Lets design a true identfying clothing style for EMS

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Some would look good in that but others I am scared of the thought.:unsure:

So seriously what says medical? White coats, scrubs. Should we combine something like that with say EMS pants?

white coats are for people who don't do any work. scrubs would be good. Especially since you can get them in just about any color and they are super comfortable. Some even come with side pockets like EMS pants.

But I think you would need something a little heavier for the wear outside.

I think the red and white uniforms with reflectors they use here look good, definately say medical, and can be configured for all weather and events with jackets, sweaters, etc.

I think all green would give many providers flashbacks of working for Acadian. Not a bad place per say but the green uniforms just make you want put a "O'" in front of your last name and a clover on your hat.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've found EMS readily identifiable in most news photos as the medic is the one bending over the pt. My mother in law actually asked me why there are never pictures of her son's face in the newspaper. Well, mom.. he's attending to the pt! "Can't he turn around for just a second for the camera?" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though.. we can't agree on law enforcement, fire or even within a hospital who wears what...how can EMS be universally identifiable and who are we wanting to be identifiable to? Around here, Fire is black, city cops are blue, sheriffs are green, Park rangers are khaki, prison staff is navy bluen a shade or two darker than the city cops but then so are the coasties. And there's only a shade or two between the rangers and the sheriff's shirts. You have to see the badge to tell them apart. Oh.. the rangers don't have guns either. But then the county park guys are also similarly dressed to the rangers, and they don't carry guns either.. and tourists are sometimes confused between what's a county park and a federal park.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
So medical styles that would hold up in the field. I mean we all understand cop badges fire badges etc do not look medical. As medical professionals is ther a style that could identify a Ambulance Medical Professional.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't think there is an appropriate uniform. I am impressed with those from the North Canada area. Yes, it is similar to fire but very clean and just to the point. From what I have seen very reflective on outerwear which my philosophy is that it is better to be seen than felt. Especially now these days very poor staging occurs.

Scrubs are worthless. Yeah, comfortable in the ER but even then I believe they were a pain sometimes. The only reason most still use them in the hospital is because they are comfortable and cheap. Especially the male sizes are ill fitted.

I agree the back wording has at least removed the doubt of whom we are. We don't use the initials.. simply MEDIC or PARAMEDIC. At least in the paper, they no longer can acclaim the heroes were the fire department as it used to.

R/r 911

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
Something in Kevlar, bullet, blood, glass and vomit proof. padded. with auto lift device and a bow tie.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I wore scrubs in field EMS for several years, and only once had a problem. That was the night I attempted to hang my heavy handheld radio on my waist at an accident scene, and my scrub pants fell to the pavement. Ooops! Other than that, I never had any problem with scrubs in the field that I didn't have equally with other, more "traditional" garb (weather notwithstanding).

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
I wore scrubs in field EMS for several years, and only once had a problem. That was the night I attempted to hang my heavy handheld radio on my waist at an accident scene, and my scrub pants fell to the pavement. Ooops! Other than that, I never had any problem with scrubs in the field that I didn't have equally with other, more "traditional" garb (weather notwithstanding).

Glad I missed that call.

:ph34r:

emtfarva

Forum Captain
In my area we have a EMS department that uses charcoal gray shirts with black pants. We also have a FD that uses red polos, but I believe that they use them for both sides. We have a private co that uses green shirts with black pants. I believe with everybody that said we should have reflective id's on the back. We should have level and EMS or Star-of-life.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
II believe with everybody that said we should have reflective id's on the back.
I disagree. Reflective IDs serve no other purpose other than to give us a false sense of security, leaving us to believe we don't need to wear our ANSI vests in traffic. If you're in traffic, you need to be wearing ANSI compliant hi-vis gear. If you're not in traffic, you don't need crap on your back.

We should have level and EMS or Star-of-life.
Disagree again. The general public has no idea what either of those mean. The only people that understand them are the people we work with, and they'd know who we are whether we had an SOL on our back or not. Consequently, both are pointless accessories.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
Ok so my service has a couple of requirements for a Uniform first of all during the day shift we are required to be in Class "b" I think is what y'all would call them an EMS shirt from 5.11 and Navy Blue EMS pants...They carry our company name have the agency badge for the correct level as well as a brass name tag...our EMS agency requires that we wear our cert on our collar and that it be visible at all times...now when night hits or you are working the night shifts you are allowed to wear a jumpsuit however all of the above is still required however there are additional requirements such as reflective stripping and on the back it has to say on a huge patch the company name and your cert level as well.

chute43

Forum Probie
I agree with the northern canadian uniforms, even though I am a firefighter and we wear the typical navy blue nomex pants and shirts. I like the Canadian style. I believe that we outside of the great white north will see, more clothing that is blood borne pathogen proof. How many times, have you practiced a little blood letting "by accident" and it soaked through your pants. Just my thought atleast, I would like to see our people protected a little better. Plus think of all the broken glass we come in close contact with as well, crawling through vehicles, etc.

just my thought
kary

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
That's certainly a valid justification for durable clothing that protects us from the elements and hazards. I don't see color being a part of that equation though.

