Long time lurker, First time poster

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around this board for a couple months. I "think" I've read most of the posts going back a few months. lots of good advise. Lots of same problems around the USA.

I've been an LEO for over 17 years in SE MN area. I recently got the job of Chief of Police in a small community. Believe it or not this is the first chance I've had to take and pass the EMT-B course.

So now not only am I the Top Cop, but also one of the newest EMT's on the local service. I think it'll work out great with the full time job.

In the past 17 years (over 25 years with training and other LE type work) I've been on scenes many times before the big bus has arrived. I was a First Responder for most of these years. I was doing pt care about 5-10 minutes before the amb arrived. most of the time, it's basic 02 or pressure on bleeding. I've done CPR in truck stops, in the back of the bus. and of course there was always the car accidents. If anyone knows of the Mayo Clinic, they have 3 birds around the area. I've helped land the bird many times. that's always exciting. (just remember to keep the squad windows closed). I peronaly know a few of the nurses on board. good bunch of guys/gals.

With that said, I guess I'm one of the few on this board that isn't looking for a job.I've been pretty lucky so far.

little about our EMS. We are a volunteer service that services about 40 sq miles in and around the farming community. looking at the past few years call load, the ambulance ran about 200 times per year. I think that's a good number of calls for our service. Granted the nursing home keeps us busy with transports. A wild guess is about half is from the Home. but they can't all be "just transports" some are code calls. Our Med Dir. is great. as is our manager. the service has several "add ons" above and beyond the Basic level. almost an EMT-I level, don't quote me on that, I have no idea what all an "I" can do compared to our service, but can't be much more.

So, here I am, posting with a low post count. I dont' claim I know alot, but I know my way around a first aid kit. I'll interject in threads when I feel I can contribute something worthwhile.... or if I see an opening for a good joke..

For all the new EMT's out there, keep looking, keep your nose clean, watch what you do and say. perspective employers do look at online activity (facebook,myspace), that's a hint...
Act professionaly, be professonal. always..
if there is a volunteer service, look into that, most are always looking for good entry level people to man the bus.

good luck to all, and stay safe. "Scene Safety".. "always go home after your shift"...
Traprmike..
LEO
EMT
Ham radio operator
Emergency Management Coord.
All around nice guy

( I realy have too many hats to wear some days:) )

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Looking forward to your contribution and especially your perspective. I'm glad you're stepping out of the shadows (I prefer to see my LEO's in front of me, rather than behind me!)

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Wow, sounds like you got a pretty good life. I am also a long time lurker and still semi-lurking (a member, but not really posting as often as I would like). I hope to hear some fun stories from you. ;)

So are you just starting your training for EMT-B or are you already finish?

Last edited by a moderator:

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Firetender has it right lol LEO in front haha. I am glad to see you on board and welcome to the mess that we all love.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Welcome aboard mike. Can't wait to hear some of your perspectives on some of the issue's that we have come up on this board.

OP
OP
TraprMike

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
thanks guys,, and yes, I am an EMT took the classes the past 4 months, passed the nat'l test a couple weeks ago.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
WELCOME!!
like firetender said, id love to hear things from your perspective!!
it seems like you've had a great amount of experience in the emergency services

Stay Safe, and welcome again!!!

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Welcome aboard; it's always nice to have a fresh set of eyes to add a different outlook on many things that we don't necessarily see ourselves. Look forward to hearing your views.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Firetender has it right lol LEO in front haha. I am glad to see you on board and welcome to the mess that we all love.

Definatly, LEO stops crazy person, handcuffs them, EMT works on pt after they have been cuffed and if the pt pukes, makes sure pts head is pointing at LEO. Right?

Not really......we all love having cops around.:p

And welcome!