Medical Staffing Agenices

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I am having a hard time finding a EMT-B job i, I just got my certification and I did find that there is a medical staffing agency in MN called Clinicor that hires EMT-Bs for PRN events like conventions, sporting events, and concerts. I did apply, hopefully that they will call. Any other EMTs going the same route? trying to find some type of experience outside the rig. I think some agencies do help some ambulance companies fill in if they are short staffed. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Look at volunteer opportunities in EMS, and also look at getting a job outside of EMS that will give you customer service experience. A TON of companies love to see that their new hires have customer service experience since that is a big part of EMS.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Summer Camp EMT-B Job.

Thanks for the info. :)But I did land a Summer EMT-B job at a Summer Camp for Girl Scouts. They call the position a Camp Health Manager. Requires BLS, EMT-B or LPN or RN licensure. I thought since they are offering 3 months of free room and board at 36 dollars a day, I thought it would be a foot in the door. But its basically just treating first aid and medication administration. PRNs. Standing orders, and Guidance for campers who may acquire homesickness. And if a Emergency arises. We would call local EMS. And notify the camper's parents. I would be caring for over 70 campers a week including staff. I would monitor campers with allergies and bee stings and other things that could happen at a camp. The position would be from June 9th to August 15th. I could make good money this summer before school starts. If any other EMT-B or paramedic has worked at a Summer camp please let me know. If it is worth working for?:)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Thanks for the info. :)But I did land a Summer EMT-B job at a Summer Camp for Girl Scouts. They call the position a Camp Health Manager. Requires BLS, EMT-B or LPN or RN licensure. I thought since they are offering 3 months of free room and board at 36 dollars a day, I thought it would be a foot in the door. But its basically just treating first aid and medication administration. PRNs. Standing orders, and Guidance for campers who may acquire homesickness. And if a Emergency arises. We would call local EMS. And notify the camper's parents. I would be caring for over 70 campers a week including staff. I would monitor campers with allergies and bee stings and other things that could happen at a camp. The position would be from June 9th to August 15th. I could make good money this summer before school starts. If any other EMT-B or paramedic has worked at a Summer camp please let me know. If it is worth working for?:)

The pay doesnt sound to great but it should be a good experience. I volunteered as a summer camp "nurse" before and I enjoyed it. You may want to brush up on scrapes, sprains and strains. It also feels weird doing treat and release .especially when you are new.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I had a very similar gig when I started out too. As Medic Tim said, it is super uncomfortable doing treat and release at first. If you are on the fence about sending someone to the ED, don't be afraid to hold them for observation at the health clinic or call for an online consultation (if available). Also, its not unusual to have parent leaders who are RN's, RT's, NP's, MD's, etc, so don't be afraid to tap those resources if you need them. Those parents may also be good connections for future employment :)

Use the experience to build good communication skills with pt's and their families, and to practice your assessments. Remember that a primary care assessment in this context should be a little more inclusive than what most EMT's do on the truck. Taking a temperature, palpating and auscultating the abd (if you are trained) is very acceptable and necessary in this context. Use the opportunity to learn every med that you dispense. Use google or a good med dictionary to learn normal dosing, indications, contraindications, etc for what you dispense. Not that you will ever deviate from what is ordered on the Rx, but knowing common meds goes a long way when you work on the truck in EMS.

Finally don't stress if you need to send someone to the ED. You are not expected to know everything, and sending someone on to a higher level of care is good patient care.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Some more random thoughts:

just because I have seen this...not everyone who has neck pain needs to be back-boarded and sent to the ED...make sure you have a protocol to clear c-spine at the camp...or at least be able to rationalize why you didn't take c-spine on a camper.

Screen any camper with a fever for meningitis - it could save their lives!

Not every camper who needs to be evaluated by a doc needs an ambo ride to the hospital. POV transports by leaders is more than acceptable. Ambos can get kiddos all stressed out and upset, so POV transports by a trusted leader are great from a pt care standpoint as well.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Another piece of advice. Always have a chaperone ( female if possible for all of your female pts) in the room when you are with a minor or female pt.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
That is understandable. It kind basically comes down to the MOI and the severity of the injury the camper is presenting. If it was from a 50 to 60 foot fall off of a rope climbing wall or off of a horse. Sure I am going to C-spine. If the camper fell and tripped and had a little bump on the head and is complaining of little neck pain, I would see that C-spine is not necessary. I would assess the head as a result of the MOI.

Drax

Forum Captain

Sounds like your wage is about 3 hours of work anywhere else. Granted, I imagine you won't have a whole lot of work to do.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sounds like your wage is about 3 hours of work anywhere else. Granted, I imagine you won't have a whole lot of work to do.

2 hours for me but I don't get room and board.

OP there's a method to assessing whether someone should be cleared bio radiography or if it's not indicated. Not by mechanism alone. Learn the Canadian C-Spine Rule and the NEXUS criteria before just picking and choosing what you do.

Also, you'll have guidelines for things that you may have to call local EMS for or may require ambulance transport just because of the camp's insurance. Make sure you're familiar with your SOPs/SOGs and protocols.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Job application please! Oh wait... I'm no Canadian....

Sundancer

Forum Ride Along
Healthfitness.com hires emt-b and paramedics as healthscreeners for health screening events. Pays $15/hr, part-time prn. They do events in various locations in the continental US.

Valleybd

Forum Ride Along

Hey man, I actually worked this position last summer and am heading back this summer as well. If you need the low down or if I can be any type of resource let me know.