Low Blood Sugar

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's clear that the primary TREATABLE IN THE FIELD issue is hypoglycemia. Aside from that, the patient may have seizures related to her chronic condition, may have a new illness such as meningitis or a Medulloblastoma or may have sustained a head injury that bystanders are not aware of.

In any case, the first issue is to attempt to correct the hypoglycemia. From what I understand, IV Dextrose is an intermediate skill. However, if the Patients mental status does not improve and the patient continues to experience seizures, a full ALS unit, with the ability to administer benzos and manage the airway, if needed, should be the response/transport unit.

This is why I am not a fan of "advanced EMTs" taking the place of a full ALS unit. An intermediate/advanced EMT working with a paramedic would be fine, but sending two technicians with just enough education and drugs to be dangerous and expecting them to manage anything but "ALS light calls" is problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Roger the 2 preceding posts. Tx glucose and apply tincture of throttle cautiously. Guard airway.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
It's clear that the primary TREATABLE IN THE FIELD issue is hypoglycemia. Aside from that, the patient may have seizures related to her chronic condition, may have a new illness such as meningitis or a Medulloblastoma or may have sustained a head injury that bystanders are not aware of.

In any case, the first issue is to attempt to correct the hypoglycemia. From what I understand, IV Dextrose is an intermediate skill. However, if the Patients mental status does not improve and the patient continues to experience seizures, a full ALS unit, with the ability to administer benzos and manage the airway, if needed, should be the response/transport unit.

This is why I am not a fan of "advanced EMTs" taking the place of a full ALS unit. An intermediate/advanced EMT working with a paramedic would be fine, but sending two technicians with just enough education and drugs to be dangerous and expecting them to manage anything but "ALS light calls" is problematic.

This. SO this. This soooo hard.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
you notice that she appears as though her head is turned left and slightly upward, eyes midline to left deviation, her tongue appears to be continously darting in and out of her mouth and licking the top lip

I would call for a chaplain and start an exorcism.

I have a question for you, OP.

If the D50 fixed the above issues, would you transport to the hospital? If so, why, if not, why. I am quite curious as to how you would proceed.

What if the "seizure" she was having had stopped on your arrival, you admined D50, and she was asymptomatic. Would you still transport?

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
FWIW, I believe the OP is a teen aged first responder. I think this scenario is presented as a "learning experience" rather than anything the OP has been involved in.

Thus, this scenario should be used only as a teaching point, not to Monday Morning QB the care (or lack of it).