Medic Students!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have always felt just the opposite. I think it is better to get the education almost complete then go out for clinicals. It allows you to do more and is less confusing for the preceptor as rather than asking can you do this they say hey you are almost done with school show us your Paramedic magic.

As to codes very small part, I do agree.

I guess it's a matter of preference. For me, I felt it was better to do rides and clinicals throughout class.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We get through about half our class before we start clinicals. Majority of the medical issues are handled beforehand as well.

In EMT, they allowed clinicals about 4 weeks in to the class, well before you learn much of anything. I did clinicals as soon as I could and felt completely at a loss at what to do on most of the calls.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
codes are definetly a small part of Ems but when it rains it pours. I had my first code back in march with a partner that went to medic school and left before clinicals. We just just happened to be there when it happened. It went smooth, we didn't freak out, we got ALS super fast. This could have been Charlie foxtrot fast. I think going over codes in class(acls or just bls) helps from freezing up and you just know what to do next without hesitating. We got a pulse back shortly. I swear the ambulance I was in is cursed because all I get is crap calls if I'm in it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How sad. OR used to be the best part of clinicals. Used to be able to drop the tube, operate the vent, assist with other items out of the sterile field. You only left the OR if you were requested to drop a tube in another OR or asked to go get other supplies. You watched and if you got a good doctor you ended up with some neat A&P lessons.

But yes LMA's are the current way of doing it. It saves unneeded trauma.

Seeing things like that makes me wish we got some OR time. I got to drop tubes in cadavers a few times, but that's it...

piranah

Forum Captain
i did
320 ER
40 ICU
40 OR (got ten tubes and assisted and was helping in the OR)
35 full adult written assessments
30 full pedi
20 full psych
I had 5 codes in my ER time 1 in ICU and i extubated an ICU pt.....
i have 150 ride time hrs left with a bunch of skills then im set to test nationally
10 electrical therapies

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
We do our clinicals throughout class as well. Just had to know how to do an IV, intubate and pass a background check.

I like it that way, I learned something in class one day, and was seeing and treating it the next.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok.

I was going to start a thread with my update... so I'll put it here.

We are done the diadetic portion of class. I've got 70'ish hours of final summative field time to complete.

I've passed my course's written exam, as well as the oral exam with our medical director. Tonight is our course practical exam. WISH ME LUCK!

We have some review, and the slower folks finish their final ride time over the summer, and we'll take NREMT-P practicals in August.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
4 weeks of classroom work left in my paramedic classes :D Then it's 5 weeks of 48 hours each for last internship... Oh yea, and another 60 hours of clinicals between now and then.

So is that the light at the end of the tunnel or just a train coming to run us down?:p

Forum Probie
just about done with the first quarter here. i just finished my first 70 hours in the ER this past weekend. focusing my time on the last few chapters and quarter final right now. next quarter is cardiology, 70 more hours in the ER, 10 in the OR, 10 in psych and the first 125 in the bus. as much as i hate not having a job, it is nice to be able to focus on my medic stuff right now.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What peds books are ya'll using? I know my program is using the Mosby's section for peds, PEPP, and PALS. Anyone have any other one? I'm interested in getting some supplemental reading

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well, I just got Dubins EKG book... liking it so far but don't want to get too far ahead of my self since we don't start cardiology for another month.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
it doesn't hurt to look at rhythms before going over them in class. I had a hard time identyfing them for a long time.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just finished the "Irregular" section... I can tell the difference between a Wandering Pacemaker vs a MAT! Yay!

Now to tell the difference between a MAT and a "Non-conducted Premature Atrial Beat"...............:wacko:

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So we have 2 quizzes tomorrow because 9 people failed the last 2 A&P quizzes... so even those who aced them have to take them.

Oh well, the extra reinforcement never hurts.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a day full of scenarios tomorrow... and my PALS, PEPP, Peds/OB final exams, and my toxicology exam on monday... and yay! Peds ER and NICU clinicals this weekend... I think I need caffiene.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Class got canceled halfway through tonight because a tornado knocked out the power.... darn.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
About a month in to the class, 4 quizzes in, but first exam is next Friday, and we dropped 2 people today.