Major Issue With New Partner

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
First of all, I'm new here - so, hello! I've been in EMS for 11 years now, straight out of high school and don't want to do anything else. Still love it just as much as when I started.

Anyways, I work for a county service. I like everyone, of course there's little annoyances here and there, but no major problems.

That isn't the case any longer. They hired a new EMT (first job new), who has made it through orientation and was placed with me for the first time this weekend. Now, I don't care what your personality is or what your personal life consists of, as long as you are safe, appropriately treat the patient and give them respect. I've had some real dirtballs for partners in the past (the last one robbed a gas station). This guy seems nice enough, very intelligent, but zero social skills - which is fine (though he told me he's a 'burned out type-A').

We had a patient walk into the ER with bad head trauma, everything came back normal, all the CTs were clear and his vitals hadn't changed in several hours. They wanted us to take the patient to the trauma center for neuro monitoring. There were no orders during transport, so it was an EMT level transfer. This is where the issues started.

The EMT actually said to me "I call driver", I *never* pull the Paramedic/seniority card, but I did on this. I told him that he isn't calling anything and that he's taking this patient. Now I don't know where he came off arguing with me, but I told him it was the end of the conversation. Apparently that wasn't good enough for him, so he ran to the RN and told her to make me take it... She told him she wouldn't tell me to do anything and that there's no reason for me to take it (there wasn't even an IV). So he started to pout about that... Whatever. They decided they wanted an IV and NS running, so I started that while we were in the ER (we are hospital based) - he's the new EMT level, so I had to take it at that point. Not a problem.

So, we get going on the transfer and it takes about an hour. He missed the turn to get on the freeway, so we went up the worst road in history. I happened to peak up front as we were coming down a hill, I have never thought I was going to be in a wreck before, but as fast as he was coming into this corner, I turned back around and braced for impact. The ambulance was all over the place trying to slow itself down, ice on the side of the road... That wasn't the end of it. He got on the Interstate and swerved all over the place, blaming it on the wind. Even my patient was yelling at him. I don't know what his problem is, but he ignored me when I told him to slow it down.

We did make it to the hospital, in one piece, but then the worst thing possible happened. I was standing at the back of the rig waiting for the head of the cot to come out and somehow, with the two front wheels still in the ambulance, he started to drop the patient. I tried to save it, but it didn't just drop straight down, he somehow dumped it on the side. The cot hit my leg on the way down and injured my hand. I've NEVER dumped a patient. I've had a cot fail and drop, but never flipped on its side, especially at the hospital. The cot is banged up, but it was checked over and it wasn't a malfunction.

I told my boss that I don't want to work with him any longer. My boss talked to him about his driving and the patient dropping, he (the EMT) still doesn't think either is a big deal. I'm at a loss of what to do here, I've documented everything (the patient already filed a grievance against us). I'm actually scared to work with this guy again, he won't take responsibility for anything, won't listen to orders, thinks this whole thing is a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing joke. I honestly believe he's going to hurt or kill a patient or myself.

Sorry for the long post, it's just stressing me out pretty bad. What do you guys think I can do to separate myself from this guy?

Achilles

Forum Moron
First of all, I'm new here - so, hello! I've been in EMS for 11 years now, straight out of high school and don't want to do anything else. Still love it just as much as when I started.

Anyways, I work for a county service. I like everyone, of course there's little annoyances here and there, but no major problems.

That isn't the case any longer. They hired a new EMT (first job new), who has made it through orientation and was placed with me for the first time this weekend. Now, I don't care what your personality is or what your personal life consists of, as long as you are safe, appropriately treat the patient and give them respect. I've had some real dirtballs for partners in the past (the last one robbed a gas station). This guy seems nice enough, very intelligent, but zero social skills - which is fine (though he told me he's a 'burned out type-A').

