"Less Than Perfect" DNRs

I would feel comfortable calling for termination orders without a properly filled out DNR type form?

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Normally I would expect that in situation 1 I'd get an order to terminate efforts and in situation 2 I'd get an order to go full-tilt boogie on resus efforts and terminate efforts according to protocol. Where I live, EMS isn't allowed to "trust" the family in situation 2 unless someone can prove they're the designated HC decision-maker with paperwork to back it up. Because of that, situation 1 gets OLMC involved. Situation 2 goes very quickly to full-tilt boogie ALS. If there's a DPAHC, then everything pretty much gets cleaned up instantly and neither situation happens...

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Here we actually have (in writing) a stipulation that we should consider a family's wishes to terminate resuscitation if there isn't a DNR present. We also don't have to contact OLMC when we decide to terminate, regardless of circumstance. Even BLS can stop working a code if there's a prolonged period of "no shock advised" from the AED, which is really helpful for the extremely rural departments.

cjclrkk

Forum Ride Along
OK, murder by DNR is one thing, but would you resuscitate a 35 y/o that you found hanging by the neck from the rope, still warm and viable with a hand written DNR pinned to his shirt?
you would have to immediatley begin working the pt there is no legal backing for you to follow the request of a DNR that someone else could have easily written and pinned to their shirt

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Recently was given a DNR DNI form that also stated the pt was a full code. When in doubt and we defer to family if available or they get a full code work up usually.