Laryngoscope handles...curved of straight.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Yes, I said HANDLE.
Does anybody else have a curved handle as well as the traditional straight handle?
If so, which do you like better? And with what kind of blade?
Curved handle w mac/miller? Or straight handle w mac/miller?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Curved handle and blade?

200px-Horseshoe.jpg

OP
OP
T

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Exactly!

It's totally weird(or just new). I haven't tried to tube anybody with that combo yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I like the feel of the intubrights. When I used them on the manikin I felt like it reinforced better positioning and "hand posture."

To be honest, I have intubated so many times with the first handle available or whatever the anesthesiologist handed me, I rarely notice a huge difference anymore.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Curved handle and blade?

200px-Horseshoe.jpg

I was going through my ALS airway kit earlier, came to the handle and blades, pictured a horse shoe and started laughing. My partner thinks I'm a nut now, thanks.

I've never seen or used the intubright, although my opinion doesn't matter much seeing as I don't have very many tubes under my belt. I can't even decide if I like Macs or Millers better and now these curved handles...so many choices!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Don't take this the wrong way, but what is an Intubright?

EDIT: NVM. Swanky, found it on Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwk

Forum Captain
Interesting - I'll be the first to admit I've never seen or heard of these.

However - my impression is it's a gimmick at best, and potentially damaging at worst. I have no problem with the straight handles with the "finger grip" concept. The curved handle seems like it would force you into a position where you're likely to rock back and far more likely to snap off some teeth. I dunno - I'd have to try it.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
My impression was the opposite when I practiced with them. Like I said though, I'm not a consistent user, and have never had a preference of one style over another...I've always been a "whatever gets the job done" type.

OP
OP
T

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
We've had them for, I'd say, around a year now. We have both handles in our intubation kits. Like I said, I've never tubed somebody with the curved handle yet. I use the straight handle because it's what I've always used(this finger grips are...whatever. It doesn't make a difference for me). Other medics like the curved handle better...with a Mac blade.

I will say this though: it is very bright and illuminates much, much better than the old handles we had(Rusch).

Just wanted to know what anyone else thought about them who have used them.

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
We use them in my service but truthfully unless you start on them you probably wont like them. Ive intubated once with them and hate them with a passion they don't allow my hand positioned the way that I learned to intubate .