Medic Students!!!

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I am now officially a paramedic class graduate. CLinicals, ride time and boards are next :>

EMTim

Forum Probie
I have 4 shifts left in my internship.

Enjoy classtime/clinicals while you can, it's the easy part!

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just finished my "ology" exam:

neurology
endocrinology
gastroenterology
toxicology
some extra cardiology
and allergy-ology

The extra cardiology was thrown in because too many people sucked on our cardiology exam. I mean comeon, giving lidocaine or amiodarone to a 3rd deg block? Seriously?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good luck to all of you. And it's true. Classroom is the easiest part. I wish internship had been that easy

audreyj

Forum Probie
We just started intubation. I have my lab day tomorrow when I get to tube a dummy :D Finished up the chapters on pulmonology now we get to move onto med math and pharmacology. I'm happy to be finally getting some more advanced skills

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just as an FYI to everyone... to infuse 500cc in 30min, it is NOT 30gtts/min on a 15gtts set.

God I suck at math. I swear, I would not have the grade I have if they made math a bigger part of class.

Don't ask how I suck at math but am so good at science, as I truly do not know how it's possible.

But aside from that, I can't wait till Saturday when clinicals finally start. Doing my first shift at Childrens Medical Center ED,

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
So it's been a year since I graduated medic school. Just wanted to stop in and wish you all luck, enjoy your time in school, learn all you can, and don't stop learning once you finish. Also, don't be scared during school, remember you have fallbacks while in training. The time to be scared is your first shift as a solo medic when all eyes are on you and you've got no one but yourself to rely on. Good Luck everyone!

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gah, boring day at a pediatric level 1 trauma center yesterday.

I go in and was chatting with my preceptor and was like "I'm a total white cloud, nothing major will happen today", to which he's like "We'll see... there's like 5 of us major black clouds here today and I doubt you'll cancel us all out"... to which I preceded to do.

The worst thing all day was a 2yo who was at a laundromat and stuck his hand in the back of a dryer, getting 3rd degree burns, a 2in lac on the dorsal side, and a lac on the palmar side that was down to the bone. I helped the docs stitch his back of the hand up (Read: Stood there watching). He then had to go to the OR to get his ligament repaired.

I didn't start a single IV (only 2 kids needed them all day, but they called the IV team for them), held Cspine on a football player with neck pain for over an hour, and listened to 5 asthamatics.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have an OR shift tomorrow... should have had another last Monday but they (the surgical center) canceled the shift and closed for the day without telling my school, and therefor, me, and I woke up at 5am, drove an hour out there, and waited an hour to find that out.

Busy week clinical wise for me though... OR tomorrow, pre-school tuesday, ER Wednesday, and Pedi ER Thurs.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Finished

Well I am finally finished my Advanced Care Paramedic course and am reregistered as an ACP. Now I just have to keep it.

I haven't had much time this year for anything else but work, clinicals and studying. Now two out of three are behind me,(for the most part). I'll still study some for reregistration and to keep current on things. I don't want to get rusty on stuff just because I don't do it everyday.

To the rest of you who are still in school. Hang in there. If this old guy can do it, I'm sure you younger ones can.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Stupid 2nd Type II and 3rd deg blocks!

I mixed up two strips last night, labeling them opposite of what they were, and that kept me from getting the highest grade on my exam last night. Darn.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Working in the ICU till 11 tonight. When I was at the ER on Wednesday one of the nurses said they had 3 people die overnight... we shall see what happens with me there. Knowing my white-cloud status, all pts will instantaneously wake up from their coma's.

mct601

RN/NRP
this thread is more like a Twitter for a group of para-wannabes

:p I kid I kid, please don't kill me.

how are you guys in medic school liking it? I'm debating on going next semester or putting a semester off and getting 6-12 months of field experience as a basic first.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
Been following this thread for a couple months now. It's great stuff. Thanks to Linuss and others for keeping up posts while others have fallen off. It would be nice to see a few more students keeping us informed on their progress to become Paramedics. Although, with the workload it's understandable that the number of posts have fallen off.

It's been very informative and I hope to be able to tweet...err... I mean post my progress when I begin the paramedic portion of my schooling.

Last edited by a moderator:

swindlman

Forum Crew Member
So, what study techniques has everyone been using and finding to be working better or worse?

Anyone find anything special for drugs or the vast amount of material thrown in our laps and expected to remember for ever, or at least till the class is passed and licensing testing is over haha.

EMTim

Forum Probie
I just finished my internship! It's been a long bumpy road, and being an intern is definitely challenging. I'm almost there, just organizing all my paperwork and looking for available NR test dates now. B)

So, what study techniques has everyone been using and finding to be working better or worse?

Anyone find anything special for drugs or the vast amount of material thrown in our laps and expected to remember for ever, or at least till the class is passed and licensing testing is over haha.

I used a voice recorder and made recordings of the drugs by classification. Listening to that many times, along with writing out my own drug book, helps me remember them fairly well.

StreetPharmacist

Forum Crew Member
Havent posted in a while, been real busy, with CLASS and what little a life CLASS lets me have right now. So Im now in 3rd month oF paramedic class, its rough, 3 days a week 8hour days, fast pase, in cardio chapter now, very overwhelming. Doing rhythms now WOOOOOW like another language. Anybody have help for that? Any good sites to help me learn? Start clinicals tommorrow, 7-7 half in nicu and other half in cath lab. We voluntered over the weekend for a flu clinic the hospital was doing off site really interesting gave about 40 IMs half h1n1 and the other regular seasonal. It was off site from the hospital it was a practive senerio for them also to do it like a triage system for a MCI or outbreak and hosp er was overwhelmed and diverting, so it was a drive up clinic. Well thats my wrap up, oh yeah any help on EKGs would be lovely! Good luck to all of you!