Little nervous..

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
So, I'm new to this lifestyle and actually go on my first shift Saturday. I won't lie, I am a little nervous as to the visual nature of what I can be seeing and dealing with. My question is to any more experienced EMT's out there, how do you handle your first real bad call during and afterwards? I imagine it isn't something most people can just eat a sandwich immediately after the first few times. Is there a mind state I should be prepared for or am I inevitably going to be shocked and throw up after. I have no intentions of quitting and all intentions of learning to stomach the job. Any advice would be great and helpful. Thanks!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
So, I'm new to this lifestyle and actually go on my first shift Saturday. I won't lie, I am a little nervous as to the visual nature of what I can be seeing and dealing with. My question is to any more experienced EMT's out there, how do you handle your first real bad call during and afterwards? I imagine it isn't something most people can just eat a sandwich immediately after the first few times. Is there a mind state I should be prepared for or am I inevitably going to be shocked and throw up after. I have no intentions of quitting and all intentions of learning to stomach the job. Any advice would be great and helpful. Thanks!
How did it go on your ride alongs? i take it that you must not have had too much action with a question like that. you will feel nervous until you arrive on scene probably...i don't know i never did i just got stoked. here is the thing, blood and gore bother people who don't know what to do when they see it, you have been trained on what to do, so it will make you feel waaaaay better. the whole stomaching thing is a different story, i had to cath. a 90 y.o. lady my first hospital rotation...i ate lunch...but didn't drink anything for a few hours. trust me your nerves will calm as soon as you get your hands on the patient.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
It may be helpfull to perform a supportive duty on scene. Allow the more expeirenced medics to treat the patient, and you can observe and get involved from the outside inwards, by passing and setting up equipment. Try and avoid the family members, as they might ask you questions you will not be able to answer.

With regards to the stomach, if you need to chunder, try and do it diplomatically by excusing yourself from the scene and other practitioners and tr and do it an appropriate place, it can save you a lot of embarresment!!

Good luck.

Hastings

Noobie

I don't remember what my first real bad call was. Therefore, I can tell you a few things about my mind before, during, and after.

It didn't get to me at all. I'm not sure why either. I was expecting what you suggested to happen. But I didn't really feel anything. You get into the moment, into the EMT mindset, and you're too busy doing what you were trained to do to worry about any of that. And you know, I've even been able to eat a sandwich right after each time. I'm not sure if it's the norm, but I never had a moment of being shocked, upset, or sick.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You will probably find that you get so intent on working your skills that the gore is sort of a sideline and not the main event.

My first really gory scene was a driver kissing a tree. Literally, road curved, car went straight, driver ejected into a tree, the cops found his teeth in the tree. I was doing a search with a heat sensor for any possible other pt's/passengers at the scene with a LEO. He almost stepped on a chunk of the driver on the road a good 15 feet or more from the wreckage. We took a moment to try to figure out what part of the guy that was.. we agreed on a piece of what used to be his upper palate. We all had pizza later.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I guess it just depends. Take it call by call and if you are having difficulties don't be afraid to talk to the other medics you are working with. Everything takes time. I never had an issue. Seen a lot of stuff out there and it doesn't bother me in that way. I can go eat a full meal right after. Not really dwell on it. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes it is a bad thing.

One thing we do at the service I work for is we go through a rough call about a hour after. Talk about everything we did and how we felt we did and if anything is bothering us about the call.

Number one thing is to remember we have all been there at some point and don't be afraid to speak to other medics. They will be able to talk with you or at least point you in the direction of someone who can help ya.

Take care out there. Stay safe!

MDKEMT

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My filter for most gory stuff is to view it as "Wow... that's kinda neat... I've never seen a deer's liver lying on the side of the road". Sights don't usually give me problems... but some sounds/smells do (vomit/fecal matter).

As for "bad" calls - you win some, you loose some. Many people I've talked with had a "bad" call after they'd been working in the field for a few months. If it happens... take a little time off... then come back.

Buzz

Forum Captain
My filter for most gory stuff is to view it as "Wow... that's kinda neat... I've never seen a deer's liver lying on the side of the road". Sights don't usually give me problems... but some sounds/smells do (vomit/fecal matter).

I'm with you on the sounds. The sound of someone throwing up usually makes me a little nauseated. Having a kid sort of forced me to become immune to smell, though.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So, I'm new to this lifestyle

Aside from the great comments already given...

My advice for someone new is this....it is NOT a lifestyle. It is a job and for some, it is a career. One day soon, it may be a profession. We are working on it and I encourage you to learn as much as possible in order to help us (EMS as a whole) achieve this.

EMS is what we do, it is not who we are. When that line is blurred, that is when problems arise. Do your job, then go home and live your life.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
My first rule on blood and gore is "Its not mine, so its not my problem". I'm there to help someone else with their problem. I find that I do way more medical calls than trauma and most trauma calls aren't bloody. I see a lot of broken hips and sore backs from falls. Most MVC's I attend the people are out walking around saying they don't need or want us. Seat belts and air bags work and we have fairly high seat belt compliance here. For those calls that are not so tidy I like the neat factor. Its not everyday you can see someones femur or the actual skull bone. So it hasn't been a big problem for me.

The calls that bug me are like the lady I took in with a constant A-Fib who felt weak. We laughed and joked on the way in. Six hours later when they couldn't stop the A-Fib she arrested and died.

Its reasonable for a new person to be nervous. Unless you are a real s*%@ magnet you'll probably be fine. And you won't know that until you start running calls so don't worry about what you have no control over.