Martial Arts

certguy

Forum Captain
martial arts for EMS

I hold a first degree black belt in AAM - Ka - JUTSU . This is an american martial art that is very ecclectic . This gives you many more choices in dealing with situations you may run into . The more versitle the training , the better . It's far better to get a psych pt. or a distraught family member who comes at you under control with the least amount of force necessary . ( pressure points , joint locks , and / or takedowns ) verses thrash and bash techniques , but theyare nice to have if you need to get nasty and can't avoid it . The arts really help with stress control too , especially after a bad call , but be careful and watch your control . Good stress relief , good workout , good fun , no injuries . If you really want to have fun , work with kids . I taught a kids program for 6 years and loved it . Unfortunately , I had to stop due to a knee replacement from a work comp injury . I've recently started some limited training again though . The coolest part is when you have a student who started with you stick with it and earn a black belt . I've got 5 , one of which owns a jujitsu school and his daughter , who was also in the program , is now the youngest BB in the AJA . It makes you feel good that you helped them get started .

CERTGUY

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
Someone suggested to me that I begin with Krav Maga , but I am really not sure what that is.

I want to start Tae Kwon Do soon :) 30 hours for $30 for the first month, so well see if I like it or not.

I want something to get in shape, because I feel so out of shape.

stonez

Forum Crew Member
Krav Maga is a self-defense and military hand-to-hand combat system developed in Israel, which assumes no quarter, and emphasizes maximum threat neutralization in a "real life" context. It came to prominence following its adoption by various Israeli Security Forces and is now used by military and law enforcement personnel, as well as civilians, around the world.
The version you learn at a lot of places has being simplified.
For more info just google "krav maga"

firecoins

IFT Puppet
alot of krav maga places suck. Real Krav Maga is good but somepeople capitalize on the name to "sell" whatever crap they teach.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
alot of krav maga places suck. Real Krav Maga is good but somepeople capitalize on the name to "sell" whatever crap they teach.

That is a factual statement. Find out the background of your instructor, regardless of "style".

Krav Maga is a great self defense system if taught by a legitimate instructor.

"Just because a dog has papers, don't mean it can hunt."
- My buddies grandpa

certguy

Forum Captain
martial arts instructors

Very well said . Any licensced martial arts instructor worth thier salt will have no problem with perspective students checking on them . Be aware though , that not everybody has certificates to see . In the system I work in , BB certificates aren't normally awarded till 2nd degree , as is the right to open a school . In my case , they made an exception because I was teaching kids ( and a few parents ) as a volunteer service to the community . I always feely gave out contact info for our home school so they could check . Avoid people with shady stories and no way to check up . There are a lot of wanna be's out there.

CERTGUY

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
i trained in grappling in the Army. But outside of service I took White Crane Gung Fu for 3 years, and Aresthena Kickboxing for 7 years. It was more Karate than Kick boxing...

MedicineMan975

Forum Crew Member
I started training in Shotokan karate when I was 7 after getting my !@# handed to me at school. a couple of times. My pop took me to the local dojo and told the instructor what was happening. My pop said that he did'nt want me fighting but at the same time he did'nt want me to rolled on a daily basis. So after 19 years of practice, I only occasionally get rolled in those regretful instances when diplomacy fails.
But I will say this about working in EMS and training. While training in a martial art has bolstered my phyhsical and mental fitness/stamina, working has made me incur injuries that have hindered me in one of my favorite pastimes. Definitley a double edged conundrum.:ph34r:

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
I started in Shorin-Ryu Karate some years ago after a long absence from any formal instruction. The thing that drew me to it was the atmosphere. No youngsters, as a matter of fact i was the "kid" in the group:rolleyes: The important thing is find a place where you are comfortable above all else. Then the training and instruction can be meaningful. Just my $0.02

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
I have been doing judo for 7 years now and i just started in the past 2 years doing grappling and mixed martial arts it is an awesome stress reliever and definetly keeps me in decent shape i started the martial arts club at my school last year and it has taken off.. I have been swung at punched kicked bitten and clawed my training has kelped me to keep my level head and stay calm while still being able to defend if necessary.judo has shown me to subdue the agressor with little force by trips throws and joint locks. this shas helped me in a few situations it helps me to keep a level head in all situations too. it has definetly made me a better person

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
judo and BJJ are awesome.

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
yea it has come in handy a few times haha

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
I'm a 1st dan Tae Kwon Do, although I do more independent Martial Arts now!

I agree though Tae Kwon Do isn't too practical in an actual situation.