Medical ID's

Tattooed on the forehead is a pretty obvious place :P

I was taught to look for either a medi id bracelet, a medical alert necklace, and also a tattoo. There are the druggies who do crap like that and I've seen it more than once. Now the clowns that tattoo their med stat somewhere the sun don't shine are obviously not being very smart. But the search for bracelet or necklace is the very first thing we do.

I may be a pathetic medic I guess, because admittedly looking for any sort of bracelet, chain, etc is one of the LAST things I do if at all.

If the person is unconscious, my assessment is going to lead me to identifying problems and ways to treat them.

It might even better if I do not have a tunnel vision diagnosis (bracelet, chain) as a thorough exam will lead me to suspect everything and rule out everything.

If they are alert, then they can tell me what they want me to know.

I am being serious here, can anyone please list a condition which is treatable prehospitally that they would not have known otherwise from an exam? Something which only the chain would give the vital clue to what is occurring and prompt action?

Your not alone. I do not think I have ever looked for any type of Medical alert ID.

Assessment, assessment,assessment!

I get more information about patient Hx looking in the medicine cabinet that from a Medi-Alert.

I've also worked in systems that provide a "File of Life" form that patients or their providers can fill out and has a magnetic envelope to put on the refridgerator.

I may be a pathetic medic I guess, because admittedly looking for any sort of bracelet, chain, etc is one of the LAST things I do if at all.

If the person is unconscious, my assessment is going to lead me to identifying problems and ways to treat them.

It might even better if I do not have a tunnel vision diagnosis (bracelet, chain) as a thorough exam will lead me to suspect everything and rule out everything.

If they are alert, then they can tell me what they want me to know.

I am being serious here, can anyone please list a condition which is treatable prehospitally that they would not have known otherwise from an exam? Something which only the chain would give the vital clue to what is occurring and prompt action?

The bracelets I find most helpful are the ones on the elderly that say "Please call xxx-xxxx if Susie is found".

I am a magnet for escape artists.

You're not necessarily going to be exposing the chest area during a medical assessment. Not to mention if you're up north and its during the winter, I'm honestly more likely going to find your wrist one as opposed to the necklace.

The future of alert tags are those small computer chips like domestic animals have. EMS providers will carry a reader of sorts.

Back