Martial Arts

ta2mama`

Forum Ride Along
Hello! I'm new to the forum and to EMS! I was wondering if there are any fellow taekwondo enthusiasts here. I have been at it for 6 years, soon to test for my 1st degree black belt.

I've been working at my new job only about 2 weeks and I can tell already it will be a challenge to stay fit with these hours. I'm only part-time, so I can try to get in workouts on my days off.

-R-

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I don't do TKD, i do MMA. With Rodney Kings Street tough world alliance.

It's fun.

We can discuss it further if u want...:p

OP
OP
ta2mama`

ta2mama`

Forum Ride Along
Hi! MMA rocks, too. We do a bit of Gracie Jujitsu at our school. My instructor thinks its important to know some ground-fighting as well as the TKD stuff. We learn some basic weaponry, too, such as escrima sticks and bo staff.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I train regularly.

I hold a third degree in TKD but have researched several arts. My latest passion is Kali-Silat.

Any person that trains needs to be true to themself. Know what it is you want/need/fear and train for it.

I am the constant student!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Brown Belt TKD - American Taekwondo Association (ATA)

<<-- Has a six year old niece that outranks him - so sad

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
hey

Ya, I do the Moshado BJJ. But it's all the same- their family. Have u found that TKD has a lot of value with self protection and street fighting? Or just for fitness? Would you take it into a cage?:p

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Rangat said:
hey

Ya, I do the Moshado BJJ. But it's all the same- their family. Have u found that TKD has a lot of value with self protection and street fighting? Or just for fitness? Would you take it into a cage?:p

For me, I would not take TKD or any striking only art into any type of MMA type arena.

Most progressive sytems "changed" and added BJJ skills to their core studies after the Gracies changed the world of martial arts.

As far as "self-defense" and what is statistically faced in the first few moments of any physical confrontation I find the FMA (escrima, Kali, Silat) to be superior than anything else.

A person wanting to train MMA needs to seek a school training MMA. Just like a guy who wants to kickbox needs a kickboxing school. A person seeking tradiational arts for fitness and overall conditioning can gain a lot from TKD or traditional Karate schools.

There are some very good "self-defense" systems out there including Krav-Maga.

I think everyone should know how to do basics.... escape the mount, pass a guard etc. But how or why you learn it is important. Is it for a tournament vs. self-defense? If you go to guard on the street and his brother stomps you in the head, or you pull guard and he stabs you..... it makes the technique itself useless.

My point is technique or training in a technique or style is a waste of a person's time without training for a reason.

When training police officers, I teach them if a person takes them to the ground and pulls guard.... I want them to eye rake first, then deliver multiple groin strikes to set up the guard pass. The reason is the officer has too many tools on his belt that can be used against him. Through training the officer can see a lot of damage can be done by the person pulling guard.

I will tell you I am a huge fan of BJJ. Regardless of the family.

I am all for EMS training in any art or self-defense system. Even a quick ear slap can save a life.....

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
well said...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
My husband does Akido and he's taught me a few things he think I should know. I took TKD when I was a kid for about a month and I didn't like it but I do enjoy the little bit of Akido I do know and I really like the philosophy behind it.

If I had my choice though. I'd take that style of fighting in the movie Equlibrium, that's the coolest fight scene I think I've ever seen, I'd like to see anyone beat that guy.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Wingnut said:
My husband does Akido and he's taught me a few things he think I should know. I took TKD when I was a kid for about a month and I didn't like it but I do enjoy the little bit of Akido I do know and I really like the philosophy behind it.

If I had my choice though. I'd take that style of fighting in the movie Equlibrium, that's the coolest fight scene I think I've ever seen, I'd like to see anyone beat that guy.

Equlibrium!!! I loved that movie!! I must say I really enjoyed the "Gun Kata".
Aikido has some great principles within it! There are some real similarities in some of the movements between Kali and Aikido. Lots of angles and circles movements.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Gun Kata that was it I couldn't remember the name of it. I must have watched that movie 20 times now I love it.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
it was brilliant. i cant wait for the CIA or someone to release such an art form to the public. theyd have thousands of enthusiasts in weeks. Just as lethal would be a knife art so sophisticated. ouch.

Since studies have shown that at less than 3m, a knife is more dangerous than a gun.

But, hehe, the legal implications of killing everyone around you is an interesting thought...:ph34r:

disassociative

Forum Captain
My area is not Tae Kwon do; but I do hold a black belt 1st degree in Chinese Kenpo

bowhkr

Forum Probie
I can swing the oxygen tank pretty fast in a defensive manner, does that count? :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
bowhkr said:
I can swing the oxygen tank pretty fast in a defensive manner, does that count? :p
Yep...

You can also throw it in the general direction of an agressor as a diversion. If it hits them, so much the better.

dizzymedic

Forum Probie
Was in judo and wrestling. Never had a chance to hook up on any other martial art as I injured my hip in a basket ball tournament. The pain came back everytime I trained with my Judo / wrestling buddies so I had to quit for now.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I'm studying a very beautiful martial art called Shoring Ryu. It's very simple, nothing fancy, nothing flashy. They teach you to have a very sturdy, stable center of balance and to not lose that center of balance no matter what movement you make. Since we live in Hartford, our instructors have taught us close contact fighting with weapons such as knives, pipes, anything one might be attacked with hand to hand in a city.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Actually; in Kenpo the first form a student learns is Basic Form 1; which originated in the Shorin-Ryu style. We also observe practice of the Pinans; and Pi Sai Dai. I really enjoy martial arts on my spare time(When I have it); Up until resently; due to scheduling conflicts; I was the Saturday night instructor.

I'm thinking abt picking up Saturday classes again; but I'm not sure. All I know
is that this is the perfect opportunity to help these young people stay
healthy, have fun, and maintain a sense of self-worth and respect for others at the same time.

Though I can't remember the person that said it; one of the best ways I could explain the years of practice in my eyes is:

"Through karate, I learned how to respect myself, respect others, and above
all respect the traditions of all--oh, and I also learned how to defend myself as well."

Kudos Tcert; you are the bees knees.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
hmmm, if Bruce Lee had lived maybe he could have done the sequel to Mother Jugs & Speed...

~S~