked at the beginning of every shift. every drug that is used on a call is restocked from the station supply cache.

each station has a small supply cache, which is checked every week (usually on sundays). every sunday, an inventory is taken, and an order is sent to either the logistics supervisor or the on duty supervisor.

main HQ has a larger supply cache, and delivers "orders" to the substations every week. in a pinch, a supervisor can drop off a supply order to a substation.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
We use a tagging system. A tagged cabinet is a stocked cabinet. Part of your end of shift duties are to stock and tag all cabinets.

Each station has a small supply cabinet with the basic supplies. Less commonly used stuff needs to be acquired from the main station. Stations are inventoried twice per week, with supplies delivered the following business day.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We do. Our logistics division checks and stocks. We're using boxstorm for inventory but moving to Operative IQ