Just starting to pursue my new career path towards being a Paramedic.

LG1ALBERTA

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I am going to be taking my EMR ( Canada ) Course this coming September but have already started studying Human Anatomy and Physiology, to prepare my mind to be ready for going back to school.I am 26 and graduated in 2009 but was previously a Journeyman Plumber/ Gasfitter for 6 years.

I just recently got my HCP-CPR and Standard First Aid Certification so step 1 is complete.

Im reading the "Human Body Book- 2nd Edition." I started reading on 12th April and have calculated that if I give myself 1 hour per day for reading up to September 1st that will give me 142 days or 142 hours lol.

I have read the book completely but will be switching up my reading plan to read one chapter repeatedly each day for a week so I can better absorb the information on each body system.

Do you think this is a good strategy? Do you have any other study strategies?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Can you find an A&P class at a local college to take in that time period? I think that it will teach you more!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Find a community college and take English comp, algebra and A&P I and II (with lab). That’s the best preparation you can give yourself.

Maybe a student success course, if they offer one. It’ll teach you study strategy and get you set up for success.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
You are describing passive learning (just repeatedly exposing yourself to information). Studies have shown this is crap. Active learning - where you force yourself to pull information out of your brain, like on a test or if you had to know it in real life - is much better.

Instead of repeatedly reading, make question/answer flash cards and review them. Learn how to use Anki.

OP
OP
L

LG1ALBERTA

Forum Ride Along
Ok well thank you for your input guys, I will look into some of your suggestions. But I am all so using "passive learning" as I have been successful in the past with that method. But like the old saying goes " there is more than one way to skin a cat."

I look forward to what this new career path will have in stock for me, especially in the Industrial sector.