Lost a friend trying to reach my goal. Need advice

MsThomas94

Forum Probie
So I just started EMT classes. My friend always asks me to go partying with her but I always decline because I would rather be at home studying and doing homework. I used to party a lot in college and ended up dropping out and getting fired from my job. I always said when I get back in school I have to discipline myself in order to reach my goals. She knows I'm trying to graduate from this program but doesn't care. Nothing i say can help her understand. We graduated high school 4 years ago and have nothing to show for it. We've been partying for 4 years!!! I'm just trying to focus on school that's all. She blocked me and doesn't want to be my friend anymore. Am I wrong?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
So I just started EMT classes. The parasitic leech always asks me to go partying with her but I always decline because I would rather be at home studying and doing homework. I used to party a lot in college and ended up dropping out and getting fired from my job. I always said when I get back in school I have to discipline myself in order to reach my goals. She knows I'm trying to graduate from this program but doesn't care. Nothing i say can help her understand. We graduated high school 4 years ago and have nothing to show for it. We've been partying for 4 years!!! I'm just trying to focus on school that's all. She blocked me and doesn't want to be my friend anymore. Am I wrong?

I fixed it for you.

Definition of a parasite -

1. an organism that lives on or within a plant or animal of another species, from which it obtains nutrients.
2. a person who receives support or advantage from another without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.
3. (esp. in ancient Greece) a person receiving free meals in return for amusing conversation or flattery.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
You are far better off without this person in your life. She "blocked" you? AWESOME! That means you don't have to deal with her anymore. Move on, life is far more than the people/things we do in high school.

You keep on the path YOU want to be on. In 10 years look her up and see what she's up to. You'll be even happier she "blocked" you now.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
People move on different paths in life. The friends from high school, or college, or your first EMT job, may be life-long friends you one day will consider to be family. Or they may be temporary acquaintances that are a big part of your life for a short time. Don’t worry about her, it sounds like she’s now a part of your history, and that part of your history has taught you how to stay focused on your new goals and ambitions. Best of luck with your studies!

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
"The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become." - Charles Du Bos (although I heard it from Eric Thomas before I knew where it was from).

It can be very hard when a friend gives you an ultimatum like that. You have to decide what's more important. Hopefully this person will be able to understand what you're trying to do and you can make your friendship work. If not, let them go without animosity.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
That person is not a friend. Anyone who is not a positive influence to your life is merely surplus to requirement

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
That is an unhealthy friendship and I've had a few of those in my life. You will look back on this in 5 years and be thankful that you stuck to your guns and look the high road. Maybe this will help your friend see that she needs to do something with her life too. Continue on the path you are on. Congrats!

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
I graduated high school 5 years ago. I have people I know that still sleep on mommas couch. And stay out late and drink the dirty bong water.

Those type of people can't be helped. The ones with motive and drive are the ones that become something. And guess what. You can't change your life, holding onto old baggage.

OC mom

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to adulthood! :) Congrats to you for taking your education and life seriously. As a mom of 2 teenagers, I'm sure your family is very proud of your commitment. Real friends want you to be your best you. Users just want someone to do nothing with them so they don't feel bad about going nowhere. Keep up the good work :)