Medical Reserve Corps?

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Is there a need for EMTs in the CG Auxiliary???

Check out the link I posted earlier in this thread for more info. Just realize it is a volunteer organization so you wouldn't be paid.

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
I look at the CAP website but i think CG AUX is more me lol...i got ahold of the guy i need to but all he said was go to a meeting lol...I WANNA SIGN UP

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I look at the CAP website but i think CG AUX is more me lol...i got ahold of the guy i need to but all he said was go to a meeting lol...I WANNA SIGN UP

I briefly looked into CAP, but around here they are more for teenagers. Plus, I'm not into flying. I'm more of a seafaring type, lol. And, the CG AUX works more closely with the CG than CAP does with the USAF--and that appealed to me.

But the guy is right. You should go to a meeting first, mainly because you can't just join, you have to belong to a flotilla in order to join. The reason to go to a meeting is you want to see what the other people in the flotilla are like before you join. If you don't like that flotilla, you can try another. If you like them and want to join, they can start the process at the first meeting. Then you'll do the background check and fingerprinting and take it from there. When I joined, it took a few months to get the background check completed. Once that's done, you'll be a full member and can start going on patrols, working with the CG, etc.

zmedic

Forum Captain
I'm sure that CAP varies with region. Where I used to do SAR up in northern New England CAP was mainly teenagers and 50 year olds. They seemed nice enough but I remember coming away thinking that they weren't really a high speed rescue group from the few searches we did with them.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
They seemed nice enough but I remember coming away thinking that they weren't really a high speed rescue group from the few searches we did with them.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but SAR isn't exactly a "high speed" sort of affair.

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so I checked out the link for the CG Aux...my questions are as follows:

What can an EMT do in the Aux?

Is there a need for us?

Is there any SAR involved?

Rescue Diver / Dive training?

Any training at all involved meaning training you get from them??

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
I did email the guy off of the website and there is a flotilla 5 miles from me so this could work out provided there is a need.

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
as far as an EMT in the CG Aux i really have no idea what you could do not much im guessing..I know they do offer SAR training and im sure you get involved..and rescue diving i think they leave to the actual CG.Sorry i couldnt really answer your questions but its just what i heard

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
EMTtobe,
If your young enough and healthy why don't you look into actually joining the drilling reserve? Challenge yourself, get all the high speed training your heart desires, and a paycheck and a pension. I'm partial to the Army and they are the most likely to waive minor health issues last I checked and might even be offering bonus's to enlist . But you can't go too far wrong with any branch, they all have their plus's and minus's do your research and pick the one that fits you.

OP
OP
EMTtoBE

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
See i would love to be a Navy Corpsman but my brother is a recruiter for the Navy and he says they are really being tight on who gets in because of the economy (to many people staying and to many trying to get in) if i could go that way i truly would

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I did email the guy off of the website and there is a flotilla 5 miles from me so this could work out provided there is a need.

I don't get the impression there is much of a need for EMTs, but ask the guy you e-mailed what he knows about it. It varies by area.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
County health departments and sheriff departments. Sheriff is in charge of the local medical reserve corps for my area.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
GOogle "MRC" or "Medical reserve Corps" and your local county or city.

Someone else revived a five year old thread toady about MRC. Started by Ridryder.