Leaving on the lights while on scene?

TeamCutz

Forum Probie
For "rapid" calls where we know we're going to be loading and going lights stay on, but I'll just throw the hazard on typically.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
If we are blocking traffic or in the roadway, the lights stay on. Also, in our area we respond to a lot of ranches and farms as well as agricultural processing plants. When I am on a call at one of those, I usually also leave the lights on as it makes it easier for the fire department or law enforcement to find us in a large complex of buildings. A lot of times the building we are going to is hundreds of feet off the road and multiple buildings on a large farm/plant share the same address so leaving the lights on, expedites other responders finding us and not having to drive around looking for us like we probably did looking for the right building in the first place.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Anywhere besides a parking space or driveway I leave the lights on. Partly for safety, but mostly because I don't want some a-hole blocking my egress.

One time while working up an unresponsive snf patient some guy came in the room and asked if we could move the fire apparatus so he could exit the parking lot.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We tend to turn them off when on scene, or put on what we call "scene lights" which are just the two corners of the front and back lightbars flashing
OP: why would you want to turn the lights off or leave them on while on a scene?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anywhere besides a parking space or driveway I leave the lights on. Partly for safety, but mostly because I don't want some a-hole blocking my egress.

One time while working up an unresponsive snf patient some guy came in the room and asked if we could move the fire apparatus so he could exit the parking lot.

My old partner and I got cornered by an angry drunk in an alley who wanted to tangle and while we're fighting with this guy trying to get control or get away and pressing panic buttons declaring a 10-78 this guy walks up, couldn't be bothered to help us with this guy who's twice our size and obviously winning, and asks us to move the ambulance. I guess he don't see the cops running up behind him cause he got one hell of a tongue lashing after everything simmered down.

People are so dumb.

Sorry way off topic.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I leave them on. I could probably come up with reasons like "let's the community know we're here" "scene safety" etc, which I guess plays into it subconsciously, but ultimately its just habit. If its a DOA I'll come back out and then them off so any family arriving doesn't have that stimulus normal people have from seeing the lights and getting them even more bothered. Also to keep the neighbors in their house.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
I usually leave them on, or it for whatever reason it comes to my mind as we arrive I'll throw the secondaries on.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I leave them on. I could probably come up with reasons like "let's the community know we're here" <snip>

I turn them off because I don't want everyone to know I'm there. Obviously unless I'm blocking a high traffic street or something.

jboz7089

Forum Probie
If I responded code, lights are left on scene unless requested otherwise.

If I responded no lights/siren, they usually stay off, unless it is an low visibility area, or an industrial area where there is a lot of machine traffic.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I turn them off because I don't want everyone to know I'm there. Obviously unless I'm blocking a high traffic street or something.

If I rolled up code, they already know, if they some how missed the lights or siren, the diesel engine, reflective chevrons on the back, or the big red truck with its lights on will probably give it away.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
I may be missing something, or maybe it's because I'm in rural EMS, but why the concern about people seeing you on scene??

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I may be missing something, or maybe it's because I'm in rural EMS, but why the concern about people seeing you on scene??
For those with multiple tiered system, nd hard to find addresses, he lights help following responders find the scene easier

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
If I rolled up code, they already know, if they some how missed the lights or siren, the diesel engine, reflective chevrons on the back, or the big red truck with its lights on will probably give it away.

I usually shut it down a couple blocks away.

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Got it, stuff that I have never had to deal with and probably never will where I'm at. We like it out where we are because if we're first on fire can find us by the lights and pick the right dirt road and vice versa. We call each other scene markers!

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Leaving lights on/off while on scene would depend (to me) on the nature of the call, time of day, traffic obstruction if present, PR concerns, etc.

I tend to turn them off while on scene at residential areas (especially at night), while I usually leave them on when along the roadway.

jboz7089

Forum Probie
Got it, stuff that I have never had to deal with and probably never will where I'm at. We like it out where we are because if we're first on fire can find us by the lights and pick the right dirt road and vice versa. We call each other scene markers!

Same here. First one to see leaves them on to spot where the other personnel need to be, typically.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Same here. First one to see leaves them on to spot where the other personnel need to be, typically.

I think it is pretty much a universal thing in rural EMS. Even if we respond alone down a dirt road we leave the lights on so if the call goes bad, the sheriff can find us easier. Oh the joys of middle of nowhere wild goose chases.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think it is pretty much a universal thing in rural EMS. Even if we respond alone down a dirt road we leave the lights on so if the call goes bad, the sheriff can find us easier. Oh the joys of middle of nowhere wild goose chases.
Good point. We tend to leave ours on on the rare occasion we run hot to a call. But if we get in trouble it can be an hour or more till we get a deputy on scene in thr more remote parts of the county. Especially down the oil rig lease roads