Making Extra Money

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There have been quite a few threads about this, but I'm wondering what you guys do to make extra money while working in EMS. Do any of the big national chains have flexible scheduling?

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I'm not making money; yet. But by the time I start making money it will probally be construction as a side job.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i have a per diem gig with a detail company.

i also do side work in various construction related fields.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I work fulltime doing 911 EMS... and pickup OT shifts whenever my boss is willing to let me.

I work per diem in Security and doing Special Event EMS as it fits my schedule... but they don't pay as well as my full-time job.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
full time and tons of OT. i work at the hospital when i have the time in the ER.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
When I started I was F/T USAF. later F/T student (loans) plus Neb AirNatGuard.

Oh, I know...a working spouse!(Had that too, still with her 34 years later).;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you work for an agency check their policies. Some forbid working in two systems due to liability concerns.

reaper

Working Bum
That's why I live in "Right to work" states. No one can tell you who you can and can't work for!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its got nothing to do with liability. they dont want you working for their competition.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If you work for an agency check their policies. Some forbid working in two systems due to liability concerns.
Biggest concern is conflict of intrest... I can't work per-diem for the transport co. if I was working for another transport Co. in the area... or for the other special events medical folks.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'm not making money; yet. But by the time I start making money it will probally be construction as a side job.

You will have EMS as a side job. You know construction in Rockland pays way better than EMS

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Right now, I'm making around $65,000/year. So, this is my full time and only job.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
You will have EMS as a side job. You know construction in Rockland pays way better than EMS

If you own the company, not as a laborer or working with a small company. Secondly, EMS WILL BE MY MAIN JOB, and construction as side work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Chief bottle washer, and babysitter!! LOL! psst... money?? what's that! :p

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Here in Las Vegas we can work for conventions or special events of which we have a ton. It's great for extra cash but it can make for a hellish week. 48 hours for AMR and 20+ hours (or more) for event coordinator companies. But you gotta LOVE the extra check. Thats of course here in Las Vegas. Generally there is no conflict of interest because when you work special events your kinda like a specially trained security officer (no transport or liability).

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
its got nothing to do with liability. they dont want you working for their competition.

Yes it does. Because in areas where there isn't 'competition' but clearly defined response areas there is still an issue of working in multiple agencies. Which agency provides the training, which agency does your ongoing CME. If you are signed off on a skill with one, does that count in the other? If you screw up on a call and are sued, who is liable? The agency you were working under at the time of the call or the agency who taught you that bonehead way of doing things?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i think that when i move out to Denver in January that i would like to work at this one establishment. i don't know what i will be doing there but the guy said the place is call Chip and Dales. either way it sounds fun.B)

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Yes it does. Because in areas where there isn't 'competition' but clearly defined response areas there is still an issue of working in multiple agencies. Which agency provides the training, which agency does your ongoing CME. If you are signed off on a skill with one, does that count in the other? If you screw up on a call and are sued, who is liable? The agency you were working under at the time of the call or the agency who taught you that bonehead way of doing things?

I agree with bossy on that one. I'm still a newbie/whacker :rolleyes: but there would have to be accountability/liability issues if you run calls with 2 different services. In Las Vegas there are specific contracts with the county as to which service (even though both are owned by AMR) will respond to a specific geographic location. Unless in the case of a mass casualty incident of course.

My 2 cents anyway.