Medic Students!!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
EMT students have their thread, so why not us medic students?

Third day of class today... went over the basics of the CNS and PNS. Amazes me how little they teach in B school.

Enjoying it so far. Loving learning about the human body.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In my last semester and can't wait for last 5 weeks of semester... Internship #2 :D

Sasha

Forum Chief
Am I still considered a medic student if I burn down my school???

If one can be an EMT with a manslaughter charge, surely one can be a paramedic with an arson charge...

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Am I still considered a medic student if I burn down my school???

If one can be an EMT with a manslaughter charge, surely one can be a paramedic with an arson charge...

Maybe you should pass the test before you contemplate arson?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Passing the test isn't an issue. I'm ready to take the state, I've been ready, and I'll pass it no problem. It's GETTING to test that's the problem.

futuremedic

Forum Probie
I only have 10 weeks left until I am done with my paramedic course and then it's time for the registry...I have to figure out where I'm going to take it. In Nebraska they aren't doing any practical testing at a time that is convenient so I am going to have to travel :p

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
in a few weeks I'm gonna join yall. I think classes start late June/early July but I dont know the exact date.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I have two weeks of clinical time left! Next week and the week after. Then two weeks of class after that for PALS and AMLS and skill reviews before our class heads to NYC for our ride time. It has been a long year.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have two weeks of clinical time left! Next week and the week after. Then two weeks of class after that for PALS and AMLS and skill reviews before our class heads to NYC for our ride time. It has been a long year.

Wow, nice.

How many clinical hours did you need?

We have to do ACLS and PALS before we can start clinicals in October.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
We were supposed to have AMLS and PALS a long time ago, but scheduling mishaps and busy schedules kept that from happening.

As for clinical hours, way too much, or at least it feels that way. I have no problem with that though. I can't give you an exact number of hours, but I can break it down for you
-approx 9 to 11 ER weeks - Monday thru wed 7-330 / 3-1130
-I was supposed to do 10 days of OR time, I did 12 to get my last 2 tubes.
-OB - 40 hours, I got 4 births, it was a slow week for that LnD
-psych - 32 hours
-ICU, 32 hours, I'm at 16 right now, I finish the other 16 hours next week
-Pedi - 32 hours, it was boring since it was a pedi floor and not an ED, I see pedis in the ED I'm in anyway

The only rotation I was miserable in was the OR.
The only thing I have left to do is hang two more bags of meds then I have all of my requirements except for electricution, but we can test out of that in class.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You have to kill someone with electricity?!

I hear OR is boring as you sit there, do a tube, and go back to sitting there.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
The OR i basically like that, but you have to be careful where you sit. Don't sit in the break room or anywhere out of the way. Some anesthesiologists[spelling?] actually don't mind medic students there, so if they do an interview and realize someone is a tube they will grab you. A lot of OR's use LMA's, so tubes can be few and far between. I actually stayed the whole days for add-on cases because those would be tubes sometimes. My time was hell because the receptionist/nurse was the spawn of Satan. I didn't want to wish death upon her because she has cancer. The charge doc was ****ing me around, but I got around that. Advice, learn the lay of the land fast, make friends with the holding area nurses, don't hide, and bring some good books.

medic417

The Truth Provider
How sad. OR used to be the best part of clinicals. Used to be able to drop the tube, operate the vent, assist with other items out of the sterile field. You only left the OR if you were requested to drop a tube in another OR or asked to go get other supplies. You watched and if you got a good doctor you ended up with some neat A&P lessons.

But yes LMA's are the current way of doing it. It saves unneeded trauma.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Advice, learn the lay of the land fast, make friends with the holding area nurses, don't hide, and bring some good books.

Bring coffee and donuts and let a nurse have your pen if she borrows it and says "Ooh! I like your pen!"

Quickest way to get on their good side and get some good stuff.

Sasha

Forum Chief
We have to do ACLS and PALS before we can start clinicals in October.

All we had to do was learn how to cannulate a vein and pass a background check. Why do they want you to have ACLS and PALS?

medic417

The Truth Provider
All we had to do was learn how to cannulate a vein and pass a background check. Why do they want you to have ACLS and PALS?

So you can run any codes during clinicals or ride outs. You really did get robbed at your school.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So you can run any codes during clinicals or ride outs. You really did get robbed at your school.

No, because we did clinicals throughout class. A minimum requirement to be able to start clinicals was to be able to start an IV. I felt it was better to do clinicals cocurrently with class. I feel it reinforces what you learn.

Once I had done ACLS and cardiology and such in class, I was able to run codes, and I did lead on a few.

But also remember, there is more to EMS than just codes.

medic417

The Truth Provider
No, because we did clinicals throughout class. A minimum requirement to be able to start clinicals was to be able to start an IV. I felt it was better to do clinicals cocurrently with class. I feel it reinforces what you learn.

Once I had done ACLS and cardiology and such in class, I was able to run codes, and I did lead on a few.

But also remember, there is more to EMS than just codes.

I have always felt just the opposite. I think it is better to get the education almost complete then go out for clinicals. It allows you to do more and is less confusing for the preceptor as rather than asking can you do this they say hey you are almost done with school show us your Paramedic magic.

As to codes very small part, I do agree.