Lights off for fire

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm in charge of creating the SOP for our school, and one of them is the standard fire response.

Every plan I've read calls for teachers to exit the room, close windows and doors, and to shut off the lights. I understand that we'd close the windows and doors to cut off O2 and prevent spreading, but what's with the lights off?

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in charge of creating the SOP for our school, and one of them is the standard fire response.

Every plan I've read calls for teachers to exit the room, close windows and doors, and to shut off the lights. I understand that we'd close the windows and doors to cut off O2 and prevent spreading, but what's with the lights off?

Maybe fire can't see in the dark? :p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
conserve electricity?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine

Just a totally wild guess - fluroscent bulbs have a higher probability of exploding when they're turned on?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
lights off = empty room?

This would be my guess also. In addition, one of the first things the FD is supposed to do for an actual fire is cut off electricty and gas to the structure, but this doesn't always happen.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I always wondered about that, too.

Maybe it is "Because we've ALWAYS done it this way"

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Two things:

Lights off means the room is empty.

Lights that are on (as well as radios, etc) can cause a spark that will ignite gasses, etc. If you've ever ventilated a house during an LP gas leak, everything gets turned off and stays off, including radios on crew members, etc.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Two things:

Lights off means the room is empty.

Lights that are on (as well as radios, etc) can cause a spark that will ignite gasses, etc. If you've ever ventilated a house during an LP gas leak, everything gets turned off and stays off, including radios on crew members, etc.
That works for me!!!:) :)

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd just like to leave some anecdotal evidence after reading the replies. As a member of the school ERT team, it is my job to search for a fire source if a fire alarm is pulled. We had an alarm going off but couldn't find any fire alarms pulled.

Searching room by room, I always spent more time in rooms with the lights on/electricity on. If a room had an overhead on, my instinct was to turn it off and turn off the lights. Lights off, especially in a school setting, is a symbol of calm and order.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's my guess.