Flight style nomex coveralls are an excellent way to go, and are seen in several Canadian ground providers, but again, you gotta worry about the people whose bodies are less than suited for the style.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
That's certainly a valid justification for durable clothing that protects us from the elements and hazards. I don't see color being a part of that equation though.

Flight style nomex coveralls are an excellent way to go, and are seen in several Canadian ground providers, but again, you gotta worry about the people whose bodies are less than suited for the style.

Are you insinuating my former American football frame is not built for flight suits good sir...cause I wear them quite frequently seeing as I work nights alot.

chute43

Forum Probie
These are the ones, I am talking about-EMS outer pants

I know they wouldn't be the most comfortable in temperatures, but hopefully technology will catch up with the need.

kary

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Our current uniforms are dark blue pants and white dress shirts. Anyone wearing a white shirt should not be confused with police or fire who mostly wear dark colored shirts. We are issued Smurf blue jackets and parkas to wear as required and navy vests are optional. However these are going to be phased out in favor of neon yellow (N/Y) ones. The N/Y are much brighter and more easily seen. The downside is some police wear that color as well when they want to be visible, such as at accident scenes. I do not like being confused with police.
Our jackets and vests all have "PARAMEDIC" on the back in reflective letters and some reflective stripes. The outer parka, (it's a three in one type system), is a Goretex type material called "Crosstech". Apparently it is supposed to keep out bloodborne pathogens better than Goretex, although it is made by Gore. The company also had a one time issue of rain/snow pants in the same material. It was a dark navy with reflective stripe around the cuff.
Overall I'm fairly happy with what we have. As to a new EMS color, I think some of the green and yellow the europeans wear would be good.

I once had a pt who was tripping on LSD who flipped out over our purple gloves. I don't know how he would've reacted to "fluorescent pink jump suits with lime green and white reflectors and stars of life".

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
I think all green would give many providers flashbacks of working for Acadian. Not a bad place per say but the green uniforms just make you want put a "O'" in front of your last name and a clover on your hat.

Worst. Uniform. EVAR.

Personally, I find wearing a stethoscope around my neck generally gives folks a good idea of which public safety service I'm with.

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
Worst. Uniform. EVAR.

Personally, I find wearing a stethoscope around my neck generally gives folks a good idea of which public safety service I'm with.

We're talking Medical Professionals not public safety. Sorry if I was not clear. I am looking for a uniform that shows we are Medical Professionals, distinct from public safety, i.e. cops and fire.

Also stethoscope around the neck, bad idea. Let patient get a hold and they own you. Control the head you control the person and they can choke and beat you to death. Then they will say thank you for making it easy.

Sasha

Forum Chief
We're talking Medical Professionals not public safety. Sorry if I was not clear. I am looking for a uniform that shows we are Medical Professionals, distinct from public safety, i.e. cops and fire.

It's impossible to create a universal uniform just for EMS. You'll run into the problems of not being able to afford a "new" uniform, not being durable for every kind of terrain, rural and urban you'll run into, and the fact that there are areas where fire fighters ARE medical professionals.

So my dear, how do you plan to address all those issues?

OP
OP
medic417

medic417

The Truth Provider
It's impossible to create a universal uniform just for EMS. You'll run into the problems of not being able to afford a "new" uniform, not being durable for every kind of terrain, rural and urban you'll run into, and the fact that there are areas where fire fighters ARE medical professionals.

So my dear, how do you plan to address all those issues?

Thats why I posed the question so we could try and design a style. That style could be adapted for cold or hot climates, for city slickers and for us that have to climb mountains covered in cactus. Think about the scrubs in hospitals. There are several variations based on type of work being done but still obvious they are scrubs.

As to afford we all need new clothes at times so next time buy the uniform.

As to FF's if they are in the ambulance they need to look as a Medical Professional as at that time medicine is their focus not fighting fire.

We need to have something that says Medical Professional w/o words. Think about commercials on TV they have someone in scrubs and we think nurse, or someone in a white coat and we think doctor even when they do no tell us that they are. While I think education is our biggest problem this is a side point that could also benefit us.

Last edited by a moderator: