Language a potential challenge on 911 calls

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you'll find that most patients know a few words of English, even if your questions are simplified. I've only used Spanish in the field once. Many services use a telephone translation service where you put the patient on speakerphone and the translator will translate questions and responses.

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt that service require a subscription? i've yet to work for a company that would write that check...

about all you can do is your best. treat what you can see. do a really focused assessment. all in all its much like a peds call.

i worked for one service that was russian owned and subsequently had a significant russian clientele. it was standing orders that if there was a language issue, we were to call the owner and he would translate. whne i first started there, i was very reluctant to wake the guy who signs my checks at 2am. shortly before i left(after realizing how much i hated that chop shop) i called him every chance i got. bottom line there is if you treat your crews like poopie, it might just come back to bite you.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Kev,

Yes, the cost is about $2-$3 per minute. I never used it in the field or know of anyone who has.

reaper

Working Bum
Our service uses the translation service. We don't use it much, but if you need it, you call dispatch and they patch you through.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
The service is called "language line". We don't have it in the field, but the hospital I'm at has it. We've only used it once when a local translator was not avaliable and he was the only guy locally who knew the language. You can use speaker phone or use a phone with two handsets (as we did to protect pt privacy)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
by the way - we talked about this regarding a news article a week or two ago... so I merged the threads.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good old common body and sign language usually works... as well as t-a-l-k-i-n-g real s-l-o-w-& LOUD.. Don't know why most do that.. not like they are hard of hearing?

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If you want to be the "tip of the spear", cut...to...the..chase.

Despite some of the rhetoric I hear at work and am reading here, I fail to believe anyone here would abandon a pt just because they failed to speak English if it was apparent that the pt needed care NOW.

That said, you have to then take into account how to surmount this language divide. (And try that where I am...lots of folks speaking Spanish, Mexican dialects, SE Asian languages and dialects, Hindi, varieties of Chinese, Fiji, and broken English with cultural biases of many other flavors). Even with interpreter services, how do you ask the pt which language they speak before you dial the sevice? (Make and carry a 5X8 card with "Is this your language? " written in various local languages and have the pt point to the correct one). And remember to label each in english too! :blush:

My big problem is coworkers who speak English as a second language and can not be understood on the radio, take no or very screwed up phone messages and send me on goose-chases becasue they can't dispatch due to CULTURAL, not language, issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You can find a way to communicate. Facial expressions, yes/no questions? (I know yes and no in multiple languages) Instead of asking how long or when... pointing to a watch. We don't need to grasp the subtle nuances of a person's perception of the experience but merely find out.. "Does this hurt?" and "How bad?"

If I'm looking at a grey, diaphoretic pt, grasping their chest and wincing, I'm not going to need to know that he had toast for breakfast an hour and a half ago in order to treat them.

Our hospital asks every employee to disclose which languages they know upon hire. There is a database at the hospital of who speaks what and how well. We've used that a time or two.

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
When I worked in NYC I often had that issue. I did have some partners of Hispanic origin and that obviously eliminated the Spanish language barrier. I've encountered Russian and Chinese plenty of times, and used family members that had better command of the English language. When that wasn't available I'd call the hospital to let them know what the situation was and to have a translator either come to the phone or stand by at the hospital.

With the Chinese language, that was a bit more difficult. Until I started EMS, I did not know there were so many different dialects in the Chinese language. I'd find out what dialect they spoke and handle that as mentioned above.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
They need to learn ENGLISH. I can go on with this topic forever, especially since there are families in this area that have been in the US since their grandparents came over, but mom, dad and the kids only speak spanish even now that grandma is dead. Its insane. I asked someone about it once, their response was:
(in horribly broken 'ingles') " As long as job last, why need enlassh? "

Also, the local hispanic community enters the job market immediately after high school (if they finish that) and make no attempt to attend college. Thats another thing that burns my butt.
FYI,
I can "get by" in:
"Classic Spanish", "American Spanish" German,and Russian... but my point and anger above is still valid.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
They need to learn ENGLISH. ............................Also, the local hispanic community enters the job market immediately after high school (if they finish that) and make no attempt to attend college. Thats another thing that burns my butt.
FYI,
I can "get by" in:
"Classic Spanish", "American Spanish" German,and Russian... but my point and anger above is still valid.

Wow, why waste precious life energy being angry about something over which you have no control? Very wise woman once said to me, "While you can't control what others do, you are in complete control over how you choose to respond to it?" I think it would be a better investment of your time to learn how to "accept the things you cannot change".

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
You have a valid point.
However, I'm from the school of thought that feels the Texan National Guard should install a minefield along the entire border and order a bunch of body bags.
I also feel that in order to have a job in this country one should be able to speak English. (speaking your mother tongue at home is fine)

> end of rant <

reaper

Working Bum
Yea, I think we should have accepted that British rule thing, rather then stand up to it. It would have saved a lot of wasted time!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if a person want to come into this country and be full assimilated into our world, they have to learn the language. i just dont care about immigrants who refuse to do so.

if a department or service want to pay me to learn spanish(both the cost of the course and my hourly while im learning it) id be happy to do so. other than that, i have no intention to do so.

when my grandparents came here, they had to learn english. nobody was accomodating. its ridiculous the lengths we go to to accommodate ILLEGAL immigrants. how much money does the government spend in interpreters, multilingual forms, signs etc. im sick and tired of it.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
when my grandparents came here, they had to learn english. nobody was accomodating. its ridiculous the lengths we go to to accommodate ILLEGAL immigrants. how much money does the government spend in interpreters, multilingual forms, signs etc. im sick and tired of it.

Absolutely 110% bona-fide agree!!!

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
This happens a lot in the area I rode out of. In that area, english-speakers are actually a minority. After a while, you either pick up bits and pieces of their language, or get really good at playing cherades :p.

I don't mind as much if there's just a language barrier, but when they get angry at me, as if its my fault I don't speak ______, it gets frustrating. Had a patient yelling and screaming at me and all the hospital staff for that once. Finally tracked down a nurse that spoke his language to calm him down.

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
You can find a way to communicate. Facial expressions, yes/no questions? (I know yes and no in multiple languages) Instead of asking how long or when... pointing to a watch. We don't need to grasp the subtle nuances of a person's perception of the experience but merely find out.. "Does this hurt?" and "How bad?"

If I'm looking at a grey, diaphoretic pt, grasping their chest and wincing, I'm not going to need to know that he had toast for breakfast an hour and a half ago in order to treat them.

Our hospital asks every employee to disclose which languages they know upon hire. There is a database at the hospital of who speaks what and how well. We've used that a time or two.

Perfactly put. I had a pt. not too long ago that spoke Bolivian(if I remember right). I don't remeber what we were called for though. I couldn't understand a word she spoke. I tried to listen to her carefully considered she was speaking very rapidly but did pick up o the fact she said si' often, so as I would ask her a question about pain in certain spots I would speak slowly and loudly and shake my head yes while say sior nada'while shaking my head in a no fashion. Most questions can be based in a yes and no fashion when you have a language barrier. With that being said I will not alter my pt. care just because of cultural differences but do believe that some English should be required for citizenship. Or at least effort put forth, most Americans when traveling to another country will use a pocket guide for the language. I don't see many Spanish speaking keeping a translation guide with them. Think about it, is it easier for a group of people(spanish, russian, chinese,french, german or any nationality) to learn one language or ask us to learn 6 or 7 languages so we can all communicate effeciently. The same should apply to us moving to another country just so it is clear I am not one sided.