LA County BLS 911 Ambulance Mandatory Equipment

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I really hope that's an urban legend......:eek: I can't think of any companies that actually have that as policy, I've heard of some stupid stuff but not this one....but all I know for sure is that the one pure IFT only company I've worked for definitely did NOT have that as a policy.

Anyways, yeah there's a ton of ambulance companies driving around town. They have lights and sirens and EMT's and say some form of "Ambulance" on them....but yeah, are pretty much dressed up gurney vans doing hospital discharges to SNF's, Dialysis transports, etc etc. Only 5 out of the dozens (or more) private companies in the County do any 911 response. I do know every McCormick rig has an AED, I'm pretty sure the same for Care, but not sure on AMR or Schaefer, all the rest of the AmbuMedLifeCoastStarResponseRescueOne don't actually do any sort of emergency response or transport (at least at the BLS level)

To the best of my knowledge, AMR has AEDs on BLS trucks.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
It's a requirement in the 911 response contract that private ambulance companies that are granted an EOA must be an approved AED provider.

2015 RFP Appendix B - Statement of Work (Sec. 5.5.3b) said:
Each Ambulance shall contain an approved automated external defibrillator (AED) as specified in the County's Prehospital Care Manual, Policy No. 412, EMT AED Service Provider Program Requirements.

The reason AEDs are not carried on BLS ambulances is because both the state and the county require companies to jump through hoops to become "authorized" providers. The state EMS system is set up so that to carry an AED you have to be approved. Permission to carry an AED is not automatic by virtue of being an ambulance company. That, and the overall cost associated with their purchase and maintenance vs. their actual likeliness of being used, leads most IFT companies to not bother becoming an authorized provider.

California Code of Regulations Title 22 said:
An EMT AED service provider shall be approved by the LEMSA, or in the case of state or federal agencies, the Authority, prior to beginning service.

To the best of my knowledge, AMR has AEDs on BLS trucks.
Confirmed

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't fathom an organization having a documented policy requiring its employees to withhold cpr in the event of a cardiac arrest. I simply can't process that. There are places where you need a cpr card to graduate high school and these emt's are ordered to stare of life a code?

Nucking futs....

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't fathom an organization having a documented policy requiring its employees to withhold cpr in the event of a cardiac arrest. I simply can't process that. There are places where you need a cpr card to graduate high school and these emt's are ordered to stare of life a code?

Nucking futs....
You don't need to have anything to do with medical to own an ambulance company. Alot of them are owned by guys that once owned car washes, taxi companys etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk