med and trauma assesment

ChrisC5928

Forum Crew Member
I finish my emtB course in august and then on to the national test, getting a little worried about the medical and trauma assesment stations. I've been studying all the steps over and over but they just don't seem to be sticking.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to memorize or break down the steps to make it easier to memorize.
Any tips would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I just wrote all the acronyms down on paper and followed the list down and filled everything in as I went. Once you get past the initial part, SAMPLE first for med or CPRGLOBES first for trauma. Other than that, just follow the sheet.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just wrote all the acronyms down on paper and followed the list down and filled everything in as I went. Once you get past the initial part, SAMPLE first for med or CPRGLOBES first for trauma. Other than that, just follow the sheet.
What in the world is CPRGLOBES?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Nope, I am replying to the OP. I've never heard of CPRGLOBES and cannot find it on the Internet. I assume it is an equivalent to DCAPBTLS / DCAPBLSTIC.

Contusion
Puncture
R (rigidity???)
G (guarding???)
Laceration
O (occult injury???)
Burn
E (edema, but then S isn't swelling?)
Swelling

Is what I got so far...

Was just rereading that post. Only thing that I don't really consider correct in my patient assessment post that I linked to is that transport decision in the initial assessment. I think a lot of people teach it to be like whether you are gonna expedite transport or not depending on how sick the patient it is, but I now consider the transport decision in the initial assessment to be exclusive for inextremis vs not inextremis.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I suck at memorization. I don't know any tricks other than going over it and over it over it. I would go over it in the shower, on the morning drive, while eating lunch etc. Any moment I have alone I am memorizing it. This was not just for EMT this was for anatomy, many things in PA school, and recently my anniversary. Now I am trying to memorize how to dictate a discharge summary :eek:

One trick that I use though, is to make whatever association or acronym I can to aid in recall. They mostly wouldn't make sense to anyone but me, but don't be afraid to pause and think for a moment when trying to recall.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Vitals. Cap refill, Pulse, Respiration, Glucose, Lung sounds O2, BP, Eyes, Skin. Trauma and Medical assessments for testing were just one long stream of acronyms for me, that was just a way we were shown to remember all the stuff we had to hit.

OP
OP
ChrisC5928

ChrisC5928

Forum Crew Member
i did my first exam for med and trauma since i wrote this post and past! still need practice tho I have my finals at school on august 15th then the state exam on the 22nd so a ton of studying and practicing for me and praying to god i pass lol

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
The test really isn't that hard or different that what you do now. The main difference is different people giving it and at times the equipment, but they're usually pretty understanding about that one. If you know your stuff before the test, you will know it during.