Law mandates new training for 911 dispatchers

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
That was completely un-necassary.

*edit, I can't spell :(

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk+Feb 18 2005, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shorthairedpunk @ Feb 18 2005, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The story you reference is a 13 year old girl whos sister called 911 when she was in the pool, the dispatcher kept her on the line, but offered no advice per policy, when the general consensu was that had CPR or other avice been given survivability would have been increased.[/b]

Want to talk about ignorance? If you had clicked on the link I included you would have found the below... show me where it talks about a 13 year old in a pool, then let's chat about ignorance.

Woman Drowns in Canal After 911 Call
At about 5:00 a.m. on Feb. 16 Karla Gutierrez was driving on the Florida Turnpike in West Miami-Date when her car veered off the road, plunged into a canal and sank. The exact timing of the events is unclear, but Gutierrez was able to dial 911 and reach a Miami-Dade County calltaker, and speak for some 3-1/2 minutes before her car submerged. She gave conflicting information about her location, and by the time a police officer noticed skid marks, and divers reached her vehicle some 50 minutes later, she was dead. The incident quite naturally sparked discussions and questions from the victim's family, dispatchers, dispatch training companies and the media. 8-10-2001

Gutierrez's fiancé was angry, and claimed the calltaker did not receive sufficient training--he said the unnamed dispatcher should have given Gutierrez instructions on how to escape from the vehicle rather than focusing on questions about her location. The incident resulted in press coverage which, in turn, generated comments from those in the dispatching profession, which eventually appeared in newspapers and on television. The "Dateline NBC" show profiled the incident on Feb. 27th, interviewing a Miami-Date fire captain, the victim's fiancé and Bill Kinch, an employee of Medical Priority Consultants, which markets medical and fire protocol and pre-arrival instruction cards. The incident also sparked the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) to issue a press release about the incident, pointing out that Phase I and II wireless E911 might have helped locate the woman quicker, and for emergency units to arrive faster.

<!--QuoteBegin-shorthairedpunk
@Feb 18 2005, 08:59 PM
now, if you would like to continue, I can belittle you and show your ignorance until the cows come home, though that will be more then pointless since it is likely you have not the availbe mental capacity to comprehend the insult, instead you would likely focus on spelling or grammar.[/quote]

I just wanted more information. Most cases that have million dollar settlements are not only discussed on some tv show, but also in print somewhere. That's all. Back off, and keep the insults to yourself. We don't do that on these boards. That's why we're all here and not somewhere else.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've opened this topic back up for further discussion, as long as everyone abides by the rules here.