medical myths

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
in class the other day, we were talking about "medical facts" we were told as kids, that we now know are completely false. (i hope that i am not the only one on here who has been told these:unsure:)

-when unoxygenated, your blood is blue
- people say "god bless you" after a sneeze, because your heart stops when you sneeze
-your intestines are long enough to encircle the earth

So what else were you guys told as a small child in school,(or even things you've heard in your EMS education) that seems completely ridiculous now?

Last edited by a moderator:

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
You get colds from being in the cold. Complete B.S.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Drinking coffee will help to sober you up.

It is best to starve a fever and feed a cold.

You can determine the sex of your baby by the way you are "carrying."

Putting butter on a burn will ease the pain.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
in class the other day, we were talking about "medical facts" we were told as kids, that we now know are completely false. (i hope that i am not the only one on here who has been told these:unsure:)

-when unoxygenated, your blood is blue
- people say "god bless you" after a sneeze, because your heart stops when you sneeze
-your intestines are long enough to encircle the earth

So what else were you guys told as a small child in school,(or even things you've heard in your EMS education) that seems completely ridiculous now?

You get colds from being in the cold. Complete B.S.

All of these for me. Also the you get sick from having wet hair.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Drinking coffee will help to sober you up.

It is best to starve a fever and feed a cold.

You can determine the sex of your baby by the way you are "carrying."

Putting butter on a burn will ease the pain.

i also remember that i shouldn't swallow bubble gum, because it takes 7 years to digest!

Yes, yes!!

I was also told repeatedly if you lifted your arms over your head while pregnant you'd strangle the baby with its cord.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
people say "god bless you" after a sneeze, because your heart stops when you sneeze

Funny thread. Dig a little deeper and you will see this habit originated due to the belief that your soul exited your body when you sneezed and someone quickly blessed you until you took your next breath and inhaled your soul back in to prevent evil spirits from slipping in while your soul was temporarily out.

Kind of ironic and hypocritical that this still goes on today...

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I heard the same thing, except about fingernails and hair...

God.. I went through a phase when I was a child where I chewed on my hair. My granny used to tell me a monster in my stomach would grab my hair and pull me inside out if I didnt stop. :ph34r:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ear lobe creases are prevelant in people with coronary artery disease.

Patients with heat stroke do not sweat.

Better dead than Levophed.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Cracking your knuckles will cause arthritis.
Eating late at night causes weight gain.
You only use 10% of your brain.
Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight.
Chocolate and fried foods give you acne.
The rash you get from poison ivy is contagious.
Keep someone awake if they have a recent concussion.
Sugar makes kids hyperactive.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
If you look down the outhouse hole, you will get a sty in your eye

A bruise is worse than a cut because the bad blood can't get out..

(My mother is Finnish and doesn't speak english - so these are probably different from yours.. :glare:)

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
All of these for me. Also the you get sick from having wet hair.

My parents still believe all of these myths especially this one! Every time I return home for the holidays there is a battle over this one. If you go outside with wet hair you WILL get pneumonia and die!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Most of these are really familiar. The only one I can think to add is that acne is a sign of someone who doesn't bathe...

God.. I went through a phase when I was a child where I chewed on my hair. My granny used to tell me a monster in my stomach would grab my hair and pull me inside out if I didnt stop. :ph34r:

It was nailbiting for me. Getting into animal rescue, which can get kinda nasty, stopped that real fast.