We had a patient walk into the ER with bad head trauma, everything came back normal, all the CTs were clear and his vitals hadn't changed in several hours. They wanted us to take the patient to the trauma center for neuro monitoring. There were no orders during transport, so it was an EMT level transfer. This is where the issues started.

The EMT actually said to me "I call driver", I *never* pull the Paramedic/seniority card, but I did on this. I told him that he isn't calling anything and that he's taking this patient. Now I don't know where he came off arguing with me, but I told him it was the end of the conversation. Apparently that wasn't good enough for him, so he ran to the RN and told her to make me take it... She told him she wouldn't tell me to do anything and that there's no reason for me to take it (there wasn't even an IV). So he started to pout about that... Whatever. They decided they wanted an IV and NS running, so I started that while we were in the ER (we are hospital based) - he's the new EMT level, so I had to take it at that point. Not a problem.

So, we get going on the transfer and it takes about an hour. He missed the turn to get on the freeway, so we went up the worst road in history. I happened to peak up front as we were coming down a hill, I have never thought I was going to be in a wreck before, but as fast as he was coming into this corner, I turned back around and braced for impact. The ambulance was all over the place trying to slow itself down, ice on the side of the road... That wasn't the end of it. He got on the Interstate and swerved all over the place, blaming it on the wind. Even my patient was yelling at him. I don't know what his problem is, but he ignored me when I told him to slow it down.

We did make it to the hospital, in one piece, but then the worst thing possible happened. I was standing at the back of the rig waiting for the head of the cot to come out and somehow, with the two front wheels still in the ambulance, he started to drop the patient. I tried to save it, but it didn't just drop straight down, he somehow dumped it on the side. The cot hit my leg on the way down and injured my hand. I've NEVER dumped a patient. I've had a cot fail and drop, but never flipped on its side, especially at the hospital. The cot is banged up, but it was checked over and it wasn't a malfunction.

I told my boss that I don't want to work with him any longer. My boss talked to him about his driving and the patient dropping, he (the EMT) still doesn't think either is a big deal. I'm at a loss of what to do here, I've documented everything (the patient already filed a grievance against us). I'm actually scared to work with this guy again, he won't take responsibility for anything, won't listen to orders, thinks this whole thing is a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing joke. I honestly believe he's going to hurt or kill a patient or myself.

Sorry for the long post, it's just stressing me out pretty bad. What do you guys think I can do to separate myself from this guy?
Give him another chance and then proceed to whatever you would like to do.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Have you expressed your concerns to your supervisor. Mainly your safety and the safety of your patients?

OP
OP
S

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
Give him another chance and then proceed to whatever you would like to do.

I'm the third medic they've placed him with in less than two months. It's not so much what I'd like to do, as what I can do. I don't know what my choices are in the matter. I just don't want my patients to suffer and I definitely don't want to get injured again.

Have you expressed your concerns to your supervisor. Mainly your safety and the safety of your patients?

I have, and I am going to again. My supervisor did talk to him, but he still doesn't think this whole thing is a big deal... When it was mentioned that there could be a lawsuit, he wasn't concerned because, "his parents told him that's what insurance is for".

Achilles

Forum Moron
Ask to take him again, teach him though, show him how things work around there. Instead of yelling at him, calmly talking. They certainly don't teach you everything in EMT school. How old is he? I'm guessing younger than 25 as it sounds like he lives with his parents, not sure though.

OP
OP
S

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
Ask to take him again, teach him though, show him how things work around there. Instead of yelling at him, calmly talking. They certainly don't teach you everything in EMT school. How old is he? I'm guessing younger than 25 as it sounds like he lives with his parents, not sure though.

He's 30, but yes, he does live with his parents. His father made him get his EMT and this job, so that he can move out. I honestly think that's the main issue here, he says he wants to do this job, but was forced into it. He had a job at another service here, but just stopped showing up during orientation. He says he was in the Navy as well, but he apparently didn't get the concepts of chain of command, respect, and duty. I haven't yelled at him yet, but he's not getting it. Each time he's told something or talked to about an issue, he feels that it's not his fault, makes an excuse and ignores it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Sounds like there is a psych issue.

