medic questions

dave0811

Forum Probie
so im curious and no i havent tried to look it up, this will be faster. but can anyone give me a good sight that talks about the medic job field. im thinking you can work for that title after paramedic. also any one have a good site for the emt tactical. if you have good sites i can go to our info on it, it would be much help

Tommerag

What day is it?
so im curious and no i havent tried to look it up, this will be faster. but can anyone give me a good sight that talks about the medic job field. im thinking you can work for that title after paramedic. also any one have a good site for the emt tactical. if you have good sites i can go to our info on it, it would be much help

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm thinking you can work for that title after paramedic"?

Just saying, but there is this search thing called google, it's pretty new, but I heard it works great for answering questions.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Hey welcome to the site!

I think you might be a little bit confused. A "paramedic" and a "medic" are one and the same. The "para" doesn't imply that it's lower than a "regular" medic.

I'd suggest you do a Wikipedia search on "paramedic" and go from there. Though it's not the best site, it's give you some insight.

Hope this helps!
Eric

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
any one have a good site for the emt tactical.

Give it time young Padawan. I am going to give you some advice and please hear me out on all of this. No reputable tactical EMS program is going to train you without proof of sufficient time in the field as a "regular" EMS provider. This is not to mention that tactical EMS training is not really all that helpful to the standard EMS provider and it is not- in most areas- going to increase your chances of getting on a team. Coming charging in with whatever tactical training you manage to find on your own is going to make you look a lot like a lone wolf and that is something SWAT and other tactical units are EXTREMELY leary of.

Take it easy, take it slow. The field's not going anywhere. Get your basic EMT and work for a year or two in a busy urban setting. Then pursue your paramedic credential and then work for several more years. Unless you are truly an exceptional case (and I mean a 0.01% or less fluke of nature sort of "exceptional case"), this is the only way to get into the "high speed", "sporty" aspects of this field. Also, if you cannot accept that you will probably not wind up as a tactical medic or flight medic or any of the other subspecialties in this thing that masquerades as a profession, then this work is not for you.

Remember, we are here for the betterment of the patient. Any "good" call one has is someone's very bad day. Once EMS providers are in the field for a while, we quickly realize that the only truly "good" calls are the ones where everyone involved goes home safe, happy and healthy. Unfortunately those are faintingly scarce. A great day is when we never leave the station. Not because we are lazy or selfish, but because that means no one has suffered enough to need us.

The best way to separate a veteran from a rookie, a rank amateur from a seasoned professional in EMS is to look at how the look at the calls that attract so many to this line of work. Car accidents, cardiac arrests, gunshot wounds, building collapses, etc. One will see them as "exciting" or "thrilling" and talk about it for days to come as the highlight of their week. The other will shudder and shake their head, wonder why it had to happen and probably lose sleep over it.

Remember: This is about the patient. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
USAF said it better than I probably can, take it slow get experience,most TEMS classes won't even accept students that are not attached to LE team, plus you must have experience in the field, once you get on a team don't get discouraged SWAT(tatictal teams) are very close knit and will take a little while for them to trust you, their lives are potentially in your hand. Its not all glory and running around with an AR in your hand, lots of team health issuse and paper work ect. Don't get discouraged hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm thinking you can work for that title after paramedic"?

Just saying, but there is this search thing called google, it's pretty new, but I heard it works great for answering questions.

Plus one, I had to read that twice and was still confused..