Littman is offering a free Electronic Stethoscope for 14 days

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Just got my email from Susan Richards. I will fax my form in today.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Update

Update:

This program is legit. I faxed in the form they emailed to me, and they sent me this email:

"Hi Robert,

I have received your signed commitment form. I am processing the loaner stethoscope for you, it is scheduled to go out within one business day for you via UPS. Please allow for 3 to 5 business days for shipping. I will follow up in a week to make sure that you have received it and to see if you have any questions. In the meantime, please let me know if I can assist in anyway before then.

Thanks,

[ logo removed ]"

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is the analysis of my heart in Zargis Cardioscan (The included software).

attachment.php

I have attached the full res screenshot. I am so impressed with this stethoscope that I am actually entering my credit card info as we speak to purchase this baby.

Attachments

• myheart.jpg
    myheart.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 628

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
am also messing with the software.. this is sick! o:

Perhaps after medic class I will have some money to shell out :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
am also messing with the software.. this is sick! o:

Perhaps after medic class I will have some money to shell out :p

Are your HRs reading true? Have you checked them. I am noticing that the HR is pretty head on when I check a manual along with the reading on the steth. I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, I actually just wrote a small review which I probably should have posted here, in the other thread comparing this to my new Classic II.

I did find my HR to be fairly accurate, and I want to take this into the field with me and see if the patients wont mind me testing it against theirs as well.. I find that feature highly convenient. Also, I absolutely love the volume control.. having a mild hearing loss since birth, I'll amplify anything I can, even though I can still hear just fine with the Classic.

Simusid

Forum Captain
Cardioscan looks pretty cool and maybe would be a great teaching aide. To anyone who gets a chance to play with it, is there any practical benefit to using this in prehospital EMS?

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Cardioscan looks pretty cool and maybe would be a great teaching aide. To anyone who gets a chance to play with it, is there any practical benefit to using this in prehospital EMS?

This is kind of how I feel, I really dont see a great use for the software in a pre-hospital setting, other than being cool and playing around with your co-workers. I do plan on purchasing this when I am finished with medic school and/or working full time. Right now, I think my Classic will be sufficient but you can be sure I'll use this baby in the field until my 2 weeks are up.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, the software can be loaded on a tough book if you do digital PCRs. I am currently writing a small piece of code that will allow the steth to utilize apple airplay speakers as an experiment. This would allow for the live auscultation to be heard on the speakers in the ambulance, allowing for all providers to hear the amplified sounds. As far as using the cardioscan on the toughbook like I said, there are 2 limitations...

1. The cost of the full zargis cardioscan software is $480 per license (Sincerely doubt any ambulance service would invest in this, nor would I expect them too)

2. The time it takes to follow the prompts is too long to justify the use of the zargis software, not to mention most services do not want the toughbooks used for anything but charting and calculations.

As far as the software goes, this is clearly a solution made for doctors offices and in-hospital environments. However, the stethoscope itself with the bluetooth technology can have many uses, some of which I am just beginning to imagine in prehospital medicine. Whether or not the airplay system with a modified bluetooth stack will work is to be seen. I will certainly post a vid of myself in the ambulance with another paramedic testing out the system as posting any imagery or video of a patient in the rig is a HIPAA violation and unethical to say the least (Plus, I do not feel like going through all the HIPAA red tape, so i will just use a coworker).

I will share my results with this forum along with vids. :)

As I said before, I will be using this stethoscope in both clinical practice and in education. I will utilize the software while teaching, and will probably never really use it in EMS.

On a side note, I am really enjoying the noise cancelling properties of the steth, and cannot wait to try to obtain a pressure in a moving ambulance using it.

Only time and hard, cold data will tell. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
have you had any feedback issues? im fine on the high frequency but on the other bell types i get some sort of feedback... not a nice feature!! :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
have you had any feedback issues? im fine on the high frequency but on the other bell types i get some sort of feedback... not a nice feature!! :p

Nope. I am getting ready to pack mine back in the box. I went ahead and ordered the stethoscope, once it comes I will pack up this trial steth. I haven't had any issues except for two.

1. Stethassist will not load, it loads the javaw process, yet will not show the GUI of the program. I am a developer, so I am 100% that my java settings and environmental settings are correct, and that my java is updated.

2. Whenever I am doing a cardioscan analysis and I go for the apical auscultation, I have issues with the bluetooth when I have to place the steth under a woman's left breast, which sounds funny.. However, this is a legitimate concern. I am writing a thorough review to the company.

Simusid

Forum Captain
I don't know much about bluetooth. I'm wondering if it will pair with an iPhone as a wireless mic?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know much about bluetooth. I'm wondering if it will pair with an iPhone as a wireless mic?

No. I am an iPhone developer and one of the limitations of iOS is the poorest bluetooth stack ever. In fact, you can't even utilize a bluetooth keyboard, GPS, or mouse without jailbreaking and utilizing a stack like BT Stack or RoqyBT programmed by a third party. I am in the process of developing a stack that will interact with the steth, but it will be for personal use only and will never be accepted by the appstore as it requires jailbreaking to work. The iPad 2 will have a bluetooth stack with more support for 802.11x devices, however I doubt it will be anything more than keyboard or mouse support.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I think I am getting ready to ship this one back, perhaps after Medic class I'll get one with volume control. Hoping this feedback problem isnt widespread!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Those of you that got the 3200, did you get the software with it?

Yes. Here is what was included:

The Stethoscope in the original box
4 ear pieces
1 AA battery was in the steth
1 CD (Zargis Cardioscan Trial)
1 CD (Zargis Steth Assist Full)
A few guides and paperwork

Aside from the box, there was included an envelope with the whole, "Thank you for evaluating" as well as a small questionaire and a postage sticker for sending the eval steth back.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief