Making it happen...

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I'll quit complaining about my work here....Jeez, I make $31.82hr as an EMT here.... not US currency,but wow.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Now my question...How do you survive on EMS wages? Im not gonna say the town, but where im working presently im clearing $9 an hour, but thats probably because Im very new. But for those of you who have cars, houses, are established financially on your own, how did you do it?
It would be particularly helpful to hear from EMTs from NYC/Philly/NJ/Conn or other places in the US with very high costs of living. Can't wait to hear your feedback!
Easy, don't work for $9 an hour :p

Based on what you said in your original post, I am guessing you are working per diem for a town located between E Brun, Helmetta, and Mon. Twp. Do I have that right?

I work in NJ, as an EMT, for about 18/hr. with the night diff, it's closer to 20 hr. and I have only been here for a year. my old job (in the EMS dept of local hospital you know of) I started at 15.75. Night diff there added 15% to it. But don't forget, those high paying jobs are often hard to get into, and you need to network and have connections to have a chance at an interview.

the minimum I will work for is $12 an hour, and that's my per diem job. unless you are offering me an amazing deal (city benefits, pension, lots of benefit time), there is no way I will accept less.

I live in middlesex county, have my own car, about a year ago, bought a 3 bedroom condo, and am relatively debt free (the exception being my mortgage). True, I work 5 12-hour shifts a week, and my girlfriend (who is the primary money sucker in my life) complains she doesn't see me enough, but it definitely can be done, as long as you live within your means.

btw, quite a few non-volunteer fire departments in NJ, but you either have to live in the area (civil service) or know when they are being tested (chief's tests), the latter being more difficult because in my experience, you need to know someone who knows when the tests are being offered since they aren't publicized well nor is there a central location that lists when all the chief's tests are being offered.