MD part-time or possible full-time positions?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Having issues with my current part-time employer in regards to scheduling and looking to move somewhere that actually needs people to work. Anyone have any comments or suggestions/good feedback on anywhere that is looking for people? Current EMT-P working F.T. as a ALS provider for a county goverment and have critical care IFT work history as well.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
This may not help you much because I cannot say for sure who is actually hiring right now, but my understanding is that the MD EMS job outlook is pretty good, better than in many other parts of the countries where it's hard to find EMS jobs.

If you are interested in critical care IFT, your main choices are LifeStar or TransCare. You may already know that, though. LifeStar's CC-IFT is LifeLine with Hopkins, and TransCare's is Maryland Express Care at UMMC. They do not hire directly. You first must become a regular LifeStar or TransCare employee and prove you have a good work ethic and skills as a regular IFT provider. Begin expressing an interest in CC from the beginning, including at the interview. If you have experience and aren't a screw-up employee, they'll get you in as soon as they can, but who knows how long that can be. It could be they have an immediate need, or it could be that they already have a waiting list of five other qualified paramedics that want to go to the CC side.

Personally, I would go with LifeStar if you had to make a choice. I've worked for both companies, including doing time as an EMT-B driver in both CC services. TransCare only has the one service, Maryland Express Care, whereas at LifeStar you have the adult LifeLine, a pediatric PICU Transport Team, as well as the Maryland Regional Neonatal Transport Program, a joint venture between Hopkins and UMMS which is staffed with paramedics through LifeStar. So there's more opportunity for CC transport at LifeStar. On the other hand, MEC at TransCare does everything, so there's more variety on any given day.