Latex Allergy

mikie

Forum Lurker
I haven't come into contact with any patients with a latex allergy...how severe can they be? Could simply touching the patients arm with one hand be enough to cause anaphylactic shock? Or other life threatening injuries?

And has any provider on here have a latex allergy attributed to on-the-job?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Mikie, one of my classmates had an anaphylactic reaction to latex by being the patient for vital signs sign off. As I understand it, it was just the gripping of the wrist for a pulse with latex gloves on that triggered the reaction.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I haven't come into contact with any patients with a latex allergy...how severe can they be? Could simply touching the patients arm with one hand be enough to cause anaphylactic shock? Or other life threatening injuries?

And has any provider on here have a latex allergy attributed to on-the-job?

Enough to kill someone, I guess that would be considered dangerous enough. I have seen an employee with severe allergies to latex, enough the usual medications did not work and the patient went into profound shock...

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Latex allergy can cause symptoms ranging from allergic rhinitis, urticaria (hives), wheezing and anaphylactic shock.

Children with Spina Bifida are also very prone to latex allergies.

OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
Ok, good (kinda), because what I did was on my suspenders (for bunkers, cause I wear them on some calls (we can argue that elsewhere ^_^ ), I placed a glove pouch with 4 latex gloves (my size), cause our trucks primarily have latex everywhere and the non-latex are in a cabinet. So I figure if we come into contact with a pt w/ an allergy, I could easily switch, whereas the other would have to go back to the rig (I suppose I could give the other two to person, if they fit).

so some guys just kinda wonder why and are confused as to why I have it.

Thanks everyone!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Why is that exactly? I always assumed it was the sheer number of operations they received as an infants?

That is the theory. It will be interesting to see if that changes as less latex products are being used in the OR and throughout the hospital.

Prevalence of latex allergy in spina bifida: genetic and environmental risk factors
Ausili E, Tabacco F, Focarelli B, Nucera E, Patriarca G, Rendeli C. Prevalence of latex allergy in spina bifida: genetic and environmental risk factors.
European Review for Medical Pharmacological Sciences. 2007 May-Jun;11(3):149-53.

http://spina-bifida-bibliography.blogspot.com/2007/11/prevalence-of-latex-allergy-in-spina.html

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Our trucks are exclusivly equiped with nitrile gloves. That solves a somewhat rare but serious problem.

Anyone know if nitrile cost more than latex? If its not a cost factor there is no reason not to switch. Problem solved.

wexlerk13

Forum Probie
i have a friend who is a medic, who became allergic to latex after 7 years as a medic. He picked his kid up at a birthday party, kid brought a deflated balloon home. Dad's airway closed and the car crashed. Luckily his emt buddies were in the area picking thier kids up too. Hardest airway i have ever seen get intubated. It can be brutal.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Very Good Idea!

More and more hospitals and now ambulance companies are switching over to the nitrile gloves. The bottom line is this, why add insult to injury.......

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Company I used to work for switched from Latex tourniquets after a patient had an anaphalactic reaction to just having the tourniquet put in place. Almost immediate.....bad day.

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
both of my squads exclusively use nitrile

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
i have a friend who is a medic, who became allergic to latex after 7 years as a medic. He picked his kid up at a birthday party, kid brought a deflated balloon home. Dad's airway closed and the car crashed. Luckily his emt buddies were in the area picking thier kids up too. Hardest airway i have ever seen get intubated. It can be brutal.

wow:eek: it can get that severe? that even not making contact can iniatiate the reaction!?

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Ive heard of alot of healthcare people develope allergies to latex from so much exposure to it over the years. I personally keep one thigh pocket full of latex gloves and the other full of nitrile so im prepared for ether situation (comes to my mind alot cause my gf is allergic to latex) but i know some doctors that never have had a problem till recently and now they react to latex. it sucks

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I am latex sensitive. According to the physician who diagnosed it for me, many people who are allergic to Kiwi fruit are also latex sensitive. I worked in a hospital, back in the days before latex allergies were really becoming known. We had a 'latex free' cart that was stocked for use in the OR on latex sensitive pts. A woman in for surgery went into cardiac arrest on the OR table. They found out later that there was a small membrane in the IV tubing that was made of latex. The IV solution flowing across that membrane picked up enough of the allergan to send the woman into arrest. (She lived BTW)

My reaction is not nearly so severe, but I do wonder. How many of your pts are going to be able to tell you that they are latex sensitive? How many of your pts know they are latex sensitive? Why would you wear latex gloves and run the risk when there is a risk free alternative?

I did not know I was latex sensitive until I put on a pair of latex gloves in my first EMT class. My hands started itching and the next thing I knew I was yanking them off to find both hands covered in hives, red, irritated and unbearably itchy. I didn't know if it was the talc or the latex so I had it tested.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
we use mostly latex free here as well. i'm latex sensitive and was basically told to stay away from it whenever and wherever possible. several people i know have developed allergies to latex after working in the medical field for years. i guess it's not that uncommon =/

OP
OP
mikie

mikie

Forum Lurker
I'm pretty sure all of our other equipment is latex-free (O2 masks, IV tubing, Dressings, etc).

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I also work in a completely latex free ambulance, but I understand it was not always that way. Is is nessecary to clean the entire ambulance when switching over? After making sure that all equipment and PPE is latex free, does the ambulance need an specific cleaning?
DES

AJemt

Forum Crew Member
a few years ago there was a company a couple hours away that had transported some balloons in the front of their rig to a company party - then got tapped for call. the pt (who DID live and was fine) had a severe latex allergy, to the point where the crew could not put her in their ambulance and had to call a backup truck in because the moment she went into the truck she started to close up. yes latex allergies can be bad - most however i don't think are that bad.
personally i like the non-latex gloves better than the latex gloves....plus what happens if you pull up on scene jump out to an MVA w/ unconscious pt and you already have your gloves on and pt has major latex issues?? just something to think about....

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
Latex allergies can be very bad depending on the amount of previous exposer. Latex allergies are a progressive allergy, the more often you are exposed the more likely you are to develop it. This is more true once you have developed the allergy, if your not careful to avoid exposure you can get to the point where it can be life threatening. s why kids with Spina Bifida are very susceptible. Almost all adults with Spina Bifida now a days will have some kinda of reaction to latex. I personally have the allergy, developed when I was 15 as long as I am careful not to touch latex I do not have any problems. But simply touching it will cause me to swell and itch.

An interesting note is that my allergist actually told me that it could get as bad that I could not eat bananas or avocados with out having a reaction. Although I don't remember why this is.