Low Blood Sugar

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
You are dispatched at 813 in the morning to a local rest area for a 12 year old girl with a low blood sugar.

You arrive on scene with a crew of 2 AEMTs 6 mins later to find the girl with a blood sugar of 39. You also obtain this set of vitals:

HR 91
BP 104/77
SpO2 100% on outside air

As you look back at the patient, you notice that she appears as though her head is turned left and slightly upward, eyes midline to left deviation, her tongue appears to be continously darting in and out of her mouth and licking the top lip. In slurred speech she states that she starts to feel "funny" and that her neck is stiff.

How do you proceed?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You start an IV, administer dextrose and reevaluate once she is no longer hypoglycemic.

I know where you're going with this, but you have to fix what you can, first.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I will send her to Cincinnati for a test after giving dextrose.

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
What is her medical history?

When was her last meal?

What is the neurological status?

And why is she hypoglicemic? Is she type-1 diabetic? Addison's syndrome? long time without eating? anorexia? high carb meal?

OP
OP
S

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
she has an hx of type 1 diabetes and epilepsy. she was doing her pre-meal blood sugar check. last thing she ate was 14 hours ago. steak and asparagus with a glass of milk.

edit: she is A&O to person and place

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
She has an insulin secreting tumor. Better cal House

I have seen many hypoglycaemic episodes in healthy adults but not in children. So, I think that is relevant take a good medical history.

To properly treat a symptom, it is good to know the cause.

Just my 2 cents :)

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
she has an hx of type 1 diabetes and epilepsy. she was doing her pre-meal blood sugar check. last thing she ate was 14 hours ago. steak and asparagus with a glass of milk.

edit: she is A&O to person and place

Then proceed as others have said:

IV, glucose, check bgl, and transport to hospital.

OP
OP
S

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
iv and glucose started. bgl up to 81. spiked a bag of fluids. patient keeps having what appear to be petit mal nonconvulsive seizures. nearest hospital is 30min away going code 3. what now?

Edit: also, after talking to the father, it sounds like her typical seizures are myoclonic, not petit mal seizures

Edit 2: do you think these seizures are a result of the chemical imbalance in the brain due to the hypoglycemia, or the epilepsy, or something else?

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
iv and glucose started. bgl up to 81. spiked a bag of fluids. patient keeps having what appear to be petit mal nonconvulsive seizures. nearest hospital is 30min away going code 3. what now?

Edit: also, after talking to the father, it sounds like her typical seizures are myoclonic, not petit mal seizures

Edit 2: do you think these seizures are a result of the chemical imbalance in the brain due to the hypoglycemia, or the epilepsy, or something else?

Good question :ph34r::wacko:

Anyway, there is something strange:

She has type 1 diabetic, has a bgl of 39, and is alert and oriented? It is not common.

mydriasis? Anisocoria? Miosis? The pupils respond to light?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
oh do you? care to explain?

You don't know what all is being caused by the low blood sugar or if it is something more. So you have to fix the low sugar to see if the patient is still having other issues.

As you have already said the patients sugar was fixed and the patient appears to be having seizures. So then go from there.

What are the patients vitals after the dextrose. What are her O2 sats? Did she just switch to a new medication? Has she been taking her meds as she should?

OP
OP
S

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
she is on 2mg of diazepam with each meal and 9 units of Lantus every morning.

bp up to 118/94
hr up to 110

SPO2 99%

no new meds. father is pretty sure she has been doing her meds correctly
pupils were PEARL when she wasn't "absent"

NomadicMedic

call for ALS or no?

Continue with an easy, no lights or siren transport. IV at KVO.

If the seizures continue unabated, I would consult with the doc about benzos.

Draw bloods, serum lactate and just monitor.

... And I am ALS. :)

NomadicMedic

we were a crew of 2 at intermediate level though..

This is not a call that intermediates, with limited education and an incomplete "wanna be paramedic" drug box are equipped to handle. I apparently missed that this was an intermediate crew, so yes, the answer is have a fully equipped ALS crew manage the call.

leoemt

Forum Captain
I'm not sure I'd be calling for ALS yet (in my area we have a luxury of LOTS of hospitals close by).

Initial call is for low blood sugar with a hx of DM. If she can maintain her own airway, do a check of the BGL and give her some oral glucose. She is talking so I am thinking that she can maintain her own airway. Reassess.

The hx of seizures is concerning but nothing that I need to bother ALS for at this time. I am concerned with the licking lips as that may indicate an oncoming seizure. However, nothing I can do.

In my area we only call ALS for seizures if pt is in Status Epilipticus.

Reassess patient and if BGL rises does her other symptoms disappear? If BGL does not rise after oral glucose, ALS would be requested.

If her other symptoms are an absence seizure (petit mal) they should disappear within 30 seconds.

Does she have a fever? Neck stiffness without trauma makes the hospital worry about Meningitis. Since her type of seizure disorder is unlikely to cause neck stiffness Med Control might have us perform a Kernig's sign test and look for other signs of Meningitis.

Based on the info you provided she is going to be getting routine transport to local ER via BLS.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Disregard my above post, I couldn't edit it because the 15 minute limit was up.

After doing some research (and re-reading the scenario) I would be calling ALS.

Her other symptoms raise the possibility that she is in the aura stage of a seizure. As a result, she can't maintain her own airway so no oral glucose. ALS will be called to start an IV.

Reassess and transport routine.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Let's not get carried away. Let the hospital decide what's wrong with her. Children have much less glycogen stores than adults do, so one amp of d50 is not guaranteed to "fix" her neurologic symptoms, even if the BGL spiked from one dose.

The process of cellular injury in the brain is complex, and the only true way to start ddxing is after a barrage ancillary studies. Even then, take all of your facts as they come; compartmentalize them, then make your educated guess after you have all of the information you can.

Could it be meningitis? Who knows? Will it change your treatment? Nope.