Maintaining knowledge/skills with a low run volume

shadow5606

Forum Probie
I got my EMT-B & NREMT last year and have spent 9 months with a low volume VFD, working 12p to 12a every 5th night. So far it's been nearly all medic assist (vitals, 12 lead & occasionally an IV setup). Only twice in those 9 months has a medic backed off a call and declared it BLS, both those were SORs. So at this point I've not had a single BLS transport where I was in charge of patient care or even assessment.

I did well in EMT school and had no problem with my skills tests or my NREMT exam. Now I feel like I'm loosing everything I learned as time goes on.

I sit in monthly on my departments audit & review training and another monthly EMS training but I don't feel like it's enough to keep fresh.

Can anyone who's been in this boat give some advice? Right now I've just taken to studying my EMT textbook every morning with my breakfast. I think I need to work in even more than that and am wondering if any of you reccomend any particular study guides or areas of focus in a situation like this?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I got my EMT-B & NREMT last year and have spent 9 months with a low volume VFD, working 12p to 12a every 5th night. So far it's been nearly all medic assist (vitals, 12 lead & occasionally an IV setup). Only twice in those 9 months has a medic backed off a call and declared it BLS, both those were SORs. So at this point I've not had a single BLS transport where I was in charge of patient care or even assessment.

I did well in EMT school and had no problem with my skills tests or my NREMT exam. Now I feel like I'm loosing everything I learned as time goes on.

I sit in monthly on my departments audit & review training and another monthly EMS training but I don't feel like it's enough to keep fresh.

Can anyone who's been in this boat give some advice? Right now I've just taken to studying my EMT textbook every morning with my breakfast. I think I need to work in even more than that and am wondering if any of you reccomend any particular study guides or areas of focus in a situation like this?

Get a better book.

Quit wasting time with the EMT-B trash and improve yorself rather than maintain.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Consider another department? If the volume is as low as you say it is, the medic's are not going to want to give up their few calls to a basic. You also have to be assertive, even though that is easier said than done. If the medic tells you to NOT do something that is within your scope, well... talk to the service chief. You should be free to perform any basic skills on the call even if the medic is with you. If you do this, perhaps the medic will back off and enjoy being able to concentrate on ALS skills, paperwork or whatever else he may choose to do.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
See if you can weasel your way into a volunteer position in a nearby ER. If action helps you learn better, then go where the action is.

OP
OP
S

shadow5606

Forum Probie
I have thought about looking for a different place to volunteer or even work part time somewhere else but the thing holding me back is that I'm actively looking for a carreer FF position and I'm afraid that leaving a volunteer department after less than a year of service would make me look flighty.

I would add more volunteer or PT work on top of my current VFD but I also have a full time day job and a family so I hate to keep spreading myself out.

Seems like there's a catch to anything I might do so I'm in a holding pattern trying to hang on to what I've learned.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm afraid that leaving a volunteer department after less than a year of service would make me look flighty.

firetender's def. of Volunteer: as you can, as long as you can. If can, can, if no can, no can.

But most important; keep your priorities in order. So far, so good! A door will open, just make sure you don't miss it while trying to get through one that's shut.

DitchDoctorGabe

Forum Probie
This field can be great but it can be the downfall of relationships. You have received some pretty good feedback; I would honestly look at another department that has a higher volume that will fit into your schedule. As far as books go looking over what you already have is good but if your department subscribes to JEMS or any of the other EMS related magazines pick those up and read.
If you're thinking of moving on from the EMT level that's great! However, I would wait and get some experience under my belt and feel comfortable as an EMT before going higher. Sure there are some folks that can go through to medic without having any street experience but I have seen far too many who have little to no experience struggle and not make it. Take your time, it'll always be there. Best of luck.

btkspot89

Forum Probie
I may be going out on a ledge here but some companies in my area will hire a brand new EMT with no experience at all. Even if it means finding some company and working Per Diem. Its good to keep your experience up so you don't start to question yourself when an emergency comes in. If you don't mind me asking what is your call volume is like?

zmedic

Forum Captain
I guess you should ask yourself what you are preparing for? Are you planning to some day become a medic? Move to somewhere else and work at a high volume department? If you are going to stay where you are long term you might want to ask yourself if it's worth running around trying to get extra experience if you aren't really going to use it.

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
If you are going to stay where you are long term you might want to ask yourself if it's worth running around trying to get extra experience if you aren't really going to use it.

I don't know if that's necessarily the best way to look at it. When I first went through the EMT course, I had no intentions of joining a FD or ambulance company or volunteering. I just thought it would be interesting to learn, and some good information to know to potentially help my family or friends if some type of manageable emergency occurred while I happened to be around.

In that case, you could probably argue that I would be way less likely than OP to use those skills or information so it wouldn't be worth it to know any of it.

Then, I found a nearby volunteer FD and joined mainly because I wanted the experience. I don't have ambitions to be in EMS as a career, but I think it's good life experience to have (besides possibly being able to help a loved one in an emergency until professionals arrive). I think the experience can be an end itself, and not just a means to one.

I also probably try to find my way to more CE than anyone in my department (EMS Today, EMS-C conference, PHTLS, EPC, PEARS, etc.). I doubt I'll ever use the vast majority of it, but I don't think it's wrong to want to learn regardless.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I have thought about looking for a different place to volunteer or even work part time somewhere else but the thing holding me back is that I'm actively looking for a carreer FF position and I'm afraid that leaving a volunteer department after less than a year of service would make me look flighty.

I think you're right to be cognizant of this. It's a weakness of our generation, and I really don't think employers look favorably on it.

I would add more volunteer or PT work on top of my current VFD but I also have a full time day job and a family so I hate to keep spreading myself out.

Although you don't want to bounce from commitment to commitment, it still might be more beneficial to find a part time job in the field. Although volunteering at a FD is a good way to better your chances at getting a paid gig, the competition is fierce. Chances are you're going to be compared to not just other volunteer firefighters, but also a few volunteer firefighters/paramedics with military backgrounds who speak Spanish. I've heard of people with Ph.Ds and Master's trying to get on fire departments these days.

Education is probably your best bet. You can take a few night classes or online courses with your local community college... build up stuff like A&P.. eventually go for a degree, paramedic, or both.

zmedic

Forum Captain
I don't know if that's necessarily the best way to look at it. When I first went through the EMT course, I had no intentions of joining a FD or ambulance company or volunteering. I just thought it would be interesting to learn, and some good information to know to potentially help my family or friends if some type of manageable emergency occurred while I happened to be around.
]

I'm not arguing one should take classes and learn even if it's for the sake of learning. I'm responding to people's suggestion that the OP volunteer in an ED or work part time with another department, which would be great to build a resume if you are trying to move to a busier job, but may not be the highest yield use of time.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am in a similar situation. I will be starting school right after I take my NREMT so I will not have time to work in the EMS field unless I find a place that is very flexible and will allow me to work 1-2 days a week. However I do want to maintain my knowledge and skills. I am applying for a volunteer FD. Hopefully I will get accepted and it will allow me that opportunity.

EMTBHillbilly

Forum Probie
Experience is the best teacher in this business.
You can not get experience running a call or two per week and never getting any BLS time.
You gotta change something if you really want to become an experienced EMT.
g'luck