Littmann scopes. Anyone that has one, how do u like it?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Is there a reason you don't like Littman scopes? What do you use? Just curious.

Littman is the brand most people get. That is all.

By the way, I use a Littman Select.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn conformists ;)

trevor1189

Forum Captain

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I plan on getting the Master Cardiology Black Edition myself. Am I a Cardiologist, no... can I find something cheaper that works as well, maybe so.

But let's be real about it though... say what you will about practicality and necessity, a hot Littman will make you really really really really really really good looking
:D

7927_zoolander.gif

Actually, a good stethoscope will not make you look any better to anyone. The public does not care and will not remember if you had a cardiology model or the sprague in the back of the rig. Other professionals will also not think any better of you. You will actually look silly to them if you cannot back it up will a solid knowledge of auscultation and pathophysiology.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a Cardiology III, I like it alot. The sounds are really clear and you can hear through patients clothes. It seems to amplify the really bad stuff you need to hear.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The sounds are really clear and you can hear through patients clothes.
See what happens when you post in a thread that you haven't bothered to read yet? :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
The sounds are really clear and you can hear through patients clothes.

To quote Miss Vent:

How do you know those crackles are from the lungs and not the clothes? The same goes for a pleural rub? How do you know you haven't missed faint expiratory wheezes when you don't hear them through the multiple layers of clothing?

I can mimic just about every breath sound with clothing when I am teaching students.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I have a Cardiology III, I like it alot. The sounds are really clear and you can hear through patients clothes. It seems to amplify the really bad stuff you need to hear.

How do you know those crackles are from the lungs and not the clothes? The same goes for a pleural rub? How do you know you haven't missed faint expiratory wheezes when you don't hear them through the multiple layers of clothing?

I can mimic just about every breath sound with clothing when I am teaching students.

Its skin or you fail in my class. People need to stop being afraid to look listen and feel. All needs to be done at the skin level not through clothes otherwise you have not done a proper exam.

Medic417 said it right there. You need to have skin contact to get a proper listen. I never listen to anything over clothes.

I'll sometimes do a BP over the clothes, just because it's a pain to pull their sleeve all the way up sometimes. And then, only if it's thin and tight enough.But I have NEVER listen to the lungs, heart, or abdomen over clothing. For me, the clothes themselves tend to make me hear a "crackling" noise.

Maybe Docs can get away with it, being in a nice quiet environment that doesn't move around, but there is no way we can hold still enough to get a good listen.

Oh, and by the buy: Littmann Cart. III myself. Got it for Christmas. LOVE it.

For your reading pleasure as to why clothes equal fail.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
cant go wrong >> it's a good scope
In the clinical environment, maybe. But in the field, the Cardiology III is far from ideal. You can do a lot better for a lot less.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Out of curiosity, what exactly makes it less than ideal? I love how well mine filters out background noise, is resistant to the bumps in the road and rubbing against other tubing or equipment, and have yet to have an issue with it. But as I only used a Card III the cheap $10 Sprogg I upgraded from, I don't really have a reference to work from.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
A CIII is certainly an improvement over a Sprague. It's a great scope, overall. But for field use, it suffers from the same shortcomings that the Sprague suffers from, primarily:

1. Dual head design allows for more noise than a single head design.

2. Dual head design -- especially the huge head on this thing -- is too big to stuff under a BP cuff for quiet BP readings.

There is no need for a dual head stethoscope in the field, so it just seems silly to get one when there are better choices. Choose a scope based on intelligent consideration of what is practical for the field, not based on what you see everyone at the hospital wearing.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
A CIII is certainly an improvement over a Sprague. It's a great scope, overall. But for field use, it suffers from the same shortcomings that the Sprague suffers from, primarily:

1. Dual head design allows for more noise than a single head design.

2. Dual head design -- especially the huge head on this thing -- is too big to stuff under a BP cuff for quiet BP readings.

There is no need for a dual head stethoscope in the field, so it just seems silly to get one when there are better choices. Choose a scope based on intelligent consideration of what is practical for the field, not based on what you see everyone at the hospital wearing.

So it sounds like your complaint is with the dual head, which I can see. I have only used the smaller size once or twice, just because it was the only one that would fit on a little baby. All things considered, I would have rather had the Card III that I saw one of my compatriots wear, with a molded grip on the one side rather than the lesser bell.

But as I got this thing for Christmas from my family, I can't really complain. It is worlds better than what I was using, and in a quiet room it's sensitive enough to hear a pulse in the palm of my hand. :p

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
This is the thread that wont die!:p

I use a Littmann Select. I like it, personally I don't beleive in spending hundereds on a steth as an EMT. The Select is a good comprimise between quality and price, and it works just fine for me.

GoldenBeaR6

Forum Probie
my $.02.

I bought a cardiology iii from a graduating med student who upgraded today for $25. I received a classic ii s.e. for christmas. And I bought and Adscope used for $35. My reviews of each are basically exactly what everyone else says:

Adscope - solid scope, hears good, no complaints except maybe the earpieces are less comfy.

Classic II SE - a little nicer, maaaaybe a little more sensitive/less noise than the Adscope, definitely enough for field/ambulance work

Cardiology III - clearly the best, noises clearer, background noise quieter, not worth the extra $$$ for the back of an ambulance/risk of loss, worth it if you have extra $$$ to blow and take good care of your stuff/won't lose it.

I'm keeping the cardiology at home for personal use/practice, classic for work, and Adscope in my car.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
This tread just keeps on going..... Anyhow......... ^_^

I have a Littmann Cardiology III, and I love it, it is the second one I have owned and both have served me well in the hospital, and in the field.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
booboorescuebig.jpg

These are new jump kits. The economy is effected everyone. :rolleyes:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I love it!!!!

OMG!!!! where did you find that?? Could you send me the info or link?? Thanks in advance!! Anna :)^_^:)

Scout

Para-Noid
I'm just going to slot this in here

I have a $10 steth, it works great but the ear piece has hard plastic inserts, I've seen gel ones around but will those fit onto the cheap head or are they different threads. I know it may be difficult to answer 100% right but best opinions welcome.

Is there a draw back to this?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
If you can't hear korotkoff sounds with just your basic scope, you may not be listening correctly.

Either that or you're driving on Pennsylvania roads and the korotkoff sounds sound like either a diesel engine or a couple tons of metal rolling over roads as smooth as a dirty teenager's complexion.

I have a Littman Leightweight II S.E. and I adore it. I especially adore how it cancels out the outside noise when you hold the bell firmly against the skin. I recommend Littman to anybody.