Losing weight without a gym

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
what do you mean? she asked what to do to get healthy i said she should only drink water but if she wants good protein milk is the best out there

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
what do you mean? she asked what to do to get healthy i said she should only drink water but if she wants good protein milk is the best out there

Hardly.
Any meat has better amino acid profile. And many adults cannot properly digest lactose, so they either get diarrhea or just bloat when they drink milk.
Milk protein is just nice because it is cheap and easy to consume (because you drink it).

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Years ago I found my weight had creeped up on me (204lb). (so did my age).
I had trouble bending over to tie my shoes. That did it. I found it in my heart and mind I needed to make adjustments to my daily food intake and living. So, what I did was: Stopped all carbonated drinks, changed to water or flavored water (Chrystal Lite). As for food intake, I allowed myself only 1 helping (one plate) of food, a meal. (not heaping either) Also, instead of 4 cookies, I only ate 2 cookies. And started walking, everyday. Started out slow, moved up to 2.5 miles a day. (plus the dog loved it). Stuck to that and in 4 months I lost 40 lbs. AND I could bend over to tie my shoes.
This really isn't a diet (I don't like that word), but it helped me lose some weight. I also was able to enjoy the foods that I like, just in moderation. I still find myself refusing a soda now, and drinking Iced tea or something without carbonation.
The key here is MODERATION. I do like Mr. Browns suggestion: Eat to Live. At least, it is a good read. Good Luck and enjoy life.

ktcan

Forum Ride Along
So, what I did was: Stopped all carbonated drinks, changed to water or flavored water (Chrystal Lite).

Dude, this changed my life. You wouldn't even believe how much better I felt when I broke my dependency on soda.

Dudley

Forum Ride Along
Hi CountryGirl,
some effective tips for you to lose weight.
Do start exercise, sport or some physical activity. Break your meals in 5 small meals and prefer raw food over processed food. Increase water intake, drink green tea regularly and avoid beverages, soda and even diet soda.

coledexter1920

Forum Probie
I will suggest you which I got advice from my forum friend. There is only one way is eat less, walk more, running and have a baby diet.

Feliks

Forum Ride Along
Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories,
Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories in 30 minutes,
Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500 calories.....

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Calories burned is dependent on weight and fitness level. Someone who is very overweight will burn more calories than someone who is 100lbs less. In order to burn that many calories in 30 minutes of swimming or biking someone must be working very hard, or be very overweight.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories,
Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories in 30 minutes,
Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500 calories.....

Swimming is the best cardio workout you can do since it's so low impact and a complete body workout. But it's a little difficult to swim in the winter unless you have access to a heated pool which basically requires you to have a gym membership.

If cost is an issue, check out your local community college. Sign up for a PE class that costs maybe a unit or even half a unit ($40 per unit here in CA) and you get full access to the gym for the semester. Repeat as necessary every semester.

But most importantly its your diet like everyone else here has said that you have to be concerned with. It's probably 90% diet and 10% workout out. You can get by doing just wall squats, pushups, and situps. You'll have a nice toned body doing just those 3 things. I mean it's no P90x body but it's still good for the beach.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Calories burned is dependent on weight and fitness level. Someone who is very overweight will burn more calories than someone who is 100lbs less. In order to burn that many calories in 30 minutes of swimming or biking someone must be working very hard, or be very overweight.

I have low, medium and high intensity workouts on my planner. When it's a high intensity day, the treadmill says I burn 500 calories in 45 minutes. Today was a low day and I burned 200 in 20 minutes. I'm not small, but I'm not that fat either. It all depends...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Years ago I found my weight had creeped up on me (204lb). (so did my age).
I had trouble bending over to tie my shoes. That did it. I found it in my heart and mind I needed to make adjustments to my daily food intake and living. So, what I did was: Stopped all carbonated drinks, changed to water or flavored water (Chrystal Lite). As for food intake, I allowed myself only 1 helping (one plate) of food, a meal. (not heaping either) Also, instead of 4 cookies, I only ate 2 cookies. And started walking, everyday. Started out slow, moved up to 2.5 miles a day. (plus the dog loved it). Stuck to that and in 4 months I lost 40 lbs. AND I could bend over to tie my shoes.
This really isn't a diet (I don't like that word), but it helped me lose some weight. I also was able to enjoy the foods that I like, just in moderation. I still find myself refusing a soda now, and drinking Iced tea or something without carbonation.
The key here is MODERATION. I do like Mr. Browns suggestion: Eat to Live. At least, it is a good read. Good Luck and enjoy life.

I'm def going to do this.

I drink way too much pop. And I just got a puppy, so should work out great.

Thanks for sharing.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I have low, medium and high intensity workouts on my planner. When it's a high intensity day, the treadmill says I burn 500 calories in 45 minutes. Today was a low day and I burned 200 in 20 minutes. I'm not small, but I'm not that fat either. It all depends...

The built in counters on machines are are notoriously wonky. I know a couple of people who have the Bodyfit counters, which I trust more than a treadmill counter. For them to burn 10 calories a minute they have to be working HARD. Like pouring sweat, gasping for breath, HR near max hard.

cm4130

Forum Ride Along
No. Neither sugar nor carbs are NECESSARY for LIFE. There is barely any real "need" nutritionally for sugar (unless you count hypoglycemia), and the "need" for carbohydrates is debatable at best.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
So oxphos can sustain all bodily ATP demands then? Was unaware... I apologize for my ignorance.

cm4130

Forum Ride Along
Whoops- what I meant was carbs in their common vessels of delivery- flour, corn, wheat, processed foods, etc.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Whoops- what I meant was carbs in their common vessels of delivery- flour, corn, wheat, processed foods, etc.

I figured; I was initially being facetious :)