Medic schools?

WA EMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm 28 and have been a FF/EMT-B for 5 years working for privet AMB and a volunteer fire department. I now feel like I have the experience necessary to take the next step in my career and that is Medic School. I live in Washington looking for a quality medic program ideally in WA but I'm also considering OR, CA, MT and Las Vegas.

I'm hoping someone out there can recommend a program for me.

Anyone know about College of Southern Nevada and their program? It looks like a good program but they want $3,200 per semester for 3 semesters on top of normal tuition because I'm a non-resident.

Any experiences with NCTI in Vegas or Portland?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

terrible one

Always wandering
Can't say I'd recommend a single school in CA. Don't know much about other states...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
In WA the obvious option is the Medic 1 program, but I'm not sure if they take people who are not connected to one of the Medic 1 fire departments. There are a couple people around who have lived/worked in that area and they may be able to give a better idea. But it is known as one of the most thorough medic programs in the country.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
REMSA has a good program in Reno, NV but I'm biased :D It is also expensive but it's all inclusive including an internship in a high volume, respected ALS system and all your clinicals at a Level II trauma center. You will see a little bit of everything during your internship with them. The hours listed on the website haven't been updated either. You do closer to 1500 hrs, not the 12xx listed. Small class size as well, usually 9-12.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

WA EMT

Forum Ride Along
Yeah Medic One would be ideal but you have to be "sponsored" by a career department and that's easier said than done.

OP
OP
W

WA EMT

Forum Ride Along
REMSA has a good program in Reno, NV but I'm biased :D It is also expensive but it's all inclusive including an internship in a high volume, respected ALS system and all your clinicals at a Level II trauma center. You will see a little bit of everything during your internship with them. The hours listed on the website haven't been updated either. You do closer to 1500 hrs, not the 12xx listed. Small class size as well, usually 9-12.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Part of the reason I'm looking at Nevada is I have a place to stay in Vegas. Reno would be a long commute. The money isn't my main concern. This is going to be a foundation for a life long career and if spending a little more now to get a really good foundation I can handle that.

I actually booked a flight to Vegas today to go check out the College of Southern Nevada program. I hope it is all it looks to be. I'll at least check out the website for the one in Reno. Thanks.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yea, you definitely can't 'commute' from Vegas to Reno. Your looking at 8-10 hours depending on weather, cops ;) and traffic one way.

I'll PM you the website for the school though.

bfog99

Forum Ride Along
For programs that are in Washington, I would look at either Tacoma Community College or Central Washington University's programs. I went thru TCC's program and thought it was good.

julesdamedic

Forum Probie
Central Washington University is excellent and offers a Bachelor of Science in Paramedicine. One of the very few schools in the nation that do. :)

Carolyn Ross

Forum Probie
Northern virginia community college provides an associate program of 5 semesters in EMS. It is one of the most opted college for the students who want to gain an associate degree in paramedic. Even the paramedic programs of Prince george's community college's are very famous.