That is not going to go away. He will probably weed himself out.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
He's 30, but yes, he does live with his parents. His father made him get his EMT and this job, so that he can move out. I honestly think that's the main issue here, he says he wants to do this job, but was forced into it. He had a job at another service here, but just stopped showing up during orientation. He says he was in the Navy as well, but he apparently didn't get the concepts of chain of command, respect, and duty. I haven't yelled at him yet, but he's not getting it. Each time he's told something or talked to about an issue, he feels that it's not his fault, makes an excuse and ignores it.

Is he older than you are? I have had new / inexperienced emts who thought they were in charge or didn't have to listen to me as the medic because they were older.

Sounds like this guy will weed himself out before too long.

OP
OP
S

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
Is he older than you are? I have had new / inexperienced emts who thought they were in charge or didn't have to listen to me as the medic because they were older.

Sounds like this guy will weed himself out before too long.

Same age, if anything he's a couple months younger.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I've had a partner like this, and I didn't tolerate her a second time. I'd recommend you bring the issues you've raised here to management and start discussing termination for unsatisfactory performance.

Insurance is not a shield, it's a contingency plan.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
This guy will disappear soon enough.

You can help that process with written complaints. Especially citing safety concerns. In a union? Give a copy to your steward. If its not written down, it didnt happen.

Clearly you want him gone, but suggest retraining. If your employer does such a thing, the preceptor will see what you're talking about and suggest he gets cut loose.

OP
OP
S

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
This guy will disappear soon enough.

You can help that process with written complaints. Especially citing safety concerns. In a union? Give a copy to your steward. If its not written down, it didnt happen.

Clearly you want him gone, but suggest retraining. If your employer does such a thing, the preceptor will see what you're talking about and suggest he gets cut loose.

No union, I have to see risk management tomorrow and get a hand x-ray, so I'll speak to them as well.

My friend is working tonight with him. Said they had a level 1 and the guy completely freaked out... So he'll be speaking to our supervisor in the morning as well.

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
I understand it's frustrating working with someone who's really made your life hell temporarily, especially given the circumstances of what you just went through. I wouldn't suggest filing complaints against anyone or voicing your concerns to management, in the end it'll just come back and bite you in the *** one way or another. For the time being you just gotta roll with the punches. What I would recommend is having a heart to heart with the guy. Be calm, be reassuring, but most of all focus on the positives of what he does well. You can occasionally interject things like, "Just try to be more cautious when you're driving." That's the only way you're gonna get through to him. If you come at him with negativity he's not going to react in a positive manner.

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
Although you have made efforts to minimize the problems this individual displays, sometimes work just amounts to being unpleasant. Not every day is going to be easy.
When the guy isn't all hopped-up, try calmly explaining your side and why you have concerns. Ask some questions and don't speak at all. Just listen. When the conversation is over, document what was said. Believe me; it will be important later on.
I suggest you document situations that could lead to safety violations, endangerment and the like. In the past I've had 'complainer' employees and didn't take them seriously with concerns they voiced.
Don’t go complaining to supervision, and instead let this guy come up on the ‘radar’ by other means. Management will get the hint after a while.
But, when an employee comes to me and says, "Look, my partner is a risk. I have 1, 2, 3, 4... instances that I documented where there were problems." Then supervision/management sees the severity of the employee and their problem as black and white- when it’s been written. Remember to be objective, and keep feelings separate from what you document. Just the facts.
If nothing else, when things go really bad, you have documentation that you were diligent in trying to identify a 'bad' employee. Like others had said, typically the employee will be their worst enemy. Karma finds its way in EMS, and we all get a good laugh sooner or later. Just don't stoop to this guy's level. Then he's won and you're none the wiser.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I understand it's frustrating working with someone who's really made your life hell temporarily, especially given the circumstances of what you just went through. I wouldn't suggest filing complaints against anyone or voicing your concerns to management, in the end it'll just come back and bite you in the *** one way or another. For the time being you just gotta roll with the punches. What I would recommend is having a heart to heart with the guy. Be calm, be reassuring, but most of all focus on the positives of what he does well. You can occasionally interject things like, "Just try to be more cautious when you're driving." That's the only way you're gonna get through to him. If you come at him with negativity he's not going to react in a positive manner.

