Medic school

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Obviously they don't, because being an EMT or Medic in the "real world" requires you to first pass a test.

If they teach you how to be a prehospital provider, and not an ambulance driver, you should be prepared for both the test and the "real world". Do you think dosages, processes, and treatments magically change from the book to the street? It's the same stuff, those who teach "street medicine" are usually lazy bums who don't want to learn the real way and would pale in comparison to a REAL paramedic. I was precepted by both types of paramedics, and I'd prefer the ones with all that book learnin' to be working on me, because they know what to do once their protocol fails them.

Whoa, no need to get your panties in a bunch. What I meant by that statement is that there are schools out there that teach students how to pass a test and not the skills needed to preform the job once out in the field. You need to look at the school in depth and not judge it on their pass rates.

juanbaez1

Forum Ride Along
What to expect at medic school

Hi i want to hear from medics what to expect in medic school im going for it. But i like to be prepared anything?

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Hi i want to hear from medics what to expect in medic school im going for it. But i like to be prepared anything?

A&P, basic math skills, good grammar, basic physical science, BLS reinforcement, lots of pharmacology, basic cardiology, basic toxicology, expect long hours both classroom and clinical without pay (assuming you're going to a reputable school), humility, more A&P, more pharmacology.

juanbaez1

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. How much math thats my biggest concern, and the long hours i think i can deal with that. Whats the more difficult part of it.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Thank you. How much math thats my biggest concern, and the long hours i think i can deal with that. Whats the more difficult part of it.

Math stays very basic. Addition/subtraction, some multiplication, more division, a few formulas for drip rates and fluid boluses, converting standard to metric / vice versa. If you have at least a concrete understanding of basic algebra, you'll do fine.

Difficulty lies in how you study. Pharmacology for instance; don't just "memorize" each individual drug you carry. Learn their category (ex: Sympathomimetic or Antiarrhythmic) along with the commonalities with each category (ex: Drugs that are "sympathomimetics" translates to "mimics the sympathetic response". The sympathetic response when stimulated causes [among many things] tachycardia, tremors, Alpha1, Beta1/2 stimulation, etc). Knowing a drugs category can help lead you to assume many adverse reactions and contraindications. Of course there are subtle differences with each drug within their category, that is what you'll have to remember along with their dosages.

Biggest downfall for people: Not having a full understanding of A&P. Possessing that concrete knowledge alone with make EVERYTHING a medic does that much easier. You'll be able to recognize where to focus your assessment on your sick pts, instead of blindly following protocols based on simple presentations.
Ex: Grandma can't breath. "Protocol says I give O2 and albuterol. That's all protocol says." Meanwhile grandma's hubby has described to you an increasing nocturnal dyspnea, she has no tidal volume to speak of due to rales bilat... and your albuterol treatment isn't helping (perhaps exascerbating) and protocol doesn't say anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

juanbaez1

Forum Ride Along
Math stays very basic. Addition/subtraction, some multiplication, more division, a few formulas for drip rates and fluid boluses, converting standard to metric / vice versa. If you have at least a concrete understanding of basic algebra, you'll do fine.

Difficulty lies in how you study. Pharmacology for instance; don't just "memorize" each individual drug you carry. Learn their category (ex: Sympathomimetic or Antiarrhythmic) along with the commonalities with each category (ex: Drugs that are "sympathomimetics" translates to "mimics the sympathetic response". The sympathetic response when stimulated causes [among many things] tachycardia, tremors, Alpha1, Beta1/2 stimulation, etc). Knowing a drugs category can help lead you to assume many adverse reactions and contraindications. Of course there are subtle differences with each drug within their category, that is what you'll have to remember along with their dosages.

Biggest downfall for people: Not having a full understanding of A&P. Possessing that concrete knowledge alone with make EVERYTHING a medic does that much easier. You'll be able to recognize where to focus your assessment on your sick pts, instead of blindly following protocols based on simple presentations.
Ex: Grandma can't breath. "Protocol says I give O2 and albuterol. That's all protocol says." Meanwhile grandma's hubby has described to you an increasing nocturnal dyspnea, she has no tidal volume to speak of due to rales bilat... and your albuterol treatment isn't helping (perhaps exascerbating) and protocol doesn't say anything else.

Thank you for your tips, now math is basic basic right or too advance. Do you recommend me any book in particular im planning on getting one out of the library and start reading now to be prepare later.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thank you for your tips, now math is basic basic right or too advance. Do you recommend me any book in particular im planning on getting one out of the library and start reading now to be prepare later.

Basic math & general Algebra should be required within the program. If you go to a proper Paramedic program, expect College Algebra to be required. Most schools have math courses to assist in learning up to those levels.

R/r 911