Love of EMS

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
I've observed that many if not most EMS providers end up spending more time in this line of work than they do with anything else in life. They talk about how they haven't had a real life in years and other stuff. I enjoy my job, don't get me wrong. But I am not a workaholic and quite honestly I hate the idea. Anytime I get off of a long shift (48 or more hours consecutively) I feel like all I want to do is work but once I get home, grab a pint and relax I realize that that isn't a good thing. I never want to be that involved. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about work when I'm home and truthfully I understand how that would be annoying. But I do start getting that borderline obsession where I look up EMS related stuff or post in EMTLife when I'd rather be doing other stuff. Any advice as to how to work through that? Or is it bad that I want to treat my job in EMS as a career and nothing more? I don't think I should have to be doing classes every week and being involved with it constantly to be a committed professional. Does anyone disagree?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Balance is everything...

My first question to you is: How long have you been in EMS? If you're relatively new, the novelty will wear off.

My second thing is about passion. EMS is often far more than just a job for people. Medical care, and the calling to it, is often something that can run deep, but too often that passion manifests itself into ultimately unhealthy preoccupation with the work. Couple that with typical young person entering EMS with poor coping/life skills (under developed is likely a better term here), and you get over commitment. Many EMS companies and their management likely prey on this ideal and commitment and use up all that passion for cheap labor...thus it becomes unhealthy.

I recently applied back to the division of a company I worked for originally as an EMT, but now for medic. It's a busy division. The GM asked me why I wanted to come back to the grinder...well it was my first EMS love. It's most certainly a love-hate relationship, and Hemet's call volume will hurt you bad if you let it, but it's almost as if I can't help myself even though I have a perfectly good EMT job that pays more, and has far better benefits. It's still a part-time gig, but I couldn't help myself despite there being division that are closer and with lower call volume.

TL:DR You've got to get a life. Let EMS be your passion, but don't let it be your life.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
I've observed that many if not most EMS providers end up spending more time in this line of work than they do with anything else in life. They talk about how they haven't had a real life in years and other stuff. I enjoy my job, don't get me wrong. But I am not a workaholic and quite honestly I hate the idea. Anytime I get off of a long shift (48 or more hours consecutively) I feel like all I want to do is work but once I get home, grab a pint and relax I realize that that isn't a good thing. I never want to be that involved. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about work when I'm home and truthfully I understand how that would be annoying. But I do start getting that borderline obsession where I look up EMS related stuff or post in EMTLife when I'd rather be doing other stuff. Any advice as to how to work through that? Or is it bad that I want to treat my job in EMS as a career and nothing more? I don't think I should have to be doing classes every week and being involved with it constantly to be a committed professional. Does anyone disagree?

Hello :)

I understand where you're coming from, except I've already developed the obsession and I haven't even worked as an Emt Yet!
Are you still a fairly new Emt ?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Lights and sirens coupled with the "hero syndrome" that's encouraged in many EMT classes helps to get people so spooled up over the idea of a job in EMS that it's a huge letdown when they find out that it's not all rushing around and saving lives.

I work for an excellent ALS only agency. I'm compensated well, I work with great equipment, smart people and I really enjoy working as a paramedic here.

But I don't let it define me.

At the end of the day when I come home, I take off my blue suit and try not to think about it until I go back to work. It's imperative to have other hobbies and interests outside of EMS. Without balancing life and work, you'll become burned-out and jaded before you know it.

Lolli2

Forum Ride Along
I can't imagine doing 48 hours in a row. I'm pretty lucky and get to respond from home for my weekly 6pm to 6am shift. If we do day shifts it's 6am to 6pm and we have to be at the station. If the days are slow, they are long. I love the ems job, but can't wait to get home also. When I first started, I wanted to be there all the time lol.

KneecapBTLS

Forum Ride Along
But I don't let it define me.

This is really important for all responders. I can say that it's an issue in law enforcement, too.

It may be worthwhile to do a mind-mapping exercise, either with pen and paper or the Simple Mind phone app. Put yourself in the original bubble. Every bubble that branches off of the original bubble should have one element of who you are (EMT, wife, mom, volunteer, runner, reader, etc.).

It might sound a little cheesy to some, but doing this from time to time helps you realize which areas of your life you're not devoting enough time to. Hope that helps.