If someone puts my personal safety at risk, there is going to be a write up, especially if I have already talked to this person about the issue. You don't get a warning for grossly unsafe driving, or dropping the patient in the field. You got your warning in orientation, and after that there are some things that need to be adhered to 100% of the time.

OP
OP
S

SeaFoam

Forum Probie
If someone puts my personal safety at risk, there is going to be a write up, especially if I have already talked to this person about the issue. You don't get a warning for grossly unsafe driving, or dropping the patient in the field. You got your warning in orientation, and after that there are some things that need to be adhered to 100% of the time.

That's my view on it. I will not allow my safety or the patient's safety to be jeopardized. If that makes me a narc or a complainer, oh well. I'd rather be viewed as an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: than dead...

I apparently am being partially blamed by my supervisor because I 'let it happen'... Time for a nap.

retarmyeng06

Forum Ride Along
Although you have made efforts to minimize the problems this individual displays, sometimes work just amounts to being unpleasant. Not every day is going to be easy.
When the guy isn't all hopped-up, try calmly explaining your side and why you have concerns. Ask some questions and don't speak at all. Just listen. When the conversation is over, document what was said. Believe me; it will be important later on.
I suggest you document situations that could lead to safety violations, endangerment and the like. In the past I've had 'complainer' employees and didn't take them seriously with concerns they voiced.
Don’t go complaining to supervision, and instead let this guy come up on the ‘radar’ by other means. Management will get the hint after a while.
But, when an employee comes to me and says, "Look, my partner is a risk. I have 1, 2, 3, 4... instances that I documented where there were problems." Then supervision/management sees the severity of the employee and their problem as black and white- when it’s been written. Remember to be objective, and keep feelings separate from what you document. Just the facts.
If nothing else, when things go really bad, you have documentation that you were diligent in trying to identify a 'bad' employee. Like others had said, typically the employee will be their worst enemy. Karma finds its way in EMS, and we all get a good laugh sooner or later. Just don't stoop to this guy's level. Then he's won and you're none the wiser.

All good suggestions for a person who is not a SAFETY risk to themselves, their partner, and their patient and I could not agree more that this is a prudent course of action. But some issues, safety being the number one, cannot be ignored, glossed over, or quietly written up to form a paper trail.

IMHO - If, as you described is, "as is", then on the basis of safety alone I would refuse to ride with this individual. Even if let go you are still better off away from anyone who is so cavalier or careless as you state this individual is.

MrJones

Iconoclast
That's my view on it. I will not allow my safety or the patient's safety to be jeopardized. If that makes me a narc or a complainer, oh well. I'd rather be viewed as an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: than dead...

I apparently am being partially blamed by my supervisor because I 'let it happen'... Time for a nap.

And when you wake up it might just be time to update your resume....

;)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I have been in this situation in the past, as a senior EMT with a new EMT, prior to me being a paramedic. best action is to write everything that you saw, heard, and said. sign it, and deliver it to both your direct supervisor and your risk manager, have them sign that they received said letter. I would also state that I am refusing to work with said individual due to safety concerns. get a copy signed by each individual whom you delivered it to. they are now on the hook and when you get paired together in the future you can refuse citing your prior notification that this person puts your safety in danger. I wish you the best of luck.

drose

Forum Probie
Wow I'm also a new Emt started working a few weeks ago, all I can say Is the dude Is a clown. If I ever flipped a cot over I'd be fired Immediately.