Manual or Automatic?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been wondering this for a while, since both options seem to have their benefits. Does your primary rig have a manual or automatic transmission? Which do you prefer?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All our rigs are automatic. They have a smoother shifting pattern then the manuals (in my opinion).

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I think maybe 20% of the US population knows how to drive a manual transmission. Which is sad, nothing like rowing your own gears and executing a perfect heel/toe shift.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Automatic.

Just like every single vehicle in the military is automatic: You don't want to have a vehicle stall out when you need it the most.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Automatic...

No one would be moronic enough to get a manual tranny in NYC.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
I think maybe 20% of the US population knows how to drive a manual transmission. Which is sad, nothing like rowing your own gears and executing a perfect heel/toe shift.

Our Ambulances are auto but my fd has a brush unit and a tanker thats manual... And they are fun to drive! Especially the 4x4 brush unit!;)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Mind you I can't drive stick but it seems that unless you were quite proficient at it that it would be a rather lurchy ride for the patient. All things considered I the transmissions in the latest E-Series aren't really that bad as long as you can anticipate when they need to shift.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
Iv been drivin a manual on the farm since i was 7. Im pretty good at it especially drivin big farm spreaders fully loaded... Dont want to get that stuff on ya lol:lol:

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Almost all trucks in the US are going to be automatic.

Most ambulance are based off of either a Ford E series (Van), Ford F450 (truck), or on a vary rare occasion, Dodge Ram 3500/4500.

E Series vans are not available with a manual transmission. The Ford and Dodge models can be equipped with a manual transmission if they are spec'd correctly. However in order to convert them to an ambulance, an ambulance package must be equipped on the truck. This ambulance package will mandate an automatic transmission.

Some service in the states are also utilizing sprinter ambulance which also have a manual transmission available. However due to the popularity of auto in the US, the manual option is usually an "upgrade".

I know they utilize manual sprinters across the pond in the UK, although this is being phased out in favor of automatics.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
^^^ Dont forget the chevy 3500 boxes that we have!!! I like the chevys better. The engines arent quite as noisy and they tend to run out a little better because they are equipped with an allison auto